Caribou Gear

New MR Metcalf Pack video

MT_Wyatt

First info I've seen on the new MR back besides their Facebook announcement, looks awesome. Frame extension looked like it really got the load lifters up there. I'm excited, have been waiting for this to come out ever since I read the "MR Rumor" thread.

(From Rockslide guys)
http://vimeo.com/57746547

AWESOME! Not sure I'm all about no external pouches, but it's supposed to be around 3600 cu in so it'll be great for camping for a few days. Really great option.

Is it worth it even if you already have a crew cab, penguin, and 6500?

It sure looks good...

It is not on the website yet, but I saw it at the SHOT show. I wish it had a couple small gear pockets for things that you stop and pull out a lot on a day hunt like compass, headlamp, maps, snacks and such.

Wonder why they wouldn't just make the longbow bag bigger. I like all the pockets and you still can zip it down and see all the contents without digging. Seems like it would of been a no brainer. Fitting the void between it and a 6500

This bag is lighter than the longbow, carries better with heavy weights, and with the full length side zip, as well as the lid, every bit as convenient. It's the cat's ass. I used a couple versions of this last fall. Only time I used the longbow was while antelope hunting. Buzz, you'll want it.

Kurt did you find that it was big enough for tent,sleeping bag,pad, clothes ect..for multiple days? If so is there any room left to haul some meat, horns etc.. out with the first load?

How big is it? Looks small, maybe ideal for a day pack, or long weekend, but nothing close to a 7-10day pack.

Is MR going to go light weight bag/frame any time soon? I love my MR pack, but am tired of packing 10lb empty... I have another pack on order that's over 5lbs lighter. We'll see how it handles before the MR 6500/CC package goes up for sale. I have a feeling someone will be getting a "sweet" package deal.

Now before all the purists get all bent out of shape... I've been lugging a MR for 8 years... I love it, but the extra bulk sucks, especially when then there are others out there that weigh a LOT less. Lets face it, we're backpacking, weight is everything. My fat ass could lose weight, but its easier for me to lose it on my back. :) I'll be cutting almost 10lbs off my pack this fall, half of that will be in my MR pack.

MR needs to step up and come out with something competitive in the light weight category. They're losing me as a consumer I think. I'll let you know later this year, once I strap on 100lbs of moose antlers to the new pack and see if I change my tune...

Kurt did you find that it was big enough for tent,sleeping bag,pad, clothes ect..for multiple days? If so is there any room left to haul some meat, horns etc.. out with the first load?

You must have missed his meat pics :D

He posted them on another thread

I plan on getting this bag once it is out. I need something bigger than the longbow but I don't really want to step up to the 6500 for the reasons Bambistew mentioned. If the bag is 3600 alone it would be 4500 with the daypack lid attached. That should work for most of the trips I do and I think it would put it right around the overall weight of the longbow. Now that it was officially announced at the SHOT show they can put out some detailed specs. It seems to have been top secret up to this point.

You must have missed his meat pics :D

He posted them on another thread

Yea I'll go back and look at the Goat hunt thread. It always seemed that the pack was completely full of gear with no room for much to come back on the first load. Will be fun to check it out.
Boy it's hard to not want to look at the Stone Glacier with the weight loss it has. Having not used one I wonder if you will get more frame flexing with it over the Nice frame with heavy loads?
I guess Bambi will let us know:D

Lawnboy, the bag is 3600 cubic inches. I don't know how you can think my bag is so full of gear there's no room for anything else. This particular bag will be my 5 day and under pack. I've always used the 6500, but couldn't never fill that bag, too big for what I'd use around here.

With a prototype of this Metcalf bag, I packed out an entire boned out elk, it's antlers, and my camp.. in 2 trips. You can fit around 130lbs of meat inside the main bag.

Also, if you don't think being able to stuff 130# of meat inside the bag is quite enough, you can compression the bag to the frame. :D

Last edited:
Camp, gear, and 70# or so of meat inside the bag, and you can press a quarter to frame if you want. These photos are not the final version, which will have great improvements. I don't see this as a "daypack" of any sorts. The photo of the rifle and poles stuck into the snow next to the bag... both front and both hinds from an elk are inside the bag.

Link... http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=250808&highlight=Hearse&page=4

Thanks Kurt. I was just going off of memory of some of the pictures. I'll dig back through if you haven't deleted them. I have yet to carry a 130 lb pack so I'll take your word on it as far as it being able to handle it.
It looks great. Just was wanting some more first hand coaxing and you're the only one I know who's used it.

Any chance MR is ever going to make any other frames? The Duplex and Bikini Frames from Kifaru are going like crazy, and i'll be honest, the weight and load lifter issue was why I picked Kifaru.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back