New guy, looking for scope recommendation

mummel

Hi folks,

I'm a bow guy and I'm looking to purchase my first hunting rifle (never been rifle hunting, only fired a few guns as a kid years back). I'll be using it primarily for deer hunting in the northeast (dense woods, thick brush, vast majority of shots probably around ~100 yards, maybe field shots up to 300 yards albeit this is would very rare/opportunistic).

I'm looking for a simplistic, minimalistic, lightweight, lower noise, low recoil rifle. I'm leaning towards the .243 WIN because of its low recoil which is probably whats most important for me.

I was just curious to get some opinions on scopes.

I read about fixed power scopes and I really like the idea because of their low weight (and low light capabilities). However, they dont seem popular at all with not many companies manufacturing them. How come? What am I missing?

So that then puts me into the variable power scopes. Problem is there are a TON of scopes on the market. Hundreds. I have no idea where to begin. Also, these variable power scopes can weigh quite a bit (20-30oz).

I dont believe I need anything over the top (I mean, how much magnification do I really need at 100 yards). My original thought was that a high quality 4X fixed power scope would work but there arent any real options for this (also, I dont know anyone with a rifle, so I have no idea what 4X looks like at 100 yards vs 20 yards, I'm just going off internet research).

So right now Im just looking for the best bang for your buck scope for targeting deer around ~100 yards. Budget is open ended. I could go up to ~$800 if the value was there (i.e. if a $200 scope gave me 200 units of satisfaction, but the $800 scope gave me 1600 units of satisfaction, I would pay up).

But again, I'll probably use this rifle ~4 times per year during season so I dont want to overspend or go crazy. Simple yet deadly is what I'm going for.

What do you think? Thanks folks.

Welcome! Leupold vx3i 2.5 x 8. Light weight & plenty of magnification for out to 350 yards. That would be my choice.

I see they have a fixed power 6X version on their website for ~$400. Weighs ~14oz. Thats not too bad.

Would this blow away the variable power scopes in the same price range?

Would 6X be too much magnification for 100 yards?

In your shoes, I think the .243 Win is a wise choice in caliber. It doesn't take too much to knock a whitetail over. If you're looking at a variable power scope, I'd lean towards a 2-7x or a 2-8x depending on the manufacturer. Also, many folks, myself included, have harvested a lot of deer with 3-9x scopes. 4x are very nice, but finding one can be challenging off the shelf as the vast makjoity of shooters/hunters have jumped to the variable scope market for one reason or another. Personally I think most hunters are over scoped and over gunned in the Northeast, you don't need a big scope on a .300 ThunderBanger Express to get the job done on a critter that more than likely weighs less than the hunter does! A solid, lower powered, but higher quality scope is plenty for any situation you'll find in the northeast. Whether you're hunting big woods bucks at shake hands distance in Maine or taking a 300 yard poke along a power line somewhere in Mew York, it'll get the job done. I used to shoot lower end scopes (My 1st big game scope was a Tasco silver antler that eventually failed me one cold November morning), but would recommend spending a bit more for a decent scope. Without a scope, you're dead in the water with a modern, iron-less bolt action rifle.

If you're on a budget, I'd look at the Leupold Freedom line, or the Vortex Diamondback line. I know plenty of shooters have great luck with Nikons, Bushnell's and others, but I've either had bad experiences with them or just never used them so can't comment on their quality.

Also, Welcome!

Welcome! Leupold vx3i 2.5 x 8. Light weight & plenty of magnification for out to 350 yards. That would be my choice.

Interesting thanks. I checked the specs of the vx3i. Weighs 11.5oz which is great. Costs ~$350 on Amazon, not bad.

Any idea how this would compare to 6X in terms of image quality (assuming 6X can even work at 50-100 yards).

I see they have a fixed power 6X version on their website for ~$400. Weighs ~14oz. Thats not too bad.

Would this blow away the variable power scopes in the same price range?

Would 6X be too much magnification for 100 yards?

The 2.5 x 8 is listed as 11.4 ounces. I'd rather have the ability to dial down low to the 2.5 than have to stick with a fixed 6, personally.

In your shoes, I think the .243 Win is a wise choice in caliber. It doesn't take too much to knock a whitetail over. If you're looking at a variable power scope, I'd lean towards a 2-7x or a 2-8x depending on the manufacturer. Also, many folks, myself included, have harvested a lot of deer with 3-9x scopes. 4x are very nice, but finding one can be challenging off the shelf as the vast makjoity of shooters/hunters have jumped to the variable scope market for one reason or another. Personally I think most hunters are over scoped and over gunned in the Northeast, you don't need a big scope on a .300 ThunderBanger Express to get the job done on a critter that more than likely weighs less than the hunter does! A solid, lower powered, but higher quality scope is plenty for any situation you'll find in the northeast. Whether you're hunting big woods bucks at shake hands distance in Maine or taking a 300 yard poke along a power line somewhere in Mew York, it'll get the job done. I used to shoot lower end scopes (My 1st big game scope was a Tasco silver antler that eventually failed me one cold November morning), but would recommend spending a bit more for a decent scope. Without a scope, you're dead in the water with a modern, iron-less bolt action rifle.

