Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New Old Mauser

kiwi hunta

What shall I do with this:)

P1000624.jpg

P1000622.jpg

P1000618.jpg

Kiwi, I'd leave that old Boer veteran as is unless it's worn out. It's hard to beat the 7X57 unless you want something hot and flat. That action won't take much more than a .270 anyway.

It looks as if it's been well cared for to be over 100 yrs. old.

Last edited:
I'd vote for a peep site and feed it a bunch of powder. 7x57 is what my go to gun is chambered in. I don't think you'd gain much by rechambering it in anything.

Its one of the early boer war rifles used by orange free state in their civil war in South Africa, kinda neat really,

Is been sporterised and a peep sight fitted probably 70years ago, I scrubbed out the bore and its pristine, just ordered some brass and will pick up some dies and try some loads :)

Jeff.

Since it's been sportered, I'd restock in the pleizer style and keep the peep sight and shoot the big long bullets at moderate velocity. 173 grn Round Nose @ 2300 fps is what it was designed for, IIRC.

But that's just me. Nice rifle, and a wonderful piece of history. :)

Took it into the gunsmith today and had a long chat which included every other hunter who wandered in lol, the bore is very very good so will leave it as is, my eyes aint up to much so going to try the peep sight, otherwise drill and tap and put a lightweight 2-7 on it, get the trigger worked on and load some roundnose 154 and 173 bullets at moderate pressures, I did ask for a gas release hole drilled into the bottom of the bolt, I know none of us have had a primer go but just in case.

cheers
Jeff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back