New Mexico Unit 51 Archery - First Time Hunter

amalpine

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time elk hunter in New Mexico Unit 51, north of El Rito and west of Tres Piedras. I just drew a Sep 1-14 bow tag and was wondering if anyone had some pointers they would be willing to share about the area. I've done some e-scouting and intend to scout numerous times over the summer-fall time frame, but was wondering if anyone would be willing to share general information about where I should start, historically observed hunt pressure dynamics, etc. I'd appreciate any information you can offer! I'd love to bring a fresh backstrap to my friends wedding happening at the end of my hunt. Thanks in advance!

Good luck amalpine...I am heading to 52, but a few weeks after you...I drew GMU52 first rifle...and like you, don't have a clue on the area. I am in Virginia in the Military, but dreaming about Northern New Mexico Elk!!

Watching your threads.

Congrats on the tag...may your arrows fly straight!

Good luck amalpine...I am heading to 52, but a few weeks after you...I drew GMU52 first rifle...and like you, don't have a clue on the area. I am in Virginia in the Military, but dreaming about Northern New Mexico Elk!!

Watching your threads.

Congrats on the tag...may your arrows fly straight!
We'll be in 52 for early archery. I don't know the area but I'm hoping to learn something. Feel free to hit me up before you go.

Good luck out there! A buddy of mine from the area drew that tag. I will be out there with him attempting to film and help him out! Maybe see you out there during some bow hiking!

Nice draw! I don't think i'm ready to try an Archery hunt just yet, but I'll be out in Unit 51 during the 2nd Rifle trying my best for my first ever elk hunt Good luck and save a big one for me!

I guess I'm too pumped to keep things straight. I actually pulled for first archery in 51 this year after getting skunked last year. This will be my first outing and am pretty excited. I live in Pojoaque so the drive up there will be a breeze. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Already picked up quite a bit of info on this site. I'm a meat guy so will be looking for a quality cow which it sounds like is very realistic in this unit.

I guess I'm too pumped to keep things straight. I actually pulled for first archery in 51 this year after getting skunked last year. This will be my first outing and am pretty excited. I live in Pojoaque so the drive up there will be a breeze. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Already picked up quite a bit of info on this site. I'm a meat guy so will be looking for a quality cow which it sounds like is very realistic in this unit.
Good luck! Look high.

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time elk hunter in New Mexico Unit 51, north of El Rito and west of Tres Piedras. I just drew a Sep 1-14 bow tag and was wondering if anyone had some pointers they would be willing to share about the area. I've done some e-scouting and intend to scout numerous times over the summer-fall time frame, but was wondering if anyone would be willing to share general information about where I should start, historically observed hunt pressure dynamics, etc. I'd appreciate any information you can offer! I'd love to bring a fresh backstrap to my friends wedding happening at the end of my hunt. Thanks in advance!
Hey all. I, also on the lookout for any intel about NM unit 51. I drew 2nd season archery and this will be my first hunit in NM. Thank you.

Hunted 51 last year and was lucky enough to shoot a bull! Biggest thing I learned is find the water, find the water you’ll most likely find the elk. Waters a very big deal in New Mexico

Good luck! Look high.
Getting ready for my first time out. You said to look high. Still holding to that advice? Also, what exactly is high for that area. I've looked at Canjallon Mtn and the Ridge while based out of Trout Lakes. So are you saying 10K and above?

Getting ready for my first time out. You said to look high. Still holding to that advice? Also, what exactly is high for that area. I've looked at Canjallon Mtn and the Ridge while based out of Trout Lakes. So are you saying 10K and above?
Tried to PM but I'm an idiot and don't know how. Sounds like you're thinking correctly.

There's been a lot of rain this year, so water holes might not be as good as a normal season.

Hey all. I, also on the lookout for any intel about NM unit 51. I drew 2nd season archery and this will be my first hunit in NM. Thank you

Hey all. I, also on the lookout for any intel about NM unit 51. I drew 2nd season archery and this will be my first hunit in NM. Thank you.
I'm headed that way in two weeks myself. Due to a last minute cancellation I'll be coming solo. Hunted the unit last season - hunted high - but the freak early snow really messed up last years hunt. Its a beautiful piece of ground though - and not terribly difficult to get around. I was the only camp in my drainage - hope that doesn't change. Where in the unit do you plan to hunt. If you happen to be solo and are interested - I'd enjoy your company...just a thought.

Hi, I’m currently in 51 right now and wondering if you have any suggestions. Most people said elk would be everywhere and would be able to see plenty. But so far haven’t seen one at all. Thanks for any advice or help in advance!

Back