New Mexico 16B - Foot Friendly?

Big Bore

We drew 1st rifle for 16B/22 and from everything I've read, it sounds like having horses is a big advantage. We don't. Having never hunted the Gila, I'm wondering if a certain region(s) of 16B/22 would be a bit more foot-only friendly? I'm planning to make at least one scouting trip this summer, and if I could narrow it down to a certain region, that would be a huge help in getting started.

Not asking for anyone's honey hole, nor am I looking for an easy way out. Just trying to narrow the funnel a little to save some time on my scouting trip.

Appreciate anyone's help.

I imagine a lot of that would depend on how far you're willing to hike, if you're camping off your back, and how far you're willing to pack an elk out?

I'm in good shape for Texas and tenacious as hell. Getting drawn first rifle in the Gila as a non-resident is pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I'm ready to hunt my rear off (literally).

I put in for that unit as 1st choice too. I didn't draw it, ( drew my 3rd choice) but have spent a lot of time discussing it with my hunting partner who has hunted the 16's many times. Yes you can walk in but keep in mind the temps in early Oct are usually still pretty warm. If you elect to go in deep on foot, chances of meat spoilage increase dramatically. There are not many gas stations close by for ice either.

I put in for that unit as 1st choice too. I didn't draw it, ( drew my 3rd choice) but have spent a lot of time discussing it with my hunting partner who has hunted the 16's many times. Yes you can walk in but keep in mind the temps in early Oct are usually still pretty warm. If you elect to go in deep on foot, chances of meat spoilage increase dramatically. There are not many gas stations close by for ice either.
Good insight, thank you! So loading up the high performance coolers with dry ice ahead of time might be a good idea.

It is NOT foot friendly at all.
The trails get used & everyone goes way in. It gets hot. A lot of wasted meat gets involved ,usually ,even with horses,..IMHO.
There are a couple access roads thru the sides of unit & no one hunts off of or camps near them....lol
They hike right past a lot of elk.

I haven't hunted 16b specifically but I've been down in that neck of the woods several times and I remember looking at it and thinking to mself - there is no way I would personally hunt it without pack stock to get game out... I didn't get the feeling that I could get game out fast enough if it was hot to avoid spoiling...

Great tag, not foot friendly. I would try and find someone to pack you in and out. You will be way more comfortable and enjoy the opportunity.

We drew 1st rifle for 16B/22 and from everything I've read, it sounds like having horses is a big advantage. We don't. Having never hunted the Gila, I'm wondering if a certain region(s) of 16B/22 would be a bit more foot-only friendly? I'm planning to make at least one scouting trip this summer, and if I could narrow it down to a certain region, that would be a huge help in getting started.

Not asking for anyone's honey hole, nor am I looking for an easy way out. Just trying to narrow the funnel a little to save some time on my scouting trip.

Appreciate anyone's help.

Big Bore,
I drew 16b/22 late archery. Planning on doing it on foot (for now.) Also hoping to do one scouting trip this summer. I’m also from Texas, east of Dallas. I’m new to a username, but have lurked the forum for a while. Maybe we could help each other out some.

Last edited:
I drew this unit this year for the 3rd rifle hunt. I have hunted this unit and 16a for deer once. Depending on what you consider foot friendly depends on the answer. Some of it is open with big meadows but most of it is very steep and thick. Lots of down timber you will have to navigate. Did see some nice elk in there while deer hunting. Will try and scout it as much as I can this summer.

Congratulations on a good tag. You can have a successful hunt in 16b without horses as long as you are prepared. A scouting trip this summer is an excellent plan. The scouting trip will be fun and give you a chance to plan your hunt. You have already been given some good advice. The biggest challenge would be packing meat out. It is one thing to pack a spike camp for a 3 hour hike. Packing an elk out on your back presents a whole different challenge. Even if you bone out a bull you could be looking at about 300 lbs between meat, cape and antlers. If you haven’t packed out an elk before then you really should research how you are going to do it or you will risk spoiled meat. The Gila isn’t as cold as other elk country in October so my goal would be to have the ability to have meat somewhere I could control the temperature within 24 hours. In September I’m even more nervous about getting the meat out. I have killed a couple elk in early September and it took more than 48 hours to get the meat in coolers or meat locker. The meat was fine on both bulls but if the weather is warm, meat can easily spoil in a couple days in the mountains, even if you do everything correctly.
You could kill a bull within 1/2 mile of a road in the 16b but if you have the ability to hunt further from roads it will increase your options on where you can hunt. I drew a late archery hunt in NM and I’m going to have phone numbers I can call to assist getting meat out. You can hire someone with horse to pack out your elk. I’m only 37 years old, ran a marathon a few months ago, live at 4000 feet elevation and have packed out more than 10 elk that were more than a mile from a road. Packing elk meat out of the mountains is no easy task. I’ve spent some time in 16b and could give you some additional details. Send me a PM and I could give you more details.

I hunted 16B in 2010, second rifle.

It is rough country. Spoke to biologist and game warden during scouting period, they all asked if I had horses which I did not.

I did see elk but not in the numbers I hoped. Should have hunted further north in the unit.

Hey Big Bore, you had the same idea I had, but you beat me to it. I’m hunting with Big Bore and both are hunting with handguns.... I’m doing research for someone to pack us in and out.... sounds like it might be a good idea.

Hey Big Bore, you had the same idea I had, but you beat me to it. I’m hunting with Big Bore and both are hunting with handguns.... I’m doing research for someone to pack us in and out.... sounds like it might be a good idea.

I talked to Paula of San Francisco outfitters. She was helpful and nice. Said $1750 per hunter for drop camp. $750 for meat pack out. The meat pack out sounded expensive, but they probably get to name their price. It will be worth it either way I believe.

I talked to Paula of San Francisco outfitters. She was helpful and nice. Said $1750 per hunter for drop camp. $750 for meat pack out. The meat pack out sounded expensive, but they probably get to name their price. It will be worth it either way I believe.

$750 is more than most guys in NM charge. I've honestly never heard of anyone paying north of five hunde

I'd shop around. Its a ways out, so that gives you time to work on that portion.

SFRO are probably the most experienced outfitters for 16B and I agree with hank4elk, you get what you pay for. I don't think there is many options for 16B, I know some outfitter who work Eastern AZ and Western NM that dont mess with 16B because of the need for horses to pack in clients. SFRO would be the company that I would call for a drop camp/ packout but I wasn't lucky enough for that this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back