New Idaho Game Farm!

Ithaca 37

This just arrived today, hot off the press! What do you think should be done?

Group makes its push for game preserve
By KRIS BOYLE

Representatives of a local corporation went before the Bonneville County
Planning and Zoning Commission on Wednesday night to ask it to approve a
private hunting preserve.
Idaho Wildlife Expeditions, Ltd., requested a special-use permit to operate
the preserve and permission to construct a fence around the property, eight
miles southeast of Bone.
A decision on the request had not been made by press time.

The group wants to turn more than 1,500 acres of its land in Bingham and
Bonneville counties into an elk-and-bison game preserve.

A similar hearing in Bingham County is set for April 23.

Steve McGrath, president of the group, told the commission the company would
construct an 8-foot fence of steel pipe and wire around about 500 acres in
Bonneville County. Elk would be kept on the property from late summer until
early winter, while the bison would be brought in only on request.
McGrath said the group has worked closely with the state Department of
Agriculture and the Idaho Department of Fish and Game.

A handful of landowners voiced opposition to the preserve, citing concerns
about the safety of cattle and ranchers on adjacent property, the risk of
introducing disease into surrounding herds and the increase of hunters in the
area.

Ted Thompson has cattle herds on property to the south and east of the
proposed preserve. He told the commission there often are people on his
property managing the herds.
"We feel the safety of the people may be put at risk by such a hunting
operation," he said.

McGrath told the commission that all guests would be accompanied by a guide
and steps would be taken to make sure hunters act responsibly.

"No guest will handle a firearm until it can be determined he can do it
safely," he said.
McGrath said the group is trying to do everything required to open up the
preserve.
"We feel like this is a legitimate industry. This kind of activity goes on in
other states," he said.

My first impression was that these guys must not be too bright to try and enter the game-farm market amidst all the current turmoil and contoversy surrounding it.

Then I thought that there must be a significant enough demand for these canned shoots to justify new business entries. A very sad comentary on the American "Sportsman".

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-03-2003 14:41: Message edited by: tmsander ]</font>

That name "Steve McGrath" seems to ring a bell. Have I heard that before somewhere in these discussions?
confused.gif

Name sounds familiar to me too, but I don't know from where.

I see these hunts advertised all the time up here, but I don't think they amount to much of a business.

Go find a real elk.

There is a market for canned hunts. You folks don't realize how lucky you are to live in states with huntable elk/big game. As from a marketing standpoint, canned hunts offer quite the deal for people from other states.....No waiting for months/years for a tag, no hoping for a draw, no pages and pages of regs to worry about, easy to buy, easy come, shoot, go home......There are a ton of advantages for someone to do a canned hunt. Basically they aren't interested in all the "hunting" traditions, they just want instant gratification.

Lost, I guess I don't see how there are any advantages to a canned hunt. Sure, there is the guaranteed meat, but you could buy meat in a grocery store, or directly from a rancher for substantially less money. And you don't get anything close to the experience of a real elk hunt. I bet a guy could go on an outfitted hunt, a real hunt with horses, mules, mountains, and tents, every year that he wanted to, for around $3000. Elk tags for wilderness or roadless areas aren't that hard to come by, especially when you're going with an outfitter. So really, there is no excuse for anybody to go on a canned hunt, other than laziness and a lack of morals.

I have tried searching for the cost of a canned Elk hunt, and so far, no luck.
frown.gif

But I did come across the Buckmasters Code of Ethics for canned hunts. I thought it was amusing that there are ethics in canned hunts.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Code of Ethics

Here is pricing for Whitetail.

$ 2500 Base Price For A Mature Deer Scoring 125" B&C and Up
$ 100/ per B&C Gross Inch Thereafter

Example of Pricing( Gross Score):

130 B&C $3000
135 B&C $3500
140 B&C $4000
145 B&C $4500
150 B&C $5000
155 B&C $5500
160 B&C $6000
165 B&C $6500
170 B&C $7000

Just found the price for Elk...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>All of our hunts are priced at $4995.00 (U.S. dollars). No Tags and
License required due to the fact that we are a private ranch.This allows a hunter to take one bull elk on a hunt.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
And to get you excited about the hunt...
manage3.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-04-2003 21:01: Message edited by: Elkgunner ]</font>

Here are some prices from a game farm that is advertised in the back of American Hunter, which by the way, I will not be renewing my membership to the NRA because of the way they promote game farm hunts.

1st Season: Pick of the Ranch Hunt. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ Call For Prices
September 1-12

2nd Season: World Class Hunt. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $7,900.00
September 13th - 30th (Ave. Score 330) - Any Bull on the Ranch

3rd Season: Trophy Class Hunt . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $4,900.00
October & November (Ave. Score 320) - Any Bull on the Ranch

Monster Mule Deer Hunt (fair chase). . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. $4,900.00
September - November (Additional trophy fees apply on bucks 180 BC or larger - (180-199 add $2,500, 200 & above add $5,000)

Conservation Bull Elk (Must accompany one of the above hunters). . . . . . . . . $2,900.00

Cow Elk or Spike Hunts (1 day hun over night stays, add $500.00) . . . . . . . . . $1,500.00

Mammoth Bison Bulls (2000-2500 lbs) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $3,900.00

Fallow Deer-Trophy Bucks .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1,000.00

I wouldn't believe for a second people doing a canned hunt for the meat, unless the animals are going for real cheap, it is for the ability for some to have a big head hanging on their walls with out haveing to do what it takes to get a wild one. Who will know except for the individual that did the shooting, unless they tell every one...
biggrin.gif

WH==You need to think as from the point of someone else from somewhere else.
If you're sitting at your place and get a wild idea to go kill something.
searchengine to a game farm and bang, you're on your way, tomorrow you have paid your money, shoot your critter and on your way home. Fast, easy, no problems....All done.
You and I don't have that thinking. We don't have that imagine of hunting. The market of canned hunts is for folks that want one but do not want any hassle whatsoever. To us, the hassles is part of hunting.

I could do alot more things with that kinda money.

Do you think they get the head ount done with or without the ear tag?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

HEy Washington Hunter.... I don't remember ever seeing pictures of you and Elk... I know there was a few threads with them.. But could you point me in the right direction again !!!! THANX !!

Sorry Moose, I've only killed three elk and I didn't get a picture of any of them. Actually I do have a picture of the cow I killed, she's in the back of my brother's Bronco, but she was kind of wrapped up in a sheet to keep the flies off so you can't see much. I do have a pic of me with an elk my brother killed if you'd like to see it. I'll just have to get this new scanner working and I'll email it to you. I'd post it on here but for some reason it didn't work when I tried posting that antelpe picture a couple of months ago. Now I'm curious, why were you wanting to see a pic of me and an elk?

Back