Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New Mexico Barbary Sheep

RyeGuy74

Does anyone know how long it takes for someone to get a NM Barbary sheep tag for public land?

Idk but Texas you can get them OTC and that’s one state away. I believe NM also has otc and draw tags. Anyone please correct me if I’m wrong. Maybe I can get @SCliving Outdoors to chime in. He’s pretty in the know on hunting New Mexico.

Yup all the "quality" areas are draw only. But there is a mountain range where the barbary sheep have started to compete with some desert bighorn sheep. So that area only is OTC.

Texas has some diy type hunts on private ranches but you have to pay a tresspass fee. They also have some draw hunts on public but it’s a pretty tough draw. NM has draw hunts and otc. Just depends on the unit. The units that are otc are good for 365 days. It’s a year round season. Pretty cool deal if you’re a local. The otc tag can be pretty tough but doable if you really get after it.

Does anyone know how long it takes for someone to get a NM Barbary sheep tag for public land?

NM is a random draw with no point system, so you could get one any year. Odds for self-guided nonresidents are usually in the ballpark of 10% or less.

That is for the handful of units that you have to draw. The peripheral areas with fewer sheep are otc.

Texas has some diy type hunts on private ranches but you have to pay a tresspass fee. They also have some draw hunts on public but it’s a pretty tough draw. NM has draw hunts and otc. Just depends on the unit. The units that are otc are good for 365 days. It’s a year round season. Pretty cool deal if you’re a local. The otc tag can be pretty tough but doable if you really get after it.
Is the 365 season for OTC good for nonresidents or just residents?

Yes resident and non resident OTC. And I believe I gave some bad info earlier. It's not just OTC in the areas with desert bighorns, iit's OTC for the majority of the state except the draw units. The proclamation has all the units in it and describes the OTC area in unit 34 (desert bighorn area).

I had a draw tag a few years ago and I believe I had applied for 6 years before drawing. I'd guess the odds have gotten worse since then, but as has been pointed out NM doesn't have a points system so you may draw year in one or .....................

Am I correct that the OTC tag is good for the entire year? That's a nice aspect if you're looking for some additional opportunity to fill out the year.

Am I correct that the OTC tag is good for the entire year? That's a nice aspect if you're looking for some additional opportunity to fill out the year.

That’s how it was a few years ago when I had a non-res OTC tag.

Yes the OTC tag is good for the entire year.
I missed all of hunting season in MT this year, and went down to NM in the beginning of February for an OTC Aoudad hunt. It was my first time hunting out of state and it was a pretty cool experience.

Does anybody know the success rates for the draw hunts? I went on a 4th choice deer hunt in 29 last year and found a band of sheep on the second day. Just wondering if it was a fluke or are they pretty common

Pyro,

Did you have to go guided for NM Aoudad? I’m working a lot in TX right now and most everything is private here and would need to be guided. Being from MT, I’m looking to solo hunt...

Yup all the "quality" areas are draw only. But there is a mountain range where the barbary sheep have started to compete with some desert bighorn sheep. So that area only is OTC.
I have a OTC tag so now I am looking for a good area. I'm 71 years old so it has to be reasonably easy. Like of like a hunt/kill of convenience.

We have been scouting and looking for one. Me and my hunting partner are challenged when it comes to mobility but were looking and hoping.

Idk but Texas you can get them OTC and that’s one state away. I believe NM also has otc and draw tags. Anyone please correct me if I’m wrong. Maybe I can get @SCliving Outdoors to chime in. He’s pretty in the know on hunting New Mexico.
NM OTC tags are only good for a specific area which basically is anything west of West Side road from HWY244 to Timberon. The whole western range of the Sacremento mountains.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back