New Mexico Non-Resident Cap CHANGE

Craig S.

Alright your thoughts & wisdom...

New Mexico currently allocates permits in the antelope, Mule deer, and elk drawing as follows: 78% to residents, 12% to non-residents contracted with an outfitter, and 10% to regular non-resident applicants. This bill in the New Mexico legislature would eliminate the current allocation to non-residents giving 90% to residents and 8% to non-residents and residents who contract with an outfitter and only 2% to regular non-resident applicants.

2% for us DIY/OYO guys just seems a bit tiny... Personally, I like to see residents get a majority of the permits, but 2% for the rest of us just feels like they are kicking us in the ARSE. :W:

I am definitely not an economic genius, but it would seem by decreasing the cap for Non-Residents you would lose funding. Will this equate to a price increase for the Resident hunters? IMO they will either have to increase permit numbers or raise the resident fees, of course they could just JACK the non-resident fees through the roof.

It might not be in place this year, but I definitely think it will effect the draws.I think everyones going to want to get their one last best chance thus decreasing the draw odds.I stopped thinking about applying after I heard about all this.If they only want to give me 2% of the tags, I'll hunt elsewhere.I think I'll have better odds buying lottery tickets.I think they'll be in for a big surprise next year with this.Congrats to you guys that get drawn,but I think there are decent enough elk in alot of other places

The current plan which I believe has passed the Senate Finance Committee but still needs to go through more is 84% Resident, 10% Outfitter Sponsored and 6% Non-Resident. All Cow Elk tags and WMA hunts will be Resident only. Also, Non-Residents will be required to buy a non-refundable Hunt/Fish License for $65 to apply. I also think leftovers from the Outfitter pool go to the resident pool.

Nuts and Bolts for Non-Res DIYers in my opinion!

Without a point system and bad odds it's gonna be awful hard to justify NM in the future especially for anything besides The Gila and Rio Arriba.

It has a ways to go and not that many days to get there. May not make it to the governors desk after languishing in the house, and if it is picked up by the house quickly enough it has to get passed there.

It passed the full Senate this evening with a vote of 38 for and 3 against.

Pretty much looking like a done deal now.

So how much land do you need to get LO tags??If we can't beat them then we should join them.JK, I think,but would like to know how much land is required to get LO tags in NM

It depends on who you know. There were several folks with as little as 4 acres who received unit wide mature bull tags last year on the "small contributing landowner" list. Some even received tags for units in a different unit than they actually owned land in.

Here's a full list if you are interested. http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/documents/2010-11SCRLandownerList.pdf

As evidenced by the 10% guided carve out in the bill, it seems to be all about who you know in New Mexico.

Last edited:
IMO...

You will see resident fees increase over the next few years, along with non-residents. I just do not get this mentality of giving X to outfitters & X to diy non-residents.

On another note; if it is true about guys getting landowner tags with just 4 acres in other units that is BS! Your word & being honest is basically all you have in this world!

all get off my soap box!

I'll just buy 5 acres to be on the safe side.Oh yeah, and donate alot of money to whoevers in charge of this LO tags stuff for his re-election.See, there is a way to hunt NM every year

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back