New points theory

Do you have 25 deer, elk and antelope pts?
Do you have 25 deer, elk and antelope points in UT?
My apologies for trying to mislead anyone. I have not looked at my point totals in a while and forgot some of the rules were changed 12-13 yrs ago regarding which species you could apply for in Utah. My deer total in Utah is 24 and deer/elk is lower. I was assuming my numbers would be smiler too my Az points and forgot about loyalty pts and hunter ed pts. Again, I am sorry if you think I was being disingenuous.

No matter what point system or draw system anyone wants there's not enough tags in high demand areas. Everyone going back and forth are just wanting to better the odds for themselves. Then you get to the if you get a tag for a male you lose all your points isn't going to help at all. People building points just won't go because some otc or leftover tag isn't worth burning points for. No matter what scheme is in place not everyone will be able to hunt the units they want. I have points in a few states and I like to know pretty much where I can hunt from one year to the next. Maybe everyone should stop worrying about the best units and try hunting better units. Lots of good hunting with 5 points

Only noobs & goobs avoid answering questions.

Answer! You shouldn’t post here if you can’t participate in constructive dialog. You run away like a little schoolgirl.

I saved your freakin tags. The least you could do is answer my questions. God forbid thanking me!
You realize that there is something wrong with you, right?

Ignored.

Edited:

I just can't... unignored.

You wanna talk about constructive dialog but what you don't get is the only thing I hear from you on here is : Me, my, I.

You say you did this and you did that and thump your chest about how you saved "my" tags.

Negative. If you did all that it wasn't for me or anyone else, it was for you, and it isn't hard to figure that out by reading through your post history.

Last edited:
My apologies for trying to mislead anyone. I have not looked at my point totals in a while and forgot some of the rules were changed 12-13 yrs ago regarding which species you could apply for in Utah. My deer total in Utah is 24 and deer/elk is lower. I was assuming my numbers would be smiler too my Az points and forgot about loyalty pts and hunter ed pts. Again, I am sorry if you think I was being disingenuous.
Oh no I didn't think you were being disingenuous at all. I was just wondering if you were saying you had a combined 25 points between the three states ... Like 8 deer points in each of the three states, or had around 25 in each state.

That being said, with 24 deer points in UT, you are in a really good position for a premium tag. You should be able to draw any tag except the Henry's, including Paunsaugunt rifle (right on cusp) or muzzleloader.

If you have 24 UT elk you can draw one of many premium tags early or late rifle and hunt 350+ inch bulls.

You have arrived. Spend those point :)

Last edited:
Oh no I didn't think you were being disingenuous at all. I was just wondering if you were saying you had a combined 25 points between the three states ... Like 8 deer points in each of the three states, or had around 25 in each state.

That being said, with 24 deer points in UT, you are in a really good position for a premium tag. You should be able to draw any tag except the Henry's, including Paunsaugunt rifle (right on cusp) or muzzleloader.

If you have 24 UT elk you can draw one of many premium tags early or late rifle and hunt 350+ inch bulls.

You have arrived. Spend those point :)
I do actually have 24 deer pts in Ut and Nev. Max deer pts in Az. Would trade them all for a Strip or Pauns rifle tag. With all the pts I have, may still never draw one of those while I can still hunt.

I do actually have 24 deer pts in Ut and Nev. Max deer pts in Az. Would trade them all for a Strip or Pauns rifle tag. With all the pts I have, may still never draw one of those while I can still hunt.
I wouldn't trade them all for a Pauns tag ...just trade the Utah points, because you're there already.

44% of NR applicants with 24 deer points drew the Paunsaugunt rifle tag last year when you had 23 points. You only have about 100 NR with more points than you. Some are probably already dead and most aren't even trying to draw. Or you can almost go for sure next year to the Pauns with a muzzleloader tag in a state where muzzleloaders that shoot 800 yards are legal.

I'd go hunting if I were in your shoes.

I wouldn't trade them all for a Pauns tag ...just trade the Utah points, because you're there already.

44% of NR applicants with 24 deer points drew the Paunsaugunt rifle tag last year when you had 23 points. You only have about 100 NR with more points than you. Some are probably already dead and most aren't even trying to draw. Or you can almost go for sure next year to the Pauns with a muzzleloader tag in a state where muzzleloaders that shoot 800 yards are legal.

I'd go hunting if I were in your shoes.
I like your advice and very much appreciate it. Thanks!!! Given my work and family situation, it is time to start using as many as I can.

Junior, I’m going to go out on a limb and guess you weren’t around in 2012 when I stopped AZ HB2072, which saved the 500 top public trophy tags in the best trophy state from the auction block. That was ten years ago. 500 x 10 = 5,000 hunters that are now out of your way. And those 500 primo tags are there today for you to apply for, for years to come.

Where were you in 2012? I don’t recall you offering to help me by emailing legislators. I don’t recall you doing anything. Don’t you think that would have been the “ethical” thing to do?

You are doing a fine job proving your noob status all by yourself.
Questions for you. How do you know that you singlehandedly stopped hb2072?

Why did people need to "offer to help you" in order to email the AZ legislature in 2012?
Were you aware of everyone who did?

Questions for you. How do you know that you singlehandedly stopped hb2072?

Why did people need to "offer to help you" in order to email the AZ legislature in 2012?
Were you aware of everyone who did?
Because it was all videod and broadcast in three segments on KTVK Phoenix.

