Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New guy from Arizona

Keegans13

Hey everybody,
I just joined to make it easier to find stuff on the site since I have been using it a lot lately. I don't have much to contribute because I have never hunted in my life but I have been trying to change that and have been using this site to get some info I need to start. Honestly, it's a bit overwhelming sometimes trying to get started but I'm working on it.

Hey everybody,
I just joined to make it easier to find stuff on the site since I have been using it a lot lately. I don't have much to contribute because I have never hunted in my life but I have been trying to change that and have been using this site to get some info I need to start. Honestly, it's a bit overwhelming sometimes trying to get started but I'm working on it.
Welcome from a fellow desert dweller. You'll want to put in the for the fall draw for Javelina that is a great intro hunt. BHA also is hosting an intro to upland hunting this fall.

Welcome from Mesa. Feel free to hit me up, I’m happy to provide advice or answer questions.

You may find this thread I started a few years back helpful as you try to figure out AZ.

Welcome to the site.
I'd recommend hunter safety class if you haven't already completed. The regulations/seasons can be confusing, so maybe start small with rabbit, quail, dove, javalina, where seasons are usually longer and maybe not bound by specific units. I'd at least put in for points in the annual lottery draw for antelope, elk, deer until I figured out a strategy/goal. Try and find a local mentor.
I used to live in California and remember how I felt like I was breaking the law for the first couple of years because the regulations were so confusing and the State lacked media to clarify details. It made me nervous and I can see how it might discourage a new hunter.

You may find this thread I started a few years back helpful as you try to figure out AZ.

That’s some really useful info, thanks for that!

Welcome to the site.
I'd recommend hunter safety class if you haven't already completed. The regulations/seasons can be confusing, so maybe start small with rabbit, quail, dove, javalina, where seasons are usually longer and maybe not bound by specific units. I'd at least put in for points in the annual lottery draw for antelope, elk, deer until I figured out a strategy/goal. Try and find a local mentor.
I used to live in California and remember how I felt like I was breaking the law for the first couple of years because the regulations were so confusing and the State lacked media to clarify details. It made me nervous and I can see how it might discourage a new hunter.
I haven’t taken a hunter safety class. Is it worth taking? I always thought it was more of a gun safety thing and didn’t think I needed it but I will have to look into it!

The laws and regulations have really been challenging to try and decipher. I’ll definitely look around for someone to help guide me with that stuff

I haven’t taken a hunter safety class. Is it worth taking? I always thought it was more of a gun safety thing and didn’t think I needed it but I will have to look into it!

The laws and regulations have really been challenging to try and decipher. I’ll definitely look around for someone to help guide me with that stuff
I would recommend it. It has gun safety but plenty of basic hunter knowledge and ethics. You can take the online version and then do an in person field day to sign off on the test. In AZ you receive a permanent bonus pt for completion so definitely worth it. FYI they are working through getting kids signed off from the past year of backlog since they canceled all the field days last year due to covid. It might be a few months before you can get into a field day as an adult.

If you need help with the regs give me a shout, I’m happy to answer questions or walk you through it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back