New CEO @ MeaterEater

This seems to be the case.
"Bergsman has an established track record in media strategy and finance, having previously worked at NBC Universal, The Walt Disney Company, and Goldman Sachs."
There is a difference between being smart re business models vs. being passionate about an industry with connections to people that are representative of all aspects of the ecosystem that is that industry.

The person at the top of the A-B crapshow is smart and was a Navy Seal. He knows how to get things done. Nimble on his feet. Alas, tone deaf to what a large portion of his ecosystem values. I like companies that have a big tent that attracts a diverse workforce and diverse customers. Nike did this with Air Jordans. Nike was not trying to broaden the social awareness of their customers. They were not trying to create a safe place. They were trying to sell shoes. Nike probably donated money to causes that had missions to improve social awareness. Nike did not wave that flag themselves, though.

I like the message MeatEater promotes. Good for Steve and his team. The CEO is hopefully humble enough to walk the aisles of hunting and conservation trade show floors and sit down with a few outfitters, firearm companies, Cabela's, Average Joe's that are solo adventurers and a couple of hunters that have harvested the bulk of the North American game species. Talk with a new hire or two and a couple of the longest tenured team members. Go spend time in the warehouse filling customer product orders. Sit in on one of the tapings that goes out as a podcast. Wear and test items that are sold and some of the competitor versions. Read the books published. Read the nasty emails that customers or others email or tweet then call up a couple to chat on where they feel things are screwed up about the experience they had with MeatEater. If the CEO was around for several years in other roles at MeatEater then should have previously done most of the above by now.

I used to think I was just being a curmudgeon saying MeatEater "ain't what it used to be". Then they dropped all the original seasons on YouTube and it 100% confirmed it. It's become what I watched it to avoid. Cushy ranch hunts with rich buddies pushing products. I guess it was inevitable.
Sellouts… team pup and suds for life

Actually would . . .
Lengua is a favorite. Our neighbor just made me a big batch from a couple elk and a deer tongue. Vacuum sealed the left overs for boil-a-bags.

Wife will only eat it if I call it barbacoa, then she’ll hammer it down.

Lengua is a favorite. Our neighbor just made me a big batch from a couple elk and