New Mexico Spring Gobbler Season for a non resident

trjones716

Hello...My brother just recently moved to New Mexico, so now im hitting the books trying to figure out all the rules, regs, and opportunities for hunting in New Mexico.

Does anyone have any experience turkey hunting public land in New Mexico. If so, are you willing to share some information? Just the quick research I have done it seems like as a nonresident, I can purchase an OTC turkey tag and hunting license (approximately $165). I think hunting on national forest is our best option? There is only a few million acres so if anyone has any helpful hints, that would be much appreciated! I also see the season is Mid April to Mid May. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to hunting early or later? Weather? Birds gobbling? Hunting Pressure?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS- My bro is living in Albequerque, so closer to there the better, but we are willing to drive any distance and camp if the hunting is worth it.

You're on the right track. Traveling as far as you will probably safer to go later in the season for weather and fewer hunters. There will be plenty of jakes in 2020, 2021 ought to be awesome. Bring a good pair of walking boots and prepare to wear them out. They like to gobble and you can hear them a lot farther than an eastern. I've never hunted Cibola right next to Albuquerque but there's plenty of NF and BLM within an hour of there that will have birds.

You're on the right track. Traveling as far as you will probably safer to go later in the season for weather and fewer hunters. There will be plenty of jakes in 2020, 2021 ought to be awesome. Bring a good pair of walking boots and prepare to wear them out. They like to gobble and you can hear them a lot farther than an eastern. I've never hunted Cibola right next to Albuquerque but there's plenty of NF and BLM within an hour of there that will have birds.

A lot of "nuts" from ALB hunt the Cibola. They will bugger your bird for sure. Or worse yet, shoot the caller. People won't talk about where they hunt turkeys here on public ground. Southeast along the rivers have Rios. Plenty of Merriams in the high country but they are well dispursed. The key is to find water up in aspen country. As stated the weather is a factor. Be prepared to get out there when the weather breaks. The frst season after I moved down here I harvested a nice Merriam's gobbler. I had no clue where to go, but I have hunted Merriams in several states and know where to find them. I put on about 500 miles of pre-season scouting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back