Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New Mexico Antelope

Trigger50

I've done 9 WY antelope hunts. Love it. Thinking about uping the stakes for a trophy goat, so I've just started doing alittle research into New Mexico. The $65 / yr required license for applying, stinks. Help my out guys, how many yrs would I have to apply to get a rifle tag in an area w trophy goats ? I'm willing to wait a couple yrs, but am I wasting my time & $$$ ? Should I start looking elsewhere. Is the $280 tag gonna end up costing me $1000 w yrs of app fees ? Appreciate you guys saving me hrs of research.

Thanks Randy & Oak. I might start building pts for a trophy unit in WY. I usually hunt my friends ranch in area 9 in WY. Easy tag draw, great hunt, but marginal bucks.

Yeah New Mexico is pretty pitiful with the odds for NR. A trophy unit will be much less than 1% chance.
Also note that for much of New Mexico Rifle you are assigned a private ranch by the Wildlife department.

Get the landowner tag list and start calling or you can contact an outfitter that has landowner tags. You can hunt every year in NM. Landowners sell tag vouchers directly anywhere from $500-$2,000. You can get some pretty good deals as the season gets closer and they still have a voucher. Many outfitters have hunts in the $1,500-$2,500 range on ranches where pronghorn in the upper 70's to 81 or 82 can be harvested.

Ditto what Eli said! There are a lot of units you can draw in Wyoming with 0-3 PPs and kill mid 70" to 80" one if you can spend a week or better looking. I hunt a unit like that and have killed goats all three times I've drawn that were 14-14/1/2" and the one this year was right at 80" green, but will be short of that after the 60 day drying period. None of the hunts lasted more than four days, although this year I did several days of considerable scouting in September, found the one I wanted, and then it took until the 4th morning of the season to find him a third time and squeeze the trigger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back