Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Mexico is going up in flames

Where abouts are you? That way if I head back out there this fire season I could offer up a hand on a day off.
Near Pie Town. Thanks for the offer. I'm good...er,OK. LOL
Where are you?
Hopefully this monsoonal flow will put a hurt on the flames before too many dry strikes happen around here.
Everyone who can drive a dozer around here is working the lines, if they don't work for hwy dept or BLM,FS. . The whole lumber mill crew is up on the Black doing hazzard removal & line security. The hwy dept is working with everyone they can. Every cafe is feeding crews, if they can. Every motel,3, has crews sleeping.

I'm watching the radar and I see rain west of me. Cool.
85 deg and 20% humidity and rising here. Dark clouds building.

Some of the best news I’ve heard all day.
hope it continues and is widespread. we have had our share this year,been a struggle trying to get hay made.

Attachments

• 58FD8189-B599-47A8-AD35-46C658220BEF.jpeg
    58FD8189-B599-47A8-AD35-46C658220BEF.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
We got a couple of thunderstorms last night at our cabin here in southern Utah. (Zion area). Not much moisture but it's a start. First rain since we opened it up for the season May 1st. The forecast is for a bit more this weekend. Hope it continues southeast to New Mexico.

Hope you get a good soak Hank, and that it keeps going. May want to run and grab some pie while you have the chance! Looks like our chances out here are pretty good starting Monday for at least week or so.
I am soaked. Just ran out to close truck windows,cover the smoker and concrete.
Actually have runoff already it is so dry.
More soon and it's rumbling good.
Rio is on his bed in the bedroom,hidden ,safe.

Road to Pie Town will be a mess by tomorrow, cool.
2 weeks of it? Bring it on.

So it begins again, the monsoons.
It rained off and on all afternoon and through the night last night. Raining this morning lightly still.
56 deg. & 76% humidity now. The heavy stuff coming this afternoon and tomorrow, through the week, more.
I'm guessing .30" in the gauge.

65% containment on the 325k Black fire.
The monsoon rains have stalled it.

Sandbagging for runoff is now a priority in state.
After the SCU fire the OES supplied us with straw wattles. They first set a limit of 4 per parcel. Reasoning was that everyone needed something. Semi truck loads followed in the next few weeks , then we didn't get any measurable rain,,,,,, Your very fortunate to have the rain even if it does destroy a few things.

After the SCU fire the OES supplied us with straw wattles. They first set a limit of 4 per parcel. Reasoning was that everyone needed something. Semi truck loads followed in the next few weeks , then we didn't get any measurable rain,,,,,, Your very fortunate to have the rain even if it does destroy a few things.
They have equipment building berms and logpiles to divert flows to protect towns and watersheds/supplies. Reworking dozerlines.
NM has lots of sand for bags...lol

They have equipment building berms and logpiles to divert flows to protect towns and watersheds/supplies. Reworking dozerlines.
NM has lots of sand for bags...lol
I filled my share! I would get a couple saw horses, cut a road cone down for a funnel stuck between them. Worked great,,,a little creative engineering!

I recorded 1.53" of rain at my house last night. A co-worker recorded nearly double that. Gila NF fire restrictions have been rescinded. Now to wait for green up.

Edit: I forgot my rain gauge resets at midnight. I recorded an additional 0.65" after midnight so 2.18" total

Last edited:
I recorded 1.53" of rain at my house last night. A co-worker recorded nearly double that. Gila NF fire restrictions have been rescinded. Now to wait for green up.

Edit: I forgot my rain gauge resets at midnight. I recorded an additional 0.65" after midnight so 2.18" total
Santa Fe National Forest is still closed. Because of the controlled burn misadventures on the east side of the Forest, I will be surprised to see it open again until July, or later. We are now in the second week of soaking rain, with another solid week predicted.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back