Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New Director for MT FWP

Hammerhead

Gov. Greg Gianforte announced Wednesday his nomination of Henry “Hank” Worsech to lead the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife, and Parks.

“Protecting our public lands and conserving wildlife is a shared priority of landowners, hunters, anglers, and all Montanans who cherish our outdoor heritage. It’s part of what defines our Montana way of life,” Gianforte said in a statement. “With nearly two decades of experience with Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, Hank understands the importance of this tradition and is committed to strengthening it.”

A public servant for nearly three decades, Worsech most recently served as a license bureau chief for the Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

Over his 17 years with the department, Worsech helped foster landowner and sportsmen relations, worked closely with department management over two administrations, and oversaw department licensing to advance FWP’s mission, according to the news release from the Governor’s Office.

“It’s a true honor to be selected as the director of Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks, and I look forward to working alongside the great employees once again,” Worsech said in a statement from the Governor’s Office. “I am excited to work with such a proven leader as Governor Gianforte and his team to provide improved citizen services, expand access opportunities, and build strong landowner-sportsmen relationships. We’ll deliver on the governor’s call to reach our full potential by providing the citizens of Montana unsurpassed outdoor experiences.”

The news release said Worsech is a Marine Corps veteran who settled in Montana over 30 years ago after being discharged from his duties as an administrative and legal chief for the service.

I dealt with Hank on the phone a couple of years ago. I have nothing but good things to say! I had been drawing the "Back Home To Hunt" nonresident license package for a couple of seasons. The package includes a deer A tag, a bird license, and a season fishing license. Reading the regs it appeared that my brother had to be with me for all hunting and fishing. I usually hunted birds by myself so called the Helena office to see if I should buy a separate nonresident bird license. The nice lady who answered the call said she couldn't figure it out and would have her boss look into it. Hank called me. He said it was definitely unclear from the regs but the intent when setting up the combo was that the resident relative only had to be with the nonresident hunter for big game. "I'm giving you a get out of jail card if anyone bothers you. Have them call and ask for Hank." Turns out he's done some fishing near here. We had quite a nice chat about hunting there and here. Very personable.

I worked with Hank starting in 2007 and can't say enough good things about the man. He's an honest, forthright & dependable person with a solid conservation ethic & desire to bring people together. He is well liked by every stakeholder I can think of, and he's known for his integrity & no bullshit approach.

I was fairly concerned given who else was in the running, but I think this is a really solid pick by Governor Gianforte. It's all fun & games to rail on FWP when you're on the campaign trail, it's a heck of a lot different once you look under the hood & see all the moving parts & how passionate people are about these issues. I thought GG's picks for the Commission weren't terrible either.

I’m not sure it’s so much the pick as it is the picker, but yeah morale is going to be in par with the bottom of a shitter real soon.
Have the people of a state ever called for the job of a wildlife agency director?

Have the people of a state ever called for the job of a wildlife agency director?
Only nineteen states have recall in their constitutions. Montana requires proof of some sort of malfeasance by the petitioners. The defendant has a right to appeal to courts to establish validity of the claim in petition. Interesting that eleven states allow recall without any grounds needed.

However, because the director is appointed, in Montana anyway, recall would not seem to apply as it is technically also an election to install a replacement. It would seem impeachment and trial would be the appropriate route. And how far do you think that would go in the present stacked legislature? Pffft!

Last edited:
Only nineteen states have recall in their constitutions. Montana requires proof of some sort of malfeasance by the petitioners. The defendant has a right to appeal to courts to establish validity of the claim in petition. Interesting that eleven states allow recall without any grounds needed.

However, because the director is appointed, in Montana anyway, recall would not seem to apply as it is technically also an election to install a replacement. It would seem impeachment and trial would be the appropriate route. And how far do you think that would go in the present stacked legislature? Pffft!
Well my thought was if he's appointed by the Gov and serves at his pleasure...then with enough pressure the Gov might see his reelection bid hurt if Worsech catches too much heat for supporting this nonsense. But then again....might not accomplish much as the Gov will probably select someone just as bad or worse to replace him.

Well my thought was if he's appointed by the Gov and serves at his pleasure...then with enough pressure the Gov might see his reelection bid hurt if Worsech catches too much heat for supporting this nonsense. But then again....might not accomplish much as the Gov will probably select someone just as bad or worse to replace him.
You drunk bruh?

The biggest kicks in the head come from those you had high hopes for or at least from those didn't expect it from.
Sucks watching this tie in.

If Hank is the guy folks thought he is.. would it be complete career suicide to resign?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back