New Mexico non-resident elk is is worth it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 40315
  • Start date
If a non-resident puts in with a resident, the non-resident has resident draw odds. Make some friends in New Mexico and your odds will improve.

Might want to rethink your strategy. The opposite is true, a resident would be subject to the non-resident quota.
You are correct sir.

The terminology the NMDGF uses always seems a little convoluted. Here's what their website states: "Residents who apply with one or more nonresidents will be issued a license only if there are licenses available for both the resident and nonresident pools."

I called the NMDGF to clarify that and even if a resident sets up the profile and a non resident attaches to their tag, the resident then get's non resident draw odds.

The Hunting License is not refundable. From page 13 of the 20-21 Regs:

"When applying for draw licenses for Barbary sheep, bighorn sheep, deer, elk, ibex, javelina, oryx and pronghorn, hunters must purchase a nonrefundable 2020–21 game-hunting license or game-hunting & fishing license and HMAV if applicable."

So, that's $69 for the hunting license and HMAV, plus the $13 application fee. You're buying a $82 lottery ticket for rifle hunts. You can find other hunts where you might have better odds of drawing a tag, but obviously those hunts will have lower success odds. If you only want to hunt rifle and aren't willing to risk the money, focusing elsewhere might be your best bet.

People (myself included) love NM because everyone has the same odds. For a non-resident who only wants to hunt rifle, you all have the same crappy odds. Prior to the hunting license becoming non-refundable, NM was seen as a low risk state with potentially high reward. Now that we have the non-refundable hunting license, I'm wondering if more people will look to other states so at least they can get a point for future years.

New Mexico is a big question application wise for sure. Apply or don't apply???; especially since their system put in the non-refundable hunting license fee.....before that the application could be viewed as a no-brainier but money has overtaken their want as the flood of dollars towards elk and mule deer hunting rises in the west. NM wants their share of the profits too...... I refer Big Finn's reply for this question....hope this help anyone who is questionable about the approach to state's application and their values....enjoy!;)(y)

Wisdom has definitely been put into this article/response; i believe it whole heartily....

New Mexico is a big question application wise for sure. Apply or don't apply???; especially since their system put in the non-refundable hunting license fee.....before that the application could be viewed as a no-brainier but money has overtaken their want as the flood of dollars towards elk and mule deer hunting rises in the west. NM wants their share of the profits too...... I refer Big Finn's reply for this question....hope this help anyone who is questionable about the approach to state's application and their values....enjoy!;)(y)

Wisdom has definitely been put into this article/response; i believe it whole heartily....

I think u dont need to pay the hunting licence if u dont get a tag

Resident tags come from the resident pool, nr tags come from the nr pool. Both need to be available to fill the party app or it’s bounced.

From the 21-22 Hunting Rules:

"When applying for draw licenses for Barbary sheep, bighorn sheep, deer, elk, ibex, javelina, oryx and pronghorn, hunters must purchase a nonrefundable 2021–22 game-hunting license or game-hunting & fishing license and HMAV if applicable."

In addition, there is a $13 nonrefundable application fee for each species a nonresident applies for.

From the 21-22 Hunting Rules:

"When applying for draw licenses for Barbary sheep, bighorn sheep, deer, elk, ibex, javelina, oryx and pronghorn, hunters must purchase a nonrefundable 2021–22 game-hunting license or game-hunting & fishing license and HMAV if applicable."

In addition, there is a $13 nonrefundable application fee for each species a nonresident applies for.
I got a friend in nm that told me to put in for muzzle elk and the odds are 50/50 u know if that is true im kinda confused???

I got a friend in nm that told me to put in for muzzle elk and the odds are 50/50 u know if that is true im kinda confused???
Depending on the unit and the hunt code, that is entirely possible for your friend as a resident. The non resident odds are never going to be 50/50 based on the way they allocate tags.

Depending on the unit and the hunt code, that is entirely possible for your friend as a resident. The non resident odds are never going to be 50/50 based on the way they allocate tags.
Yeah non guided nr chances are 6% thanks

As you have probably found out from other posts; non-resident application fee is $13, hunting license is $65, there is a $5 habitat stamp, and finally a $4 habitat access and validation stamp to hunt on BLM lands (All are non-refundable upfront costs that New Mexico Game and fish keep). So, your in it for $87 non-resident DIY & non-refundable upfront; not to mention credit card fees and floating credit card interest monthly. Non-residents that are not guided get upto 6% of the DIY hunters out there. 10% to outfitters and the rest of the tags, 84% to residents. So, for every 100 tags there are only upto 6 tags given to DIY hunters.....the % of awarded tags to DIY hunters is sooooo low that the upfront cost is debatable....Needle in a haystack.....%odds for drawing are often less than 1% among non-resident hunters that pool draw against themselves withing that appllcation number......Doing the math is so low it's down right stealing......thats why I keep hearing of guys that have applied for the past 15 years and not drawn....but that was before the non-refundable fees...the game has changed since then.....might be better suited to apply for a few more lotto tickets for elk hunts accross the west...odds might be higher. I'll admit, I applied last year with no luck....Can't win if you don't play but there are plenty of opportunites accross the West to hunt elk. Don't get fooled by the "everyones got a fair chance opportunity in NM" attitude.....someones counting on that attitude to make them lots of money.....the elk hunting is great yes; even trophy quality....again the % are ridiculously low. I've been doing this for a few years now and if you want to hunt elk that bad....Head for Montana....you can get tags on left-overs forever on their list of elk hunting.....again just my opinion but by wisdom gained not just knowledge......i hope this helps some people with budgets and the pressure to "get in the game" at a cost not completely considered wholey in the grand scheme of the big sport and conservation efforts of elk hunting......