If you're on a budget, I'd look at the Leupold Freedom line, or the Vortex Diamondback line. I know plenty of shooters have great luck with Nikons, Bushnell's and others, but I've either had bad experiences with them or just never used them so can't comment on their quality.

Also, Welcome!

Hey thanks. Great info. I appreciate the feedback.

I'm really happy to hear that you concur about my choice of going .243 WIN. I looked up a recoil table, compared a range of different rifles etc, and the .243 seems to be the sweet spot.

Would you take a fixed power scope like the FX-3 6x42mm over the VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm or Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 ?

Would you take a fixed power scope like the FX-3 6x42mm over the VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm or Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 ?

That's an easy answer, and when you see the pricing Schmalts here on Hunt Talk can get your on Leupold optics, it is even an easier answer to come to. Send him a PM or go to Predator Optics and use the Hunt Talk promo code.

I'm really happy to hear that you concur about my choice of going .243 WIN. I looked up a recoil table, compared a range of different rifles etc, and the .243 seems to be the sweet spot.

I'd be all over the VX-3i 2.5-8x36. I currently have a 3.5-10x40 on my M70 7mm-08 that's going to end up on my next rifle and the M70 will get a 2.5-8

I agree with Ben, I would rather have the ability to adjust a little depending on conditions. If, for example, you have a bedded/still buck and you want some magnification because you have a good shooting lane then that could be handy. If you want a wider field of view, then you can always dial it back down.

Leupold glass is good, and the VX-3i recommendation is spot on. I think Schmalts on here gets some really great deals on Leupold.

Leupold is great, if you do not mind using their "great" warranty. Get yourself a 6.5 Creed in whatever configuration that you like, put a 6x, or 10x fixed SWFA Super Sniper scope on it and go kill shit. Nuff said. Leupold is over-rated and over-priced. Do the research and you will agree. Everything is a trade-off. If you have a light scope, then you paid for it with light components. I have never had an issue, carrying heavier rifles, with heavier (relatively speaking) scopes. Your money.

The magnification question to me seems answered. Anything between 2-10X should be fine, and maybe 6X for fixed (to be confirmed).

But what about the objective lens diameter.

Are there real benefits of shooting at say 6X magnification at 30mm vs 50mm? Should you always try push for a larger objective lens diameter (albeit this adds a lot of weight), or is it not worth the added cost/weight?

Ben’s recommendation is a good one.
I concur. The Leupold vx3i line of scopes are really good for the price and pretty tough to beat for quality and dependability. 2.5x8 is a good power range for your application and can scale to longer ranges if you are ever inclined to stretch it out in the future. I am not opposed to a 4x fixed power but a variable is much more versatile. Low power for jump shooting and higher if on stand, best of both worlds. As Big Fin states, once you get the price from Schmalts its pretty much a no brainer.

The magnification question to me seems answered. Anything between 2-10X should be fine, and maybe 6X for fixed (to be confirmed).

But what about the objective lens diameter.

Are there real benefits of shooting at say 6X magnification at 30mm vs 50mm? Should you always try push for a larger objective lens diameter (albeit this adds a lot of weight), or is it not worth the added cost/weight?

The lense size divided by magnification gives you the exit pupil size. The maximum size your eye can dilate to is 7mm. Anything over this is completely wasted. In all reality, anything over 5-6 is not really doing you much good. Depending on your age and eyes, the ability of the eye to dilate diminishes.

I concur with VX-3i recommendations, .243 selection and scmalts connection (his prices are always lower than best online price). I will add one thing, you may not want to prioritize “light” as a goal for your rifle. Many find a little weight to a rifle helps stabilize shots and it cuts recoil - I know .243 is very low recoil but since you mentioned recoil as your number one criteria I thought I would add. With both in mind I suggest a 8.5 pound rifle (incl. scope) over a 7 pounder.

The lense size divided by magnification gives you the exit pupil size. The maximum size your eye can dilate to is 7mm. Anything over this is completely wasted. In all reality, anything over 5-6 is not really doing you much good. Depending on your age and eyes, the ability of the eye to dilate diminishes.

I didn’t know this. Interesting.

So this means if you’re shooting at 6X average and I use the upper limit of your range, anything larger than a 36mm lens isn’t worth it. Good to know thanks!

I concur with VX-3i recommendations, .243 selection and scmalts connection (his prices are always lower than best online price). I will add one thing, you may not want to prioritize “light” as a goal for your rifle. Many find a little weight to a rifle helps stabilize shots and it cuts recoil - I know .243 is very low recoil but since you mentioned recoil as your number one criteria I thought I would add. With both in mind I suggest a 8.5 pound rifle (incl. scope) over a 7 pounder.

Do you have any recommendations for a .243 rifle?

As a long time WI whitetail hunter, I would say .243 is a great choice and so is a Leupold variable power scope. A 36mn objective would suit you just fine. I wouldn’t go less. I’ve had a leupold 3-9x 40mm for 20 years and it has worked great.

Don’t go with a fixed power scope. If you’ve got a deer moving by you quick at 25 yards you’ll be glad you’re on 2 or 3x and not 4 or 6x.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back