New Mexico changes

Oak

Expert
From the new regs posted on the website:
Full Fee Up Front
Anyone applying for a pronghorn, bighorn sheep, ibex, javelina or
Barbary sheep draw license, MUST pay the full license and application
fee when applying.

I wonder how this will affect draw odds for the high dollar hunts. Residents have got to be loving this change!

Why did they change only a few species, nmtaxi? Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how they chose which species to require the up-front money for.

I think it's just a compromise. Half the people wanted up front fees to improve odds, and others did not. The casual hunters in this state seem to only apply for deer, elk and antelope. They really don't want to have to save their pennies to apply. The guys that are a little more hardcore and put in for everything don't mind saving the cash. The compromise ended up being that you only have to pay application fees for elk and antelope, but can only draw a Quality/High Demand elk hunt or an antelope hunt every other year. So, if you draw one next year, you can't put in the next.

The compromise ended up being that you only have to pay application fees for elk and antelope, but can only draw a Quality/High Demand elk hunt or an antelope hunt every other year. So, if you draw one next year, you can't put in the next.

I did overlook the fact that oryx is not on the list. But antelope is on the list. As a non-res, I would have liked to see the one year off for drawing a HD deer tag as well, but I'm sure residents are not too keen on that idea.

I like the idea. I haven't drawn a deer tag in 14 years, and have only drawn one elk tag in the last 11 years. And I'm only putting in for standard hunts. If it gives me a better shot of going once every few years, I'm all for it.

Well, I guess that means I'll get a few extra Cabelas Points by putting a 3K sheep tag on my card ;-)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back