Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Old guy from western North Carolina mountains

pjciii

I will probably be dead before NC starts a lottery to take an Elk. I am hoping to learn from others successes and mistakes. I have been following the Elk overpopulation in SE Wyoming. Actually other parts the state. I am usable to walk-in 10 miles due bad left knee and herniated disk between l4 and l5. I do love the taste of Elk above any other wild game. I have retired and do love to fly fish also. I also enjoy riding my motorcycle. So unfortunately and in all honesty i will be trying to learn and may not have a lot to contribute. I hope that doesn't stop you from saying Hi.

patrick

Thank you. I figured start out down around the fire before I venture out into the wild of the rest of the forum

My taste for Elk is from restaurants, online purveyors of Elk online. Currently my arsenal consist of a .308, 30-30 and a 12ga. A couple of handguns and ammo for everything that I have. I am aware the it is normal to have to shoot long range for Elk and that I Currently I don't have the correct rifles for that, but that is half the fun of something new.

I will probably be dead before NC starts a lottery to take an Elk. I am hoping to learn from others successes and mistakes. I have been following the Elk overpopulation in SE Wyoming. Actually other parts the state. I am usable to walk-in 10 miles due bad left knee and herniated disk between l4 and l5. I do love the taste of Elk above any other wild game. I have retired and do love to fly fish also. I also enjoy riding my motorcycle. So unfortunately and in all honesty i will be trying to learn and may not have a lot to contribute. I hope that doesn't stop you from saying Hi.

patrick
Welcome

Welcome! It’s a decision to shoot long distance and I’d gamble to say most elk anywhere are taken <300yds. There’s this fella, Randy, and he’s shot at least 100 elk in Western states. Randy takes a lot of elk with .308 Win so you’ve already got what you need.

patrick

Welcome @pjciii Where are you at in NC?

Sorry I haven't replied. Seems like I have been for leaf blowing for 3 weeks. Guess I should change my perspective. When I retired I found a home on top of a mountain backed up to Nantahala NF. I beats the living in a big city. Also it's a bear sanctuary, so they roam in the property, on the road coming up the mountain. Black bears are fairly passive unless you surprise them or mess with cubs or their food. Have a Great Pyrenees that let's me know if something is around. The deer know just how far she can go and they just stay about 10 yards further away.

Somewhere in a thread on here a person mentioned Book your Hunt app.

I do thank you for the welcome from everyone.

It is Beautiful. Been up here about 2.5 years. Used to come up here camping. Now my home is like living in a tree house. House is just big enough for the dog and I. That will hopefully keep me from making a 4th mistake. I swear if I walk into a room full of women I will immediately be attracted to the sickest one.

no reason you can’t hang out with your 308.

if you start hunting elk and you consistently “need” to shoot over 200 or 300 yards I’d say you’re doing it wrong and it’s not the gun that would be limiting you. But shopping for guns is “fun” then have at it.

no reason you can’t hang out with your 308.

if you start hunting elk and you consistently “need” to shoot over 200 or 300 yards I’d say you’re doing it wrong and it’s not the gun that would be limiting you. But shopping for guns is “fun” then have at it.

I have alwaysb said its the person behind the rifle.
:ROFLMAO:
Of course like a typical old guy I will blame the equipment.

West of Franklin NC in the Wayah Valley.
Welcome. I just started a project in Asheville. I'm debating on whether or not to hang out a few extra days to do some fishing and look for bears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back