New Mexico Unit 12 First Season Archery

How is antler growth and overall health looking? One would hope with this rain they can finish off strong and there will be less breakage compared to 2020

Drew a first season archery tag in 12 this year. I know a few places to hunt but wondered if any one else had any ideas of good places there. As warm as it can be there early, I know it will be important to find water.
Its usually hot and very little rut activity. Hike up high in the morning and listen for any action, rhen hunt water jn the evenings. Lots of nice bulls in that unit.

Looks like nice 50 degree nights out there, way better than it is here. 106 degree heat indexes this week with lots of humidity. May or not not kill one, but at least there won’t be soaking wet the minute I step outside. Looking forward to some blue skies if the Cali smoke doesn’t blow in.

Looks like nice 50 degree nights out there, way better than it is here. 106 degree heat indexes this week with lots of humidity. May or not not kill one, but at least there won’t be soaking wet the minute I step outside. Looking forward to some blue skies if the Cali smoke doesn’t blow in.
I am a ways South of there but last weekend the skies opened up and flash floods were everywhere. It was a week ago Saturday night with a flash flood warning. Fortunately I had just put the hay up and had it in the barn by Saturday noon. The roads are washed out everywhere. Fortunately the water stopped about 40 ft short of my buildings so the house didn’t flood.

Get off of the the highways and quite a few of the roads are washed out in many parts of Southern New Mexico. Need to be running a high 4x4 or UTV. I normally use a UTV for scouting and hunting. Road graters are nowhere to be seen. I pull a trailer with an FX4 but the problem is getting a trailer in there with enough clearance. At least the days have been hot enough to dry things up. Temps around 96 highs and 59-65 lows at night.

No elk this year, had opportunities and passed on them waiting for something bigger. Did have some talking and called in 2 on the last day. Maybe it’s just me, but I’d rather do that than hunt a waterhole any day of the week. Its the best cardio you will ever get when that bull is closing the distance coming to you. Got to eat some fine green chili cheeseburgers in Pie town and in Quemado. No regrets, will still be my favorite hunt of the year!

Forgot to tell about one of my near death experiences on this Unit 12 trip. Kind of forgot about it until I saw a post about FED EX…
I had parked off of the side of a county road near a cattle guard in a curve. This road has hardly any traffic at all. While I was standing beside the truck I heard a vehicle coming down the road. Suddenly this FedEx van topped the hill going into the curve just a little under the speed of sound. He started to lose it just before the cattle guard and I took off running away from the road since he was getting sideways. As he crossed the cattle guard he didn’t have any control and ended up nearly in both ditches on each side of the road trying to regain control. He never let off the gas and kept rolling. His tracks ended up being about a foot from where I was standing. Would have been a heck of a note being killed by a FedEx truck while hunting elk in the middle of nowhere….

Forgot to tell about one of my near death experiences on this Unit 12 trip. Kind of forgot about it until I saw a post about FED EX…
I had parked off of the side of a county road near a cattle guard in a curve. This road has hardly any traffic at all. While I was standing beside the truck I heard a vehicle coming down the road. Suddenly this FedEx van topped the hill going into the curve just a little under the speed of sound. He started to lose it just before the cattle guard and I took off running away from the road since he was getting sideways. As he crossed the cattle guard he didn’t have any control and ended up nearly in both ditches on each side of the road trying to regain control. He never let off the gas and kept rolling. His tracks ended up being about a foot from where I was standing. Would have been a heck of a note being killed by a FedEx truck while hunting elk in the middle of nowhere….
Morons are driving here these days, and Fedex takes the cake. Followed by UPS and the new folks. But at least I get some of my packages. I pull to the side whenever I see a vehicle heading towards me now,they never even slow down.
I waved at the Fedex driver last week as I drove past,his a broken front axle/wheel in the ditch.I kept driving as he waved me down...

Bulls are pretty silent during the day around me, as usual.

I watched a pickup call one away this morning. He just walked away from the road the guy was bugling from and back across my place.

That sure would have made front page down there.

Back