Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New Mexico is going up in flames

My daughter and Son in law live in White Rock and were put on notice to be prepared for evacuation. Didn't happen but they had to do the, "what do we take and what do we leave drill".

Nemont
Fire is still 15 miles from White Rock. Bigger concern is that even with calm(er) winds last night, the fire spotted in the NE. Lots of trees still on the Lab property, they are working hard to keep the fire from making it there. Might not want to be downwind of a fire burning there...

Fires don't kill very many big game animals. I've hunted recent burns for decades. The hunting is usually excellent.

Summer rains will create a nice green up.
Not sure where you got the information about not killing big game animals. Our SCU fire wiped out most everything with fur and feathers. While the elk are starting to come back, we have a small handful of deer, and a couple herds of pigs. There's no feed to speak of tens of thousands of dead trees standing and down. We have a black moonscape 2 years later.

Science says I'm correct.

Science says I'm correct.
Apparently residents say otherwise.

One more day of mild winds before it whips up again through next week. Not a good scenario.

Again, habitat recovery varies with intensity of fire over the same ground. I can go to places that burned 5 years ago and are still moonscapes. Looks like a kiln with a few weeds growing.
Yeah some places flourish and need it. Sometimes the conditions change the outcome for years.

Lots of NM residents live in these areas of the fires. We're a tough lot ,but this is a strain on everyone.

These fires will change your life. I have fought many of these big fires. One of the neighbors that fought the last fire with us didn't understand what I meant by telling him that the incoming fire would change his life forever. He understands now. Unless you've been in the middle of one, you don't understand what it can do to you.

I did not want mention it seems easy to goggle from the edge of the NW rainforest.

I thought the same for years.
But stuff changes. Like my opine.
NM will not benefit from more forests, rangeland ,homes,ranches,lives ruined.165,000 acre fires are not normal or good.

I have a picture of a close friend and neighbor sitting among the ruins of everything he owned. He committed suicide 2 days later. People, homes, trees, grass, animals, our way of life. Gone. Have some educated expert study that and write some paper on it.

I hear ya. This is my garage in the fire that nearly got my house. The deer population will eventually recover but so far it hasn’t 43721AF4-0F7A-474A-8C17-26EDA88FD831.jpeg

Talked to a buddy in Rio Arriba County this morning. He drove down with a group taking supplies to a community north of Las Vegas. Says that lots of GMU 46 and some of the small towns in the area have been pretty well destroyed.

I did. Read all the bullshit you want but real life that I am living proves different. Some college kid takes a small area, writes some reports and becomes a fing expert?
Sorry Redmt, but isn't that what you are doing? Looking at a burn that happened less than two years ago and anointing yourself an expert on fire recovery. It does take time but burned out areas do become good wildlife habitat. I have noticed that burns that seem to recover nicely in around five years now seem to be taking much longer due to the ongoing drought. I also suspect that "recovery" will look somewhat different in the future, due to climate change. I won't argue the effects on us puny humans, no body knows better than me the joys of a good wildfire but even personal recovery can be a lot quicker than one might think.

Feel sorry for guys that finally drew permits and units are buried in ash and char
This is the first since I started elk hunting didn't put in for it, I was feeling bad but would have hated to finally get tag only to have it go up in smoke! Going north this year hoping that it won't be too dry!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back