New Mexico Elk Drop Camps (outfitter)???

Auburnpack

I know it is out of season for this question but me and another NR are looking for an outfitter that provides Drop Camps in New Mexico. I am having trouble finding an outfitter that offers camps in Units 34 and 51 due to being in different areas of the state. We would much rather do a DIY hunt but looking into outfitters because of the increased draw odds. Any recommendations for those units would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,

88man

Im guessing you didn't draw a tag this year. I think for 2022 pre draw you should have no trouble finding an outfitter to contract with on a semi guided type hunt the meets the requirements of the guide draw in unit 51.

Auburnpack

Im guessing you didn't draw a tag this year. I think for 2022 pre draw you should have no trouble finding an outfitter to contract with on a semi guided type hunt the meets the requirements of the guide draw in unit 51.
We didn't draw this year. I can find outfitters in 51 and 34 but I cant find anyone that will does both units.

ILbowhntr

Try searching for outfitters for Carson NF instead of “NM Elk unit 51 outfitters”. I have been looking for someone for 2nd archery this year after drawing a tag. Finding a single outfitter for both units complicates things for sure.

That said, why do you want a single outfitter for both units? are you thinking that you could avoid some costs by using a single outfitter Number for your application? There are some that will provide a basic/minimum package that allow you to use their number and honor the minumum mandatory 2 days of guiding.

I would be interested in hearing what you come up with for this if you find someone. Good luck.

Gila

I don’t know about 51 but don’t see any benefit of having a drop camp for 34. If you are trying to increase your odds of the draw without paying an outfitter, good luck with that one. Outfitters won’t play that game. They won’t give up a guided hunt for a drop camp.

Auburnpack

Honestly, your real problem is going to be drawing the tag & not finding an outfitter. Check out Kiowa.
Thanks! This is what I am looking for. Drawing is the real problem!! I prefer a DIY but will take a drop camp w an outfitter since that improves my draw odds.

blueridge

Both are real problems: drawing a tag (esp 34) and finding one that guides in both. 34 is such a premier unit that it doesn’t make business sense to offer a drop camp vs fully guided, and it’s so far away from Carson NF. Justin Medina (Arrowhead Outfitters) used to offer a 2-day semi-guided in 34, and would transfer you to another outfitter if you drew a 2nd or 3rd choice unit he and his guys didn’t work, but I think he is trying to get away from that.
Good luck!

pointingdogsrule

I used Kiowa a few years ago. Good camp set up and good food. Outfitters would give you ideas on where the elk might be better located. Overall satisfied

brownbear932008

Is a drop camp only even legal in NM now if a tag is drawn in outfitter pool? I thought they went to a mandatory minimum of two days guided hunter/guide must be in the field together at all times the first two days of the hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grepgaston