New Mexico Unit 34 Elk Questions

My cousin and I were lucky enough to both draw a New Mexico Unit 34 Archery Season 2 elk tag. We feel extremely fortunate for this opportunity and realize this is likely a once in a lifetime opportunity. Our previous hunts together have taken us to Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming all on General/OTC tags. My cousin who lives closer to New Mexico will be taking two scouting trips down before the season and we plan on spending a few days scouting before the second season starts. I have a few questions in regards to Unit 34.

-There appears to be a lot of roads in the unit. Is it worth packing in or just road camping?
-Are the roads all passable with a 4x4 pickup or does it make sense to bring a side by side?
-Does anyone know of a packing service in the area?
-What kind of pressure should we expect from both hunters and recreation?
-What is the best town to refill on supplies and get a good meal?
-From those who have been successful in the area what tactic has created your success- calling, glassing, spot and stalk, sitting watering holes?
-Name of a trusted meat locker to leave meat at while we hopefully try to fill a second tag?
-Any observations from those who have been on this hunt or to this area that they would like to share?

Thanks everyone,
Garrett
Elk everywhere, it is like a zoo. Best hunt I had in my life

Hello everyone hunting in unit 34 this season. First and foremost, good luck! This is my first time in this unit. Quick question, from what I researched on CWD, this unit is listed as positive for CWD- but I can’t find actual numbers and or density of cwd. Anyone who’s hunted this unit, did you ever take an animal that was contaminated? Also, how complicated was testing the animal? Thanks again. Good luck everyone.

Never tested any of my Elk, in 34 or in Wyoming. A friend lives in 34 and I don't think he tests any of his either.

I called NMGF last year for unit 34. The local office said they hadn't had a confirmed case in almost 10 years. She also said they didn't offer testing sites during archery seasons and had something to do with a combination of staffing and supply issues. Could contact them and see if it changed this year. My info was from the Roswell field office.

I called NMGF last year for unit 34. The local office said they hadn't had a confirmed case in almost 10 years. She also said they didn't offer testing sites during archery seasons and had something to do with a combination of staffing and supply issues. Could contact them and see if it changed this year. My info was from the Roswell field office.
This is good to hear. I may give them a call and report back. I haven’t encountered anyone who’s been in the area who’s had an issue. I can’t wait. But I’ve also never been to a “crowded unit” before. So that should be interesting

Unit 34 NM Rifle in October - getting excited! My wife retired from teaching a year ago but was asked to come back and sub for eight weeks to fill a position vacated by a teacher on maternity leave and she wraps that up on October 6. We plan to drive out to 34 on October 9, get familiar with the area for a couple days and then head back to Arkansas. I will then head back with a couple friends about October 18 - 19 for the hunt that starts the 21st. Hope to learn a bit on the pre-trip, find some decent places to eat and see some nice scenery while travelling with the wife. Then the hunting gets serious!

Last edited:
Unit 34 NM Rifle in October - getting excited! My wife retired from teaching a year ago but was asked to come back and sub for eight weeks to fill a position vacated by a teacher on maternity leave and she wraps that up on October 6. We plan to drive out to 34 on October 9, get familiar with the area for a couple days and then head back to Arkansas. I will then head back with a couple friends about October 18 - 19 for the hunt that starts the 21st. Hope to learn a bit on the pre-trip, find some decent places to eat and see some nice scenery while travelling with the wife. Then the hunting gets serious!
Good luck! Great tag.

If you like BBQ, you must try Mad Jacks Mountain Top BBQ. The BEST I have ever had!! Good luck!! You should have a blast!

Just a few more weeks! My son and I are very excited for this trip. From what locals are saying , including family, we are planning to stay up there for longer than needed. I’m told by the same people elk are abundant and if you can’t find one you’re just bad… with that said, should I not plan on staying a few days before the hunt begins? We have never hunted this area and are not too familiar with it -that is my main motivation for going up a few days leading to the hunt. I’m not hunting a trophy, just my first Elk.

Looks like we will be on the mountain for the same hunt! Good luck!!

Just a few more weeks! My son and I are very excited for this trip. From what locals are saying , including family, we are planning to stay up there for longer than needed. I’m told by the same people elk are abundant and if you can’t find one you’re just bad… with that said, should I not plan on staying a few days before the hunt begins? We have never hunted this area and are not too familiar with it -that is my main motivation for going up a few days leading to the hunt. I’m not hunting a trophy, just my first Elk.
Randy preaches go 1-2 days early! Make sure you have OnX and know how to use it. Check into 16 Springs Canyon or Russia Canyon.

Randy preaches go 1-2 days early! Make sure you have OnX and know how to use it. Check into 16 Springs Canyon or Russia Canyon.
Good info. Thanks. I do plan to be up there a few days prior. I’m hoping I can find a nice place to setup base camp away from others. Is this unit really as crowded with hunters as they say it is?

Quick update- I had a weekend free, so I went out scouting in this unit, more or less for a good base campsite. I’ve never spent too much time in this area in the past, I’ve lived in Ruidoso for about five years as a kid. Such a beautiful place when you’re up high in the mountains, I did see signs of elk, but did not see any besides the ones on the side of the road. Overall was a decent trip and I look forward to the hunt. Was not impressed with the site. I chose to camp, but I have time to find another spot before the hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back