Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Mexico Unit 34 Elk Questions

I am not saying they are bad maybe I came at a really busy time or there were other problems

My cousin and I were lucky enough to both draw a New Mexico Unit 34 Archery Season 2 elk tag. We feel extremely fortunate for this opportunity and realize this is likely a once in a lifetime opportunity. Our previous hunts together have taken us to Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming all on General/OTC tags. My cousin who lives closer to New Mexico will be taking two scouting trips down before the season and we plan on spending a few days scouting before the second season starts. I have a few questions in regards to Unit 34.

-There appears to be a lot of roads in the unit. Is it worth packing in or just road camping?
-Are the roads all passable with a 4x4 pickup or does it make sense to bring a side by side?
-Does anyone know of a packing service in the area?
-What kind of pressure should we expect from both hunters and recreation?
-What is the best town to refill on supplies and get a good meal?
-From those who have been successful in the area what tactic has created your success- calling, glassing, spot and stalk, sitting watering holes?
-Name of a trusted meat locker to leave meat at while we hopefully try to fill a second tag?
-Any observations from those who have been on this hunt or to this area that they would like to share?

Thanks everyone,
Garrett
I’ve hunted the area for the past eight years.
The area gets a lot of hunters so packing in is your best bet. There are a ton of elk in the area but the nice ones know to stay away from roads and two tracks.
The closest town is cloudcroft but there is not a lot to pick from. You can drive down the mountain to Alamogordo and get everything there. It’s 20 miles from cloudcroft to Alamogordo

I’ve hunted the area for the past eight years.
The area gets a lot of hunters so packing in is your best bet. There are a ton of elk in the area but the nice ones know to stay away from roads and two tracks.
The closest town is cloudcroft but there is not a lot to pick from. You can drive down the mountain to Alamogordo and get everything there. It’s 20 miles from cloudcroft to Alamogordo
If you have more questions let me know. I’ll be up there for a deer hunt in November and I have a ton of points on Onyx for the area

I drew the rifle tag for 34 for this year! Looking forward to it!
Congrats!! That’s a fun hunt for sure.
It’s going to sound cliche but literally throw a dart at the map of 34 and you can find elk. If you can get there a few days early you could easily find some bulls for opening day.

I drew an archery tag for early September in this unit. Any suggestions on where to get started with scouting?

Buy some boots.
You’ll be looking at staying in Cliudcroft hotels, not fancy but work. There are tons of elk in the area but look for areas that are not by the roads and be willing to hunt where the others hunters won’t be. Easy access areas are way over hunted and are not productive. Look for areas that are landlocked by private land and we’re it takes a little ground work to get too

get the tag first then lets talk hunting it

I drew an archery tag for early September in this unit. Any suggestions on where to get started with scouting?
I drew the same tag. Going to recommend scouting in Lewis Canyon, Little Lewis Canyon, Seep Canyon and Hughes Canyon. Always had good luck.

Buy some boots.

I drew the same tag. You might want to try Lewis, Little Lewis, Seep and Hughes Canyon near Weed. There are a lot of waterholes and large meadows for grazing. Beautiful place to hunt. All Canyons are connected and makes for a full day of scouting.

I camped and hunted off of Wills Canyon. Plenty of elk, an a more seasoned elk hunter could easily get a nice bull. My first time, and I passed on plenty of smaller animals. If someone is in that area I can tell you where I found tons of animals, just could not close the distance on one I wanted. The area I was in is difficult lit terrain, very thick, and could be a hard pack out. But if you want to be left alone and hear some action, I can send you to a spot.
I sounds like you had quite the first hunt. I have been applying since 1991 and finally drew out a bow tag for bull elk and deer in unit 34. I will be near Wills Canyon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back