Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New old rifle 22 Hornet

Durango Mike

Just finishing touches on a Low wall in 22 Hornet, or as barrel is marked 22WCF.IMG_0091.jpg. It finally has a proper 10X Lyman Target spot (still crystal clear!) period scope in time for prairie dogs, a heavy octagonal Wiseman barrel, low wall action resurrected from a wreck that was originally a 25-20, had a great 'smith make the extended lever that matches the stock contour, single set trigger. When the rain stops I will shoot some groups to post, it came out so good it made me wish I had used a really fancy stock blank. Eat your heart out Shrapnel and Ben Lamb! Then again you two will just post even cooler rifle pictures! How about just single shots on this thread?

The Hornet... as my name suggests I like it alot. Mine ( sorry not a single shot a 1941 Model 70 with lyman 48 peep) has been all over the country. It is my favorite rifle to shoot. Great little round for the kiddos to shoot to. I have never laughed so hard than on an antelope hunt when the owner of the ranch said we could go shoot pdogs. Holy smokes was that awesome/fun.
Very nice rifle you have there. Well done.

So the gauntlet has been thrown. No nice wooded repeaters. How about a single shot that is just as cool as the Hornet, but in 22 long?

Winchester low wall, half round, half octagon, shipped to W.F. Sheard in Livingston, Montana, sometime before 1892...

AEBD99C3-7CA6-42C1-ACE5-167E15CD1F59.jpeg

75F878E0-8094-4B2B-8F3C-9F7060E57AF0.jpeg

outstanding! now I have to go to the safe again!
The Hornet... as my name suggests I like it alot. Mine ( sorry not a single shot a 1941 Model 70 with lyman 48 peep) has been all over the country. It is my favorite rifle to shoot. Great little round for the kiddos to shoot to. I have never laughed so hard than on an antelope hunt when the owner of the ranch said we could go shoot pdogs. Holy smokes was that awesome/fun.
Very nice rifle you have there. Well done.
One of the rifles I sold a few years back and still have a few regrets even though it sold for $1200 with a barrell that was totally shot out with minimal rifling left.

I got a savage 342 in .22 hornet. No telling how many woodchucks I killed with it over the years. Over a thousand for sure.

I got a savage 342 in .22 hornet. No telling how many woodchucks I killed with it over the years. Over a thousand for sure.
Mine was a pre 64 model 70 that I bought for $100 in 1966 upstate NY and shot a bunch of 'chucks with that all through college.Had a K hornet in a low wall that went as well while paying off college loans, wish I had them back for the memories alone!

I'd considered a Hornet for a number of years but not the standard Hornet, K Hornet. Had a friend in Montana had a single shot Hornet, don't recall the brand and a beautiful Walther in a Hornet. Problem with the Hornet was he had a number of case separations with them! I'm not sure why but I always though it was because of the lack of shoulder on the case. Figured if it had more shoulder it would be better supported. Oh yea, all we ever shot out of them was cast bullet's too! Those rifle's were both great to shoot and accurate to boot but the case separations bothered me. Do any of you guys shooting them now have that problem with reloads?

Come to think of it, maybe the case's were just to light and cast loads were not filling the chamber well but still pulling on the case? I don't know, maybe?

I'd considered a Hornet for a number of years but not the standard Hornet, K Hornet. Had a friend in Montana had a single shot Hornet, don't recall the brand and a beautiful Walther in a Hornet. Problem with the Hornet was he had a number of case separations with them! I'm not sure why but I always though it was because of the lack of shoulder on the case. Figured if it had more shoulder it would be better supported. Oh yea, all we ever shot out of them was cast bullet's too! Those rifle's were both great to shoot and accurate to boot but the case separations bothered me. Do any of you guys shooting them now have that problem with reloads?

Come to think of it, maybe the case's were just to light and cast loads were not filling the chamber well but still pulling on the case? I don't know, maybe?
Given it is a tapered case that headspace on the rim it can be overworked with full length resizing. I never had any problem with the K Hornet even though it also headspaces on the rim. I have only owned single shots in various flavor hornets and 1 pre 64 model 70, as I recall the extractor setup with bolt actions may be a factor as there is a possibility it might keep cases with over thick rims with a few thousandths from fully chambering which would stretch them. I know some of the older cases I had were more prone to split necks after many loading's. Shrapnel might have a better reason.

This was my repeater, a Pre-War Winchester model 70 carbine. I just wasn't shooting it, so I sold it. I still have the Sako L-46. The Hornet is a fantastic round and doesn't need making a "K" out of it...

DSCN3454.JPGDSCN3455.JPGDSCN4345.JPG

Back