New Mexico unit 17 elk

Whitetail180ks

I'm new to this site, but I'm looking for info on unit 17 in New Mexico for archery Elk, I will be hunting there this fall. I don't want hunting spots. What I need is the condition of the forrest roads and do you have to be a Olympic athlete to hunt this unit, I'm in pretty good shape and this is my 25th elk hunt, but........any help would be great...

The east side has really good roads,maybe too good. We saw elk at lower elevations during a deer hunt, mostly rolling juniper hills. If you have to go higher, the terrain is pretty rough, really rough.

I haven't been there for many years. The unit goes from plains to rough mountains. The highest country in the unit has virtually no animals as it is essentially a desert. Hunt the lower edge of the mountain range. The elk were not very thick in there when I hunted it. We hunted muzzle loader and back then, it was 100% draw. We camped in the Seargent Canyon area and hunted out from there.

There is a lot of country, so be prepared to cover some distance. There are some monsters in there if you can get lucky.

I had the tag in 2011. Really fun hunt.

You don't need to be a triathlete. There is some very rough stuff and some pretty easy stuff. Just depends upon what you are looking for. Access on the south and southwest sides are heavily controlled by landowners who have outfitters. Most the public hunting will be on the north end.

Don't overlook the low grasslands. Some of the biggest bulls taken come from those areas you may drive right past as you gain elevation.

Those elk go way out on the plains at night. I never would have guessed it without seeing it myself. You will find sign out where you think just antelope roam. They go back into the thick junipers in the daytime. The trees are very thick and when hunting, make sure that you check the south slopes within a 1/3 of the way down from the top of a ridge. I never would have guessed that to be where they roosted.

You need to pay attention where you are on the south end, as Limestone Outfitters (as seen on TV with Knight and Hale and others) run cattle down there as well as outfitting. It always made us mad because they overgrazed that area and then wondered why the elk weren't as thick as they should have been. It is largely public, though.

I swore that I would not quit hunting there until I took a bull with my muzzle loader and it took me five years. I never went back!

After some of these post, I'm having 2nd thoughts on burning cash on this unit. Sounds like the private land owners could be a problem. A lot of people are saying they would never go back. I realize that there aren't 400" behind every tree and I realize this is Elk hunting and it isn't easy, I live in Kansas and everyone thinks there are 200" whitetails behind every bush, not so. I just don't want issues with outfitters who think they own public ground. I really appreciate all the info, I really do....

17 is still a solid and with half-decent rain, will crank out at least one 400+ bull a year. Guys who put in their time regularly kill monsters in this unit. The past couple of years have been pretty tough for muzzy hunters because of drought, but there were still awesome animals killed. Get more than a half mile away from the roads and you will find elk in nearly every corner of 17, even in the Southern cactus country. The archery hunts produced fairly well this past season and with rain, this year could be even better.

The Gila is down in general and has been since the 90s. Years of severe drought and high tag numbers have hammered the trophy quality of the region (compared to what it used to be) and a lot of guys go home bummed out because they don't see the number of elk or trophy quality of elk they dreamed about. That said, if you find the remote corners with water you will find the elk AND you will find the big bulls.

Go in with GPS Hunting Maps on your gps and pick the patchwork of public and private areas apart. There are some great bulls killed in the flats every year and as mentioned above, many a big bull has been killed behind 'ol Welty's ranch (Limsetone Canyon Outfitters). Carry your GPS with chip and tell any and every rancher or outfitter who gives you a hard time that you are carrying it and they will simmer down very quickly (especially if you are in fact on public). Also, don't be afraid to go very high if the elk aren't low. You may not see a ton of elk in 17, but you could kill a giant. Definitely worth learning the unit and hunting.

-Cody

Good info, Cody. That Limestone Canyon is an impressive canyon. The squirrel hunting in 17 was always better for us than the elk. Those Abert's squirrels make great enchiladas!

Cody, thank you very much with that info, I am a HARD core hunter, I will do what it takes to have a chance. Unit 17 sounds like it will work out for me. I have been studying maps and google looking for those remote little places, I have found a few, I plan on a short scouting trip mid summer and I will also scout at least 4days prior to my hunt.. But...... It's still Elk hunting and they can ruin your plans quickly, that's why I love it.....thanks again....

WhitetailKs180 - I hunted that area for deer last year. Jumped two elk (didn't see them due to junipers and dark). There were also a lot of pines and other trees stripped of branches up to 8-9 ft. Many cholla cactus knocked down also. This was on west side of area a couple miles north of Squaw Peak, one on each side of FS road 234. If you want more specifics on location, let me know.

I have been in this unit 3 times with other along on their hunts filming and helping. Be ready to be mobile and move. The one thing I noticed is the Elk move a lot here and there lots of country.

Fun Unit to hunt but the success rates are not as high as people think

i drew a hunt in this unit mid November. Headed out to scout this coming weekend. thanks for the tips i'll pay more attention further south.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back