Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New elk pack suggestions?

Outofstate-r

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a pack. In 2014 I will be going on my first DIY backpacking elk hunt and although I backpack a good bit, I need something other than my Deuter 35. Any suggestions would be appreciated, lightweight and comfortable would be great. Thanks

So many better options these days for hunters. What is your budget and what are your trip details....ie what capacity do you need. Plenty of options from Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Paradox, KUIU, Stone Glacier etc. etc.

I got a stone glacier solo this year. Have also used mystery ranch. Mystery ranch has more pockets and such, weighs a fair ammt more. I prefer the solo, hands down. Very light weight, shrinks to nothing behind my back and basically bare bones, only 2 pockets. Has an integrated meat shelf(works awesome). Depends what you're after, I won't bash on mystery ranch cuz they're a great pack too. I just prefer the solo.

Watch E-bay. If you are patient you can usually buy a pack that would normally cost several hundred dollars for less than 100. I have a couple of different sizes of Eberlestock packs but just added a Blacks Creek barbarian to the collection for a mid sized pack. In perfect condition with the extra spotting scope cases for $56 on e-bay. No need to spend $500+ bucks on something you are not going to use that much. Also might just look at a simple pack frame.

As JRYoung said there are lots of solid packs out there. I believe there is a new one called Alps or Alpine, something like that, it was real affordable. Also look at Badlands, Blacks Creek, Eberlestock, Cabelas, and other hiking type packs that would probably work for you.

Here is a previous thread about the same topic.
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=257053&highlight=backpack

I am gonna try not to exceed 350.00 if that is possible. All of my gear is for 3 season ultralight. Down bag, 2 man tent < 3 lbs, when I back pack I can fit 3 days into a 35........I am going to go for at least 5 days. So I am thinking 45 or 55? Would most think that is a correct assumption?

I no longer use my Mystery Ranch crewcab but had dead critters in it for several years. I see one for sale every month or so and the last one was just over $300. If you prefer a pack that's shorter but will haul 2-3 days worth of gear and your critter, it will work fine.
You can also use the new version REI XT85. Tons of people are using it, just don't put 100# in it and it will work and last for years.

You don't seem to hear much about it lately but I used the Badlands Sacrifice on my last hunt and really liked it. It could use a few tweaks, but for a smaller fella where every ounce counts it was really light. Comfortable too. It came from ebay new.

Crew Cab gets my vote...antelope, deer, elk it has worked great for 1 day to 4 day trips. Super tough and versatile. Check kifaru.net for a used one.

It's all about the badlands 2200. I ditched my eberle and mystery and now carry this pack for everything. Life time warranty and solidly built. I have backcountry hunted with it for years; packed out lots of elk and have even carried out entire muley bucks plus gear in one sitting. Preferably I ditch gear and first load, then use pack frame for rest. I like all the pockets and the back pad zipper is genius when fully loaded down. After 5 seasons off heavy abuse I need to send it in for some tlc but it's been great. Lots of buddy use and love this pack. I've sold piles and almost everyone likes it. I would like to spend time with the glaciers and more time with the Kuiu

I have demos to compare right now from Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, Oregon Pack Works, Paradox packs, and am waiting for a new Kifaru. All have strengths and weaknesses IMO, but you couldn't go wrong with any of these for western hunting.

I have demos to compare right now from Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, Oregon Pack Works, Paradox packs, and am waiting for a new Kifaru. All have strengths and weaknesses IMO, but you couldn't go wrong with any of these for western hunting.

Cant wait to hear about the new SG. Most likely going to be my next pack.

This is the eberlestock Blue Widow. I went with this pack because it was in my budget range. Would look into the MR and Stone Glacier packs also. Overall I'm very happy with my pack. It hauled out 1 mountain goat, 5 elk, 1 antelope, and 2 deer this season.image.jpg

Anyone used the Eberlestock Destroyer? For the price it looks pretty legit (you can find them for around 270 if you know where to look). They have functional load lifters, and are a pretty straight forward basic pack that isn't too heavy either. After handling one, I'm probably going to give it a shot next year.

If money was not a factor Stone Glacier looks awesome (and they have new packs coming out in '14). I love the meat shelf concept.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I ended up going with the blue widow. Hopefully I will get to haul something out with it before to long.

Used the Badlands Super Day for 3 years but just sent it in for the second time for repairs. Really like the pack though for a day pack. How about Tenzing 2220??

Anyone used the Eberlestock Destroyer? For the price it looks pretty legit (you can find them for around 270 if you know where to look). They have functional load lifters, and are a pretty straight forward basic pack that isn't too heavy either. After handling one, I'm probably going to give it a shot next year.

If money was not a factor Stone Glacier looks awesome (and they have new packs coming out in '14). I love the meat shelf concept.

I have tested one briefly. They will haul a load well, and if your into fancy pockets here and there they have a lot of that, much like everything Eberle makes. I would recommend the Destroyer or Battleship over anything in the J-series as far as load bearing goes, mostly because of the load lifters.

For a solid pack well within your price range & built to bivy or pack heavy loads if need be you may want to check out the Horn Hunter Full Curl pack system for 300.00 shipped free. It won't break the bank & has great adjustment with serious load lifters for short or tall hunters. This is the pack I'll be using for 2014, check it out here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyqXrEol6Ks - Hope this helps!

ElkNut1

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back