PEAX Equipment

New Mexico 16B - Foot Friendly?

$750 sounds like too high of a price to me. If it was a 4 hour horse ride with having to chainsaw through deadfall I think it would be a fair price. If it was a 1 hour horse ride without significant deadfall, that would be different.

I used Tom and Paula for a drop camp 5-6 years ago in 16B. As mentioned here previously they are very good at what they do and after being in that country I wouldn't hesitate to pay their price. Unless you are extremely luck you most likely won't be hunting this unit too often, and I would want someone reliable.

We drew 1st rifle for 16B/22 and from everything I've read, it sounds like having horses is a big advantage. We don't. Having never hunted the Gila, I'm wondering if a certain region(s) of 16B/22 would be a bit more foot-only friendly? I'm planning to make at least one scouting trip this summer, and if I could narrow it down to a certain region, that would be a huge help in getting started.

Not asking for anyone's honey hole, nor am I looking for an easy way out. Just trying to narrow the funnel a little to save some time on my scouting trip.

Appreciate anyone's help.
Big Bore, I drew a 16b second archery elk tag this year and just curious on how your hunt ended up. Not asking for specifics, just an overview of it and if you were successful. Hope you were able to fill your tag! Appreciate it!

I haven't hunted 16b specifically but I've been down in that neck of the woods several times and I remember looking at it and thinking to mself - there is no way I would personally hunt it without pack stock to get game out... I didn't get the feeling that I could get game out fast enough if it was hot to avoid spoiling...
There is a gal who runs an outfit that will take you in on horseback. I don’t have her info handy but the price is right and she keeps the clients. Maybe someone could chime in here. Shucks..missed those posts....yup they are the ones.

Hi. I did not draw this year, was hoping to draw in 16B myself. New around here, but I spent the last year trouncing around a good portion of northern 16B getting to know the unit. Was hoping to be down there this year. $750 seems very reasonable for a pack out service. I'd pay that in a heartbeat, and it's irresponsible to not have a pack out service in place prior to shooting an elk in that unit. The elk I scouted last year during peak rut were very deep and 2 miles off the nearest trail. Not foot friendly at all. The temps were over 90 during the day in late Sept, and I almost had to leave my pack behind in the field as I depleted my water supply in a day and a half. Good luck out there.

Hi. I did not draw this year, was hoping to draw in 16B myself. New around here, but I spent the last year trouncing around a good portion of northern 16B getting to know the unit. Was hoping to be down there this year. $750 seems very reasonable for a pack out service. I'd pay that in a heartbeat, and it's irresponsible to not have a pack out service in place prior to shooting an elk in that unit. The elk I scouted last year during peak rut were very deep and 2 miles off the nearest trail. Not foot friendly at all. The temps were over 90 during the day in late Sept, and I almost had to leave my pack behind in the field as I depleted my water supply in a day and a half. Good luck out there.
I plan on getting a pack out service. Tough to draw these tags to begin with so I want to do it right. Thanks for the notes.

Big Bore, I drew a 16b second archery elk tag this year and just curious on how your hunt ended up. Not asking for specifics, just an overview of it and if you were successful. Hope you were able to fill your tag! Appreciate it!
We did not have luck. Extremely dry conditions last year and essentially zero water to be found. It was a great trip, beautiful country, and it certainly looked promising but after hunting our tails off, we came up empty handed. And I’d go back in a heartbeat.

There‘s more to this of course, but too long to type. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk on the phone about it.

Good luck to you!

Idk about this unit, but my first hunt was in the Sargent. We were on foot and would leave waaaaay before anyone else. We would get into elk just before visible light and all of a sudden someone on a horse would go flying by and shoot one. We even found deboned carcasses that we assume was someone on a horse grabbing two bulls, since the head of a big 6x6 was still attached. Basically what I'm trying to say is, if you can use a horse, I definitely would.

Send me a PM.

Get a hold of utrail they can pack u in the unit. They have been doing it for 30+ years. Also gila and apache has drop camps in there also now.

Not sure about your budget but, $2500 for drop camp and meat pack out in a unit like 16B might be worth a hard look. 16B is a super hard draw in the heart of some of the best elk hunting in the nation. I've hunted it once, we horse packed in 6 miles, were into elk everyday and both my partner and both took nice 6X6's. We saw several 360+ bulls. If you can afford it I would defiantly look into a drop camp hunt. Best of luck on your hunt!!!

Not sure about your budget but, $2500 for drop camp and meat pack out in a unit like 16B might be worth a hard look. 16B is a super hard draw in the heart of some of the best elk hunting in the nation. I've hunted it once, we horse packed in 6 miles, were into elk everyday and both my partner and both took nice 6X6's. We saw several 360+ bulls. If you can afford it I would defiantly look into a drop camp hunt. Best of luck on your hunt!!!
Thanks for the info Big John! Pretty positive we'll be getting a horse pack out at the very least. I have reached out to a few outfitters about that as well as a drop camp. Congrats on a successful hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back