Wow every email/call to representatives?
They said that you stopped the bill?
How did you do it? Please share your approach.
Elkmagnet, I have seen your name here for some time. How old are you? Do you apply in AZ? You mean you don’t remember HB2072 when SFW (Utah) formed AZSFW for 5 years then bought lame duck legislator Jerry Weiers to sponsor their emergency bill to snatch these tags? It was a huge deal at the time. SFW was aggressively making the rounds of all the western states trying to pull this. Alaska was one. Their bogus wildlife manager Corey Rossi gave them a few tags for the SLC Expo and ended up losing his job over it. You can Google both these scandals up are read the archives. They are still available. My action was to take a different approach to 2072. I emailed all the TV stations in Phoenix appealing for their watchdog reporters to take the story. I included Weiers campaign contribution list and links to ten scandals SFW had been involved with, including Rossi. The next day reporter Crystal Cruz asked to interview me at AZG&F headquarters in Phoenix, then ran to cold call Weiers at his office, where he panicked and spilled the beans on camera. He apologized on camera, claiming he wasn’t aware of SFW’s motives, and promptly pulled the legislation the following day. The whole thing ended within 48 hours of my email. I got about 50 phone calls from AZ residents I didn’t know, thanking me. These same residents had already emailed their representatives but without any luck. It took the TV interviews to expose this scam and blow it up. I got two death threats over this.

Last edited:
The message I want to send is that one person can make a difference. So hunters should educate themselves where these tags really go and take action, usually legislatively. Fight outfitter welfare and auction tags, not your fellow sportsmen. Don’t just walk around bangin a cup like a panhandler. I’m 61, started working at age 12, and have never spent a single day on unemployment or welfare. I was taught to take pride in that. But today it seems folks take pride in gaming the system and stealing from others. They bring nuthin to the table. Just like Cool Hand Luke.

Elkmagnet, I have seen your name here for some time. How old are you? Do you apply in AZ? You mean you don’t remember HB2072 when SFW (Utah) formed AZSFW for 5 years then bought lame duck legislator Jerry Weiers to sponsor their emergency bill to snatch these tags? It was a huge deal at the time. SFW was aggressively making the rounds of all the western states trying to pull this. Alaska was one. Their bogus wildlife manager Corey Rossi gave them a few tags for the SLC Expo and ended up losing his job over it. You can Google both these scandals up are read the archives. They are still available. My action was to take a different approach to 2072. I emailed all the TV stations in Phoenix appealing for their watchdog reporters to take the story. I included Weiers campaign contribution list and links to ten scandals SFW had been involved with, including Rossi. The next day reporter Crystal Cruz asked to interview me at AZG&F headquarters in Phoenix, then ran to cold call Weiers at his office, where he panicked and spilled the beans on camera. He apologized on camera, claiming he wasn’t aware of SFW’s motives, and promptly pulled the legislation the following day. The whole thing ended within 48 hours of my email. I got about 50 phone calls from AZ residents I didn’t know, thanking me. These same residents had already emailed their representatives but without any luck. It took the TV interviews to expose this scam and blow it up. I got two death threats over this.
Knocking on 40, Have AZ points,
I do remember reading that what a terrific asshat sizing. Bravo!
With that In mind Ill be frank about how I read your responses to this thread.
First you keep speaking in absolute and seem to think everyone somehow owes you. You are quick to point out how you didn't get any help/everyone else is lazy this is to your own detriment. Assume = Ass of you and me.
It seems you have let your conquest go to your head. (Can't say that I wouldn't)
The arrogance has/will effect future battles. I am going to bet that we are a few more battles from a Zim statue going up in Phoenix.
Your need to dismiss everything that you don't like as communism in an attempt to silence others is transparent when reading threads you participate in.
Ironically you fight against SFW when all they wanted was to distribute hunt tags in a capitalistic manner. Grey areas!
Anyway I hope you enjoy the hunts that you mentioned and bask in the success and determination in the points game.

Knocking on 40, Have AZ points,
I do remember reading that what a terrific asshat sizing. Bravo!
With that In mind Ill be frank about how I read your responses to this thread.
First you keep speaking in absolute and seem to think everyone somehow owes you. You are quick to point out how you didn't get any help/everyone else is lazy this is to your own detriment. Assume = Ass of you and me.
It seems you have let your conquest go to your head. (Can't say that I wouldn't)
The arrogance has/will effect future battles. I am going to bet that we are a few more battles from a Zim statue going up in Phoenix.
Your need to dismiss everything that you don't like as communism in an attempt to silence others is transparent when reading threads you participate in.
Ironically you fight against SFW when all they wanted was to distribute hunt tags in a capitalistic manner. Grey areas!
Anyway I hope you enjoy the hunts that you mentioned and bask in the success and determination in the points game.
Thanks so much for your eloquent assessment and enthusiastic support! Lol, as I mention in the post above, my reason for bringing up this success is not to brag, but to let others know one person can make a difference. Take real action. Contacting your legislators is an easy and productive way to start. They are only human and often appreciate you educating them. I had 10 or 12 email me about that fact on this one bill alone. That's also why I knew to educate my sister-in-law this summer, 10th district representative in Utah. She had no clue about the corrupt SFW.

this thread definitely didn’t go in the direction I thought it would 😳
Matt
So for those of us that procreated to late, how do we work within a system (or systems) that can give our "creations" a chance we had as young hunters? I personally don't understand why the Zim's of the world wouldn't be okay with a system that allows their 25 points to be 25 names in the hat every year until they draw or kick the bucket. Hunters with no points would have 1 name in the hat, but have a chance. Eventually, points peter out (not including hunts with high numbers of max pt holders and few tags). What is so bad about that?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back