MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New Mexico January Bow Hunt ???

BigRed

Hey all, so a buddy of mine moved to NM a year ago and is having a kid so he isn't exactly "hitting it hard" this next year. So when I saw leftover NM tags I told him we should just do it. I've never been to NM and expect this hunt to be difficult based on the survey numbers I've already looked through. We have tags for unit 21 and plan to hunt the Jan 1-15 season. Any advice, area knowledge very much appreciated. I'm hoping we will be able to see some rutting bucks and maybe even get a chance to get one within bow range.

Thanks!
-Andy

To locate em get high and glass till You find em. Then let Your hunting skills take over. The ground is noisy so get some slippers on Your stocks. Never been to that unit. Good luck. They should be rutting............BOB!

I hunted deer for the past 10 years in 21. The first thing I will tell you is that the deer populations are very very low. I spent most of my deer chasing time on the eastern side of the unit. Glass, glass glass and move if you aren't finding deer or fresh sign during the January hunt. They will be rutting and they can be called in rattling or with a fawn distress call. There will likely be a lot of road hunting (yes even during the archery season) during the opening weekend. But if you are willing to cover some country and glass your brains out you will find pockets of deer. Most of the deer I have found in January have been in the lower elevations but I have glassed cruising bucks up high. Oaks and buckbrush filled draws within a mile of water are where I typically find them in December. Find does and there will be bucks around them. Tough hunt but guys do kill the occasional nice deer in the unit. I killed some decent bucks in 21 but could never close the deal on the few big ones I came across. The foothills behind private land to the south or west of Winston are as close to starting points as you need. Your buddy better get out and do some scouting.
-Cody

Cody, thanks a ton for the info!! Very much appreciated. Very glad to hear we may actually see a deer or two. I'm planning on sending my buddy out to do some scouting and when we get there it will be boots on the ground and put on the miles hoping to find one of those pockets.

New Mexico Unit 16C

Don't have any help for unit 21, but has anyone hunted unit 16C by Cross Lake?
How is that area? Thanks in advance.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back