New Hand Cannon

Beautiful gun !! Looks like someone refinished the grips, and after applying the varnish (??), applied some grit (sand, etc) to aid in gripping the gun. Probably need new grips, or wear gloves when shooting it. Front sight appears to be an addition also. I think they came with a ramp sight with red insert.

Personally I have not found the .44 mag ro be unpleasant to shoot. Mostly because here in the Hoosier state you could hunt with a pistol chambered in rifle calibers for decades. I bought a T/C Encore in .308 Win. Over the years it has developed a crack in the rear of the grip from recoil.
@mtmuley will appreciate this! A friend of mine bought a 7mm Rem Mag rifle barrel for his and had it cut down to pistol length of 15 inches. He fired it off his outdoor bench rest which he had outdoor carpeting covering the top. When he fired it the pistol flew up in the air in a twisting motion. My friend kept impressive
control over it and didn't drop it. He stood up and shook his hands and said a few explicit words. Then we noticed that the outdoor carpet on his bench was on fire! After putting that out he asked if I wanted to give her a go...I of course declined and not respectively!

Anyone got holster recommendations? I like the idea of the Kenai Gunfighter, but it is quite pricey for someone who usually isn't in bear country.

Anyone got holster recommendations? I like the idea of the Kenai Gunfighter, but it is quite pricey for someone who usually isn't in bear country.
Azula holsters are great quality and very affordable. I carry the same model you have in one of their pancake holsters.

With my older packs, the ones with the full-sized webbing on the waistbelt, I always carried my revolver crossdraw on the waistbelt. Unfortunately, I haven’t found a good way to attach a bigger revolver to my newer molle waistbelt.

A cheaper holster that has worked for me is the Bianchi Accumold. The older one I have works both strongside and crossdraw. The new ones appear to be set up for strongside carry only. I carry a 4” S&W 500 in a Galco DAO.

As a fix for the molle waistbelt, I bought a Guides Choice Chest Holster for a 5” 460. I haven’t been able to set it up so there is no interference between it and my binocular pouch. I know there are holsters that attach to the bottom of some bino pouches but I think those would only be comfortable if carrying a lighter handgun.

The grip has been modified for speedloader use.

The Denali holster looks like a nylon version of the leather Guides Choice. I have the Guides Choice and it is very comfortable - just my issue with the bino pouch. I think the Denali holster would be comfortable, too.

Finally took her out to the range. Shot some various reloads given to me by the previous owner. If his scribbled notes are correct he pushed past maximum loads pretty boldly. Hand is still tingling 45 minutes afterwards. Even on paper the power difference between 9mm and 44 mag is evident.

PXL_20221004_211646499.jpg

Finally took her out to the range. Shot some various reloads given to me by the previous owner. If his scribbled notes are correct he pushed past maximum loads pretty boldly. Hand is still tingling 45 minutes afterwards. Even on paper the power difference between 9mm and 44 mag is evident.

View attachment 242857
Yardage?

The .44 Magnum can be loaded up of down the power scale and is a very accurate cartridge. It is absolutely capable of sub 1" groups at 25 yards provided that the shooter is.

Choosing ammo appropriate for the chore is essential as is lots of practice. I am in my 50s and have own and been shooting .44s since my teens.

There is no need to shoot maxed out loads all the time, and in fact I prefer not to. Maybe 5% of the time is a max power, elk stomper required. The rest of the time, mid range loads and target loads will suffice and are much easier on both the shooter and the gun.

22cRfmI.jpg

Leather by Milt Sparks

Hw8TSrBl.jpg

These are 50 yard 300 grain heavy (elk/moose) type loads.

9QcSfoVl.jpg

egZv2ELl.jpg

And mellower .44 Special 240 grain Hard Cast SWCs at 900 FPS, which can do most things a guy needs to accomplish with a big bore. Much easier on your hands, and makes shooting precisely easier as well.

YPhowWcl.jpg

VTkYvvnl.jpg

v8rwpcil.jpg

Congrats on the new N Frame!

S&W .44s are fantastic and are truly heirloom quality. They can be shot and shot and passed down to the next generation, provided they are properly cared for.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back