New guy from Ohio

dcopas78

Hello all,

I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself, since I will probably being asking a few questions from time to time. My name is Derek and I am from southern Ohio, in the middle of big whitetail country. My dad and I have hunted quite a few times in Canada for bear and he went caribou hunting a few years back. He is a taxidermist and has been for about 45 years. Anyways, back in September, we finally made it out west to hunt pronghorn in Wyoming. I'm in love with the country, and can't fathom the amount of public land available to you all. Here in Ohio, since several big whitetail have been killed in my area (I am from Adams county) it is virtually impossible to find land that is not leased, and there is very little public land. I can't wait to get back out to the western states for my next hunt! We both wish we would have came out there several years ago. My dad and I are already planning a elk trip to Idaho for 2015, and are starting to build points for Wyoming elk. I would love to do Colorado archery, but my father has problems with a compound anymore due to carpal tunnel. He uses a crossbow around here. Anyways, I don't want to ramble on too long for my introduction. I am going to post some pictures of mine and my fathers trophy room for you all to look at. If anyone ever has plans to come to Ohio for whitetail, I will try to help you out as much as I can, but it is very hard to find land around here to hunt unless you pay for it.

Attachments

• various 129.jpg
    various 129.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 344
  • various 130.jpg
    various 130.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 351
  • various 135.jpg
    various 135.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 342
  • various 137.jpg
    various 137.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 345
  • various 138.jpg
    various 138.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 359
  • various 139.jpg
    various 139.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 351
Welcome to the site. There sure are some great bucks hitting the ground in OH lately.

Have you hunted any of the wildlife areas in OH? I've been curious about the AEP Gavin Plant area.

I haven't hunted AEP land any. There used to be some good hunting on Tranquility in bow season (it is a madhouse in gun season. Shawnee State Forest has some good public hunting too. I haven't been in either one for a few years though. It is tough finding private, it is all leased up. I have about 60 acres I hunt of private. It used to be around 6000 but farmers have all leased it now, and I don't blame them with as hard as it is to make a living from farming. Here is a link to ODNR tranquility map: https://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/Images/hunting/Wildlife Area Maps/pub036.gif

That is a freakin' museum! I like your indian arrowhead collection. WOW.
Welcome to Hunt Talk man - great 1st post.

Derek - welcome to the site, I to am an Ohio boy who has fallen in love with the West, you've found the site to get you by until you can make your next trip out west. I can understand your frustration with property access as I am aware of some of the recent whitetails taken in Adams county, hopefully your dad got a chance to mount one of those monsters. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the welcome everyone! My dad and I are "collectors" to say the least. Dad has spent his entire lifetime accumulating what is in that room, and I've tried to help where I can. Elkoholic, my dad did the Amish "lucky" buck. That is a replica of the rack bottom left center, to left of turkey feathers in the post of the second picture. It scored 300 6/8" gross, 291 2/8" net. That deer is pretty much what led to all of Adams county basically being leased.

Derek, another midwest boy here (IN) that is now in CO!! I was lucky enough to have Uncle Sam bring me out here and I ain't leavin' !! IN is going to leases too:( I am now lucky just to harvest a doe. Welcome!

Welcome Derek hope you enjoy the site as much as i do. Theres alot of good folks on here with alot of knowledge. Happy Holidays

Derek- that is awesome your dad got to mount that Amish "Lucky" buck, I am familiar with that deer. Agree with the leasing, sucks! 3yrs ago I lost a 130acre private woods I had permission to hunt for 13yrs, it was my honey hole, lost this to an outfitter leasing it, but the good news is he hasn't touched it and I have access to the property right across the road from it, things are good for now until he has his clients on it someday.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back