As you have probably found out from other posts; non-resident application fee is $13, hunting license is $65, there is a $5 habitat stamp, and finally a $4 habitat access and validation stamp to hunt on BLM lands (All are non-refundable upfront costs that New Mexico Game and fish keep). So, your in it for $87 non-resident DIY & non-refundable upfront; not to mention credit card fees and floating credit card interest monthly. Non-residents that are not guided get upto 6% of the DIY hunters out there. 10% to outfitters and the rest of the tags, 84% to residents. So, for every 100 tags there are only upto 6 tags given to DIY hunters.....the % of awarded tags to DIY hunters is sooooo low that the upfront cost is debatable....Needle in a haystack.....%odds for drawing are often less than 1% among non-resident hunters that pool draw against themselves withing that appllcation number......Doing the math is so low it's down right stealing......thats why I keep hearing of guys that have applied for the past 15 years and not drawn....but that was before the non-refundable fees...the game has changed since then.....might be better suited to apply for a few more lotto tickets for elk hunts accross the west...odds might be higher. I'll admit, I applied last year with no luck....Can't win if you don't play but there are plenty of opportunites accross the West to hunt elk. Don't get fooled by the "everyones got a fair chance opportunity in NM" attitude.....someones counting on that attitude to make them lots of money.....the elk hunting is great yes; even trophy quality....again the % are ridiculously low. I've been doing this for a few years now and if you want to hunt elk that bad....Head for Montana....you can get tags on left-overs forever on their list of elk hunting.....again just my opinion but by wisdom gained not just knowledge......i hope this helps some people with budgets and the pressure to "get in the game" at a cost not completely considered wholey in the grand scheme of the big sport and conservation efforts of elk hunting......
Thanks ,very helpful

Great info. Thanks

The Hunting License is not refundable. From page 13 of the 20-21 Regs:

"When applying for draw licenses for Barbary sheep, bighorn sheep, deer, elk, ibex, javelina, oryx and pronghorn, hunters must purchase a nonrefundable 2020–21 game-hunting license or game-hunting & fishing license and HMAV if applicable."

So, that's $69 for the hunting license and HMAV, plus the $13 application fee. You're buying a $82 lottery ticket for rifle hunts. You can find other hunts where you might have better odds of drawing a tag, but obviously those hunts will have lower success odds. If you only want to hunt rifle and aren't willing to risk the money, focusing elsewhere might be your best bet.

People (myself included) love NM because everyone has the same odds. For a non-resident who only wants to hunt rifle, you all have the same crappy odds. Prior to the hunting license becoming non-refundable, NM was seen as a low risk state with potentially high reward. Now that we have the non-refundable hunting license, I'm wondering if more people will look to other states so at least they can get a point for future years.

I have read/seen conflicting information regarding whether you have to purchase the Habitat Stamp and HMAV to apply in New Mexico. I went back and listened to Big Fin's New Mexico application video on Youtube from this year, and he stated that you only have to purchase the Habitat Stamp and HMAV if you are successful in drawing, so that's what I'm leaning towards believing right now, but just wanted to get some verification one way or the other. Thanks in advance!

Seems easier just to pay the fee up front. If $13 makes a difference,don't apply. You need the $ for family or food.
Not many 50% draws for residents either these days. I do remember better NR odds 20 years ago. But then again I had 80% on some draws 10 years ago. One was 100%,but I did not draw it.

Odds are there will be too many applicants again this year & odds will go down for all.

Budget isn't an issue. I'm just not one to spend the extra money if it's not required. Would rather put it towards upgrading my RMEF membership than give it to NM.

Preface: I’m a resident so I speak with experience. Do it. Don’t concern yourself with the low NR % allocation and do look for opportunities outside of the Gila. NM is transparent and has all resources easily available to help your application. The NMGFD has a handy explanation of figuring draw odds. When you have your top three selections made then apply with lowest % to highest %. The randomized draw works most in your favor if you put your selections in that manner.
If you’re not drawn then consider landowner tags, especially cow tags. Also tribal tags. Alternatively, you could spend about the same as a private cow tag to get a second or third rifle MB hunt in CO.

Thanks Ben! I feel pretty good about my 3 choices and how I have them ordered. I am definitely going to apply. I was just trying to figure out if the Habitat Stamp and HMAV are required to participate in the draw, or are they only required if you draw. Also, I didn't realize the private cow tags were reasonably priced. Will have to look into that one more.
Preface: I’m a resident so I speak with experience. Do it. Don’t concern yourself with the low NR % allocation and do look for opportunities outside of the Gila. NM is transparent and has all resources easily available to help your application. The NMGFD has a handy explanation of figuring draw odds. When you have your top three selections made then apply with lowest % to highest %. The randomized draw works most in your favor if you put your selections in that manner.
If you’re not drawn then consider landowner tags, especially cow tags. Also tribal tags. Alternatively, you could spend about the same as a private cow tag to get a second or third rifle MB hunt in CO.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back