Caribou Gear

New from Michigan's UP

Welcome from CO. My family is down the thumb in Clinton Township just off St Clair. Used to go up north in the summer when I was a kid. Love it over the bridge :)

Welcome from a fellow Michigander. Although a troll, I spent a fair amount of time living in the UP and still get back when I can. If you ever need info on bears, cats, and lake trout from troll land, just let me know.

Hi everyone, My name is John Hubbard and I was born and raised in the UP of Michigan. I grew up hunting, trapping and fishing with my dad, grandpa and brother. I've lived in a small town on Lake Superior for most of my life. When i was young my dad worked out west as a timber faller for Columbia Helicopters for and we bounced around the Pacific NW for a few years before returning to the UP. I did a short stint in Lower Michigan right out of college but moved back as soon as possible. I joined the forum to learn more about western big game hunting. A group of friends and I bow hunted South Dakota this fall and had a great time. We chased a few whitetails in the black hills but really spent most of the time chasing mule deer in the NW part of the state due to the fact I drew an access tag for 35L. For many years my real passion has been hound hunting for bear and it has consumed me at times. I have hunted bear and hogs with my hounds in New Mexico, Alabama, Wisconsin and Oklahoma. My dad and I also used to hunt whitetails in NW Ontario before the population crash as well as hunting caribou in Quebec before they closed the season. Deer populations here in the UP have really declined the last few years due to bad winters and the explosion of wolves in our area. Thanks for all the info you guys put on this forum and I look forward to reading and learning more. If any members are ever in the UP and want to go on a bear chase or catch a pile of lake trout on Lake Superior feel free to shoot me a message.
hi, i’m from maine and i hunt montana every year and this will be my second year doing colorado too. i’m looking for a new place to hunt northern whitetail bc maine is just down right now. I have always wanted to hunt the porcupine mountains I’m thinking about trying late ML this december. im not a tree stand hunter. I track and still hunt. Do you think I could have a good hunt up there?
thanks for any advice
Rick

hi, i’m from maine and i hunt montana every year and this will be my second year doing colorado too. i’m looking for a new place to hunt northern whitetail bc maine is just down right now. I have always wanted to hunt the porcupine mountains I’m thinking about trying late ML this december. im not a tree stand hunter. I track and still hunt. Do you think I could have a good hunt up there?
thanks for any advice
Rick
Our deer heard in the UP is way down right now between the last 3 bad winters and the explosion of our wolf population. You may still be able to find a nice buck in that area. It’s beautiful country in the porkies.

thanks for that. i may still give it a try. It seems that wherever i hunt outside of northern new england my definition of bad hunting is usually a LOT worse hunting than the locals definition of bad hunting

Hi everyone, My name is John Hubbard and I was born and raised in the UP of Michigan. I grew up hunting, trapping and fishing with my dad, grandpa and brother. I've lived in a small town on Lake Superior for most of my life. When i was young my dad worked out west as a timber faller for Columbia Helicopters for and we bounced around the Pacific NW for a few years before returning to the UP. I did a short stint in Lower Michigan right out of college but moved back as soon as possible. I joined the forum to learn more about western big game hunting. A group of friends and I bow hunted South Dakota this fall and had a great time. We chased a few whitetails in the black hills but really spent most of the time chasing mule deer in the NW part of the state due to the fact I drew an access tag for 35L. For many years my real passion has been hound hunting for bear and it has consumed me at times. I have hunted bear and hogs with my hounds in New Mexico, Alabama, Wisconsin and Oklahoma. My dad and I also used to hunt whitetails in NW Ontario before the population crash as well as hunting caribou in Quebec before they closed the season. Deer populations here in the UP have really declined the last few years due to bad winters and the explosion of wolves in our area. Thanks for all the info you guys put on this forum and I look forward to reading and learning more. If any members are ever in the UP and want to go on a bear chase or catch a pile of lake trout on Lake Superior feel free to shoot me a message.
Hello from Alberta

Welcome from MO. Lived in Michigan for a few years and bowhunted some up by Alpena and also across the state at Charlevoix.

Welcome to HT

thanks for that. i may still give it a try. It seems that wherever i hunt outside of northern new england my definition of bad hunting is usually a LOT worse hunting than the locals definition of bad hunting
Ha ha, this holds true for Adirondackers, as well!

Back