New Mexico Unit 12 First Season Archery

Bucksnuff

Drew a first season archery tag in 12 this year. I know a few places to hunt but wondered if any one else had any ideas of good places there. As warm as it can be there early, I know it will be important to find water.

OnX is your best friend here, you’ll probably be getting a lot of “welcome to HT” soon.
I’ve been using Onx since an outfitter got me off on a private piece of property several years ago. That wasn’t a fun experience. I can’t stand trespassers around here and certainly don’t want to be one myself.
I have been looking at Onx to figure out where to hunt. Just wished it wasn’t a 14 hour drive out there or I would be scouting 6 weeks before the season.

I’ve been using Onx since an outfitter got me off on a private piece of property several years ago. That wasn’t a fun experience. I can’t stand trespassers around here and certainly don’t want to be one myself.
I have been looking at Onx to figure out where to hunt. Just wished it wasn’t a 14 hour drive out there or I would be scouting 6 weeks before the season.
Believe me when I tell you onX isn’t be all end all when it comes to property lines. Thirty years ago when I bought my farm l had it surveyed. it always been one chunk of property .fast forward to a year ago I have onX and playing around with it l look up our farm and onX is shorting me about 30 acres 😡😡

Believe me when I tell you onX isn’t be all end all when it comes to property lines. Thirty years ago when I bought my farm l had it surveyed. it always been one chunk of property .fast forward to a year ago I have onX and playing around with it l look up our farm and onX is shorting me about 30 acres 😡😡
Most counties these days have some sort of gis maps online that will also show the lots lines. Have you tried comparing to that? I know I'd be interested in seeing what shows in the county maps if my land was that off in OnX.

Most counties these days have some sort of gis maps online that will also show the lots lines. Have you tried comparing to that? I know I'd be interested in seeing what shows in the county maps if my land was that off in OnX.
Yes our county does have gis mapping. No I haven’t compared the two. A complete survey thirty years ago turned up no issues or concerns from any joining land owners one of which is a hunting club that would love to claim the thirty acres in question as it is along their boarder. I’m confident onX is wrong. But I guess it wouldn’t hurt for me to take a look at county mapping

Drew a first season archery tag in 12 this year. I know a few places to hunt but wondered if any one else had any ideas of good places there. As warm as it can be there early, I know it will be important to find water.
Good luck on your hunt! I will be hunting the 2nd archery season in 12. Can’t believe it’s only a month away. I have about a 1,400 mile drive to get to Quemado.

Good luck on your hunt! I will be hunting the 2nd archery season in 12. Can’t believe it’s only a month away. I have about a 1,400 mile drive to get to Quemado.
Good luck to you too! Second archery there is usually better than the first. Good unit, I hunted private there several years until the tags got too high. I’m definitely ready to make my 800 mile drive.

Just to flip the discussion on it's head,it is now very green and every tank,lake,ditch, low spot has water standing now. Flooding will be a problem in spots for the next couple weeks. Muddy roads for sure.

So where does one go when food & water is everywhere? Class? WWBFD?

Just to flip the discussion on it's head,it is now very green and every tank,lake,ditch, low spot has water standing now. Flooding will be a problem in spots for the next couple weeks. Muddy roads for sure.

So where does one go when food & water is everywhere?
Just my luck. Guess I’m gonna have to sound like the sluttiest hot cow in Catron county.

So where does one go when food & water is everywhere? Class? WWBFD?
Will it take a while for the water to dissipate or will it stick around for a bit based on your knowledge around your place?

Well,it's the SW.
It could be gone by Sept. But it also could rain into Oct.
The big lakes will have water probably,tanks too. The grass is growing.

I just got another inch and a half yesterday and it's raining now. The soil is finally staying muddy in spots. It was all soaking in, it was so dry.
I am hopeful this will last thru Sept.
Because we're facing another La Nina winter.

Looks like chances of rain most of next week out there. Going to be an interesting September hunt for sure.

Attachments

• EB54208F-903B-464C-8275-A8D12377918C.png
    EB54208F-903B-464C-8275-A8D12377918C.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
That isn't necessarily a bad thing. When the showers start to dissipate, get out and start blowing some kisses.

I wish it would rain where I'm going. It'll probably be in the high 80's or low 90's.

The most promising place to hunt is in pie town where you can put the sneak on some delicious pie most of the time. I scouted Unit 12 last weekend and have the pies patterned.

I noticed onx missed an important road section or two and it showed some roads as being main roads when they were not. Busted my butt into a couple of areas only to find out there was a better road, sometimes not even shown on the map.

Just out of the unit near El Malpais I saw a huge herd of elk where all the younguns were in a large pack of 50 or more and were running around like antelope in a wide open field. Apparently the elk production was pretty good this spring. Everything is super green, all valley floors show signs of massive flooding, many cows probably swept away. Water holes might not be a big deal if the rains continue. My daughter has a late Nov cow rifle tag. Good luck!

I'm hunting a nearby unit 2'nd archery. I scouted it back in May and saw enough to be enthusiastic. I scouted unit 12 two weekends ago. It's all beautiful elk country. I'm not putting much faith in water holes based on rainfall and that most bottoms had water holes along drainages and it's rained more since then. I'm thinking there's so much food the elk won't have to move much, at least on account of food resources. Rut movement, elk calls, and elk getting bumped by other hunters will be my main hope for second archery. I have spots in both units where I plan to start off, but then will cover ground/change locations till I find fresh elk sign and then hang out in likely spots. Green camo won't be out of place this year.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back