Caribou Gear Tarp

New from Texas

Watts

Hello! I am an avid hunter and outdoorsman. I have hunted mostly in Africa for the last 10 years since that's where i lived, but I'm back in Texas now. just booked a fly-in DIY moose hunt in Ontario for this fall as my first North American Hunt in a very long time. Looking for any and all advice as I know absolutely nothing about moose hunting!

Welcome! Sounds like a amazing hunt my only tip shoot your moose as close to where the plane can land as possible. Are you using a float plane?

Thanks! Yes, using a float plane

I saw costs anywhere from $1500 to $6000 in Ontario. It appears the difference in cost is mostly in flight times and amenities. I’m sure success rates go up with the price, though.

We booked on the lower end of the price range.

Thanks! Yes, using a float plane

I saw costs anywhere from $1500 to $6000 in Ontario. It appears the difference in cost is mostly in flight times and amenities. I’m sure success rates go up with the price, though.

We booked on the lower end of the price range.
Sounds like a fun adventure and better than spending thousands on tag applications every year and not hunting. Good luck and get ready to deal with a lot of meat.

Kansasdad, I hunted northern Mozambique starting in 2009. I got started through my conservation support for a national reserve there. I was invited to help out with harvesting a buffalo for one of the communities inside the reserve for the chief’s birthday. Turns out, they let me pull the trigger. First animal ever shot in Africa was a buffalo.

From then, I became fast friends with the operators in the area, and ended up with multiple cheap or free places to hunt all around Africa for conservation purposes (more on that later). I have been numerous times to Mozambique, Zambia, South Africa, and Namibia; sometimes with a rifle, and sometimes with a bow.

Not all hunts were actually “hunts” some were solely for meat and feeding local villagers, others were for putting animals out of their misery due to snares, poison, or other issues.

My firm belief is that 90% of hunters who claim to be “hunting for conservation” don’t actually know what that means. I can tell you, hunting for conservation is not glamorous. It’s actually very sad in many cases. Yes, hunting dollars go towards conservation, but it’s just not that simple. I am in the process of establishing a non-profit called Conservation Community Investment Alliance which has the sole purpose of integrating industry, community, and conservation goals. A very big part of this is the establishment of criteria for what it means to “hunt for conservation”. We aim to become THE accrediting body for operators in Africa. If you hunt with someone with our seal of approval, you can be 100% guaranteed that the hunt will be ethical and will contribute to conservation needs in that area.

How’s that for an intro? I hope it wasn’t too long.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back