Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New from Michigan's UP

John Hubbard

Hi everyone, My name is John Hubbard and I was born and raised in the UP of Michigan. I grew up hunting, trapping and fishing with my dad, grandpa and brother. I've lived in a small town on Lake Superior for most of my life. When i was young my dad worked out west as a timber faller for Columbia Helicopters for and we bounced around the Pacific NW for a few years before returning to the UP. I did a short stint in Lower Michigan right out of college but moved back as soon as possible. I joined the forum to learn more about western big game hunting. A group of friends and I bow hunted South Dakota this fall and had a great time. We chased a few whitetails in the black hills but really spent most of the time chasing mule deer in the NW part of the state due to the fact I drew an access tag for 35L. For many years my real passion has been hound hunting for bear and it has consumed me at times. I have hunted bear and hogs with my hounds in New Mexico, Alabama, Wisconsin and Oklahoma. My dad and I also used to hunt whitetails in NW Ontario before the population crash as well as hunting caribou in Quebec before they closed the season. Deer populations here in the UP have really declined the last few years due to bad winters and the explosion of wolves in our area. Thanks for all the info you guys put on this forum and I look forward to reading and learning more. If any members are ever in the UP and want to go on a bear chase or catch a pile of lake trout on Lake Superior feel free to shoot me a message.

Welcome! Grew up as a "Troll" but am now in CA. Have an uncle who owns a cabin just outside Paradise.

Welcome. Although I’ve never been to the UP, I’ve fished Charlevoix and had a good time catching Smallmouth. I’ve only been on here about a second, but there sure are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this forum.

Welcome from down state, I’m sitting on a pile of bear points. Tell us more about running them.
What exactly would you like to know? I’d be happy to answer any questions. The most common misconception is that it’s easy. It’s very rare that the dogs will catch or tree a bear in a nice area. It alway seems to be in the biggest hell holes in the area. The hike into them is usually wet and demanding. Not to say they won’t tree on a nice hardwood ridge 100yds off the road but those are few and far between. I honestly enjoy training season more than kill season. That time of year there’s less people around and there’s no pressure. The most important thing to me is raising dogs and doing my best into making them into top notch bear hounds.

Welcome John from Marquette, I know your family well if you’re the Hubbard’s from Grand Marais
Yep, I’m from Grand Marais. My dad grew up in Marquette. Did you grow up there. Do you know my brother Luke that runs the stores for Fox Motors?

I know your Dad and have met your brother, went to school and was a friend with your uncle Scott. my Dad and your Grandfather John were best of friends

I know your Dad and have met your brother, went to school and was a friend with your uncle Scott. my Dad and your Grandfather John were best of friends
Small world. There’s not a day goes by that I don’t think about Scott. I was really close with him. We may have met before. Everyone calls me Logger. A nickname that has stuck with me since I was a baby. Lol

I will have to give you a shout later next year, I used to run a Red Tick on coons before the market dropped out and his age caught up with him.

I’ve had two, both had amazing noses. I loved watching them work. I could turn them out in a wide open hay field and the noses were up in the air. They would zig zag the wind and within minutes have one singled out.

I’ve been collecting my bear points for a first season tag but I’ve always wanted to try and tree one.

Small world. There’s not a day goes by that I don’t think about Scott. I was really close with him. We may have met before. Everyone calls me Logger. A nickname that has stuck with me since I was a baby. Lol

Im sure we have met at least once if not more. I’ll pm u my cell number and next time you’re in the area I’ll be happy to share my experience with western hunting.

I’ve had two, both had amazing noses. I loved watching them work. I could turn them out in a wide open hay field and the noses were up in the air. They would zig zag the wind and within minutes have one singled out.

I’ve been collecting my bear points for a first season tag but I’ve always wanted to try and tree one.
If you’re ever up this way in the summer you can go with me in training season to see if you like it.
Im sure we have met at least once if not more. I’ll pm u my cell number and next time you’re in the area I’ll be happy to share my experience with western hunting.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks
Merry Christmas

If you’re ever up this way in the summer you can go with me in training season to see if you like it

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back