Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Gerber Knives

Got both of them in last week, don’t think I will be gifting either. The feel and look great! Can’t wait to put them into some hot red meat this fall!

Ok I’m a recovering knife addict, mostly LT Wright and Bark River fixed blades with the usual assortment of folders thrown in for good measure. I admit falling off the wagon for an EBS. When I joined RMEF they sent me a Gerber Vital (stoking the fire). Then Randy had to keep taking about the development of the EBS. well it was worth the wait. These two will be my dedicated field dressing knives in the kill kit. Very impressed with the EBS design.

Who can argue with 20% and free shipping? Can’t wait to try it out this fall!
And in all honesty since I thought the deal was too good to be true, here’s proof the discount works! Such a steal on something you’d expect to be priced closer to 100.

9E2D1FE2-26FA-4CC5-939C-87F7C7F19416.jpeg

Gave the DTS to Jr. and got the EBS for myself. Will switch with him if he chooses.....I like em both.

@Big Fin available thru Gerber, or will this be getting to my local outdoors stores (since the "merger", Dick and James C's store just isn't the same) any time soon? My son has a birthday at the end of the month and this could be just the ticket.

As I posted earlier the EBS ordered directly from Gerber came quickly with free shipping.

My Cabela’s/Bass Pro master Catalog that arrived today displays a full page of Gerber hunting knives, including the New Randy Newberg knives with photo and descriptions of each option. (page 266). Today I casually looked to see if they were on the shelf and didn’t find them there. I image that they will be displayed and stored in the fancy knives case. kansasson’s knife shipped with a sealed box which remains unopened until we head for wyoming.

Minneapolis Scheels:

4257826C-8041-45CA-A277-32F2FD01EDE1.jpeg

They also had a hanging display for replacement blades. No DTS seen

Trying the EBS first. I love having sharp blades and being able to change them easily between skinning and breaking down the meat, but I cannot make it through an entire animal without breaking one of my Havalon blades. This may be the best of all worlds here...

Trying the EBS first. I love having sharp blades and being able to change them easily between skinning and breaking down the meat, but I cannot make it through an entire animal without breaking one of my Havalon blades. This may be the best of all worlds here...
try the DTS. You could pry a manhole cover up with it and not break it

try the DTS. You could pry a manhole cover up with it and not break it
Do you think the DTS would get through an entire elk processing the gutless method without resharpening? I’m terrible at sharpening freehand. That’s what led me to the replaceable blades in the first place. The EBS I can at least resharpen with my jig when I get home.
Let me know what you think!

There are more informed and experienced opinions than mine. I generally use a scaple replaceable blade.
But i wanted one with some beef to it for a backup
But , yes, the DTS will make it thru an elk, I think

Last edited:
If anyone is having trouble getting a hold of one, camofire has them on sale today
That’s more than ordering from gerber with the Randy promo code. And gerber donates to RMEF when you purchase.

Do you think the DTS would get through an entire elk processing the gutless method without resharpening? I’m terrible at sharpening freehand. That’s what led me to the replaceable blades in the first place. The EBS I can at least resharpen with my jig when I get home.
Let me know what you think!

Yes, it should easily handle an entire elk without resharpening. I took one to BC where I did my Caribou. I came back to the states and did the better part of two elk and it was still in good shape. That is the benefit of using the tendon tool for the dirty work and conserving the edge on the cutting blade. The engineers promised me it would keep its edge for at least three elk and I am confident it will, so long as the tendon tool is used for the tendons, bones, etc.

Yes, it should easily handle an entire elk without resharpening. I took one to BC where I did my Caribou. I came back to the states and did the better part of two elk and it was still in good shape. That is the benefit of using the tendon tool for the dirty work and conserving the edge on the cutting blade. The engineers promised me it would keep its edge for at least three elk and I am confident it will, so long as the tendon tool is used for the tendons, bones, etc.

Hopefully we'll let you know in the coming weeks! I've removed my Wyoming saw from my pack to test out the DTS.
Mike

Back