New Mexico Questions

jde512

OK guys, I'm going to bug you one more time (at least). I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and opinions on the following three area for early season, archery hunts, backpacking into the respective wilderness areas. Looking for information on reasonable chance of getting into elk, terrain, availability of water, etc. Thanks a bunch. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The units in question are 44/45, 5B and 21A.

21A is the Chloride, Hermosa, Kingston area. I’ve hunted deer and seen Elk sign but not Elk. I hear that Hermosa is a good area but honestly can't say. Unit 5 I’ve never hunted but seems to me to be better Elk country than 21A. Unit 44/45 is a favorite for a lot of folks, who like to pack in. For the record I don’t hunt any of these three areas, but I also don’t pack in for overnights.

I have packed into the San Pedro Parks Wilderness near Cuba NM in unit 6A. I was into elk every day. I'm planning to go back next year.

And I used to live in Alamo so I'm very familiar with 34 but alot of people hunt there too.

Call NM DG&F before committing to a unit. A lot of units are primarily winter range with few resident early season elk, especially the eastern Gila.

Unit 44/45

I hunt units 44/45 almost exclusively. It is a very large wilderness area with healthy populations of elk and deer. There is water almost everywhere, it is difficult to travel more than a 1/4 mile without crossing some type of water. The terrain is fairly gentle but there are some pretty rough areas as well. If you need further information, e-mail me.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back