Caribou Gear Tarp

New Mexico: Game&Fish ordered to release Customer info

cedahm

Just got this in an email from NMDGF:

Not sure what to make of it. On the surface I don't like it, and it seems like a violation of privacy (I know Big Fin has had issues along these lines also).

Anyone have more back story on the two individuals that filed the original requests?

"A First Judicial District Court judge has ordered the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish to turn over the names and addresses of all successful big-game applicants for the years 2015 through April 23, 2019 to Los Alamos County resident James Whitehead."

"Additionally, the New Mexico Court of Appeals ordered the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish to turn over the email addresses of individuals who applied for state hunting licenses for the years 2015 through 2016 to former Land Commissioner Aubrey Dunn."

On the one hand, I'm like... this seems like BS... on the other hand Alaska already published all this info on their website... so 🤷‍♂️.

(caveat, email address, that is a major issue for identity theft)

Appears James Whitehead is not confident the big game draw is accurately, or perhaps fairly, conducted.

From article: https://losalamosreporter.com/2019/...-fish-under-inspection-of-public-records-act/

" Whitehead specifically requested the detailed success draw results, names and addresses of all successful applicants, units applied for and units drawn. He also requested the policy and procedure documents that govern the Big Draw as well as the software involved including the source code.

Court records indicate NMDG&F responded the Whitehead indicated that the Department does not give out addresses of license buyers pursuant to the Cox Rule. Whitehead in turn asked “how do we as citizens verify that Game and Fish are conducting the draw fairly?” "

(caveat, email address, that is a major issue for identity theft)
That's my main issue - I don't care if the dude knows I drew a Gila tag 4 years ago, but would prefer he doesn't have my name, email, phone to do with as he wishes.

Appears James Whitehead is not confident the big game draw is accurately, or perhaps fairly, conducted.

From article: https://losalamosreporter.com/2019/...-fish-under-inspection-of-public-records-act/

" Whitehead specifically requested the detailed success draw results, names and addresses of all successful applicants, units applied for and units drawn. He also requested the policy and procedure documents that govern the Big Draw as well as the software involved including the source code.

Court records indicate NMDG&F responded the Whitehead indicated that the Department does not give out addresses of license buyers pursuant to the Cox Rule. Whitehead in turn asked “how do we as citizens verify that Game and Fish are conducting the draw fairly?” "
I just found that article as well - I am fine with someone asking for an independent audit of software - not sure how names, addresses, emails and any other PII attached to an application (outside of "R/NR/Guided") help prove that the draw is fair.

Wow, huge concern about how much info was released. Ripe for abuse in the wrong hands for sure.

One of these guys appears to have sue’d several entities under the IPRA, notably Los Alamos Co. where he walked away with the requested records and $4500 in “damages”. May just be what he does for fun and profit.

I think it’s good there is some accountability but don’t love my personal info going out.

The other part is I don’t think it’s good for public land hunting shows. Hate to say it.

One of these guys appears to have sue’d several entities under the IPRA, notably Los Alamos Co. where he walked away with the requested records and $4500 in “damages”. May just be what he does for fun and profit.

I believe he has sued his employer. Also see LADaily Post article concerning Mr Whitehead and LANS.

It seems as if you could run the draw result numbers and make conclusions about resident and non resident quotas without requiring people's personal information.
Perhaps someone from a game and fish state organization can answer general question about draw software algorithms and whether they are thoroughly SQA'd and/or independently checked for correctness.

I just found that article as well - I am fine with someone asking for an independent audit of software - not sure how names, addresses, emails and any other PII attached to an application (outside of "R/NR/Guided") help prove that the draw is fair.

Having FOIA'd aggregate data for most states I'm kinda like... um good luck bro. I do data analysis for a living and sifting through the high level stuff was a massive pain.

Does some gomer think he's going to drop this into excel and suddenly have all the answers. My gut feeling is this data is useless in his hands and he's going to sell the database.

Who Mr. Whitehead thinks he is

Mr. Whitehead

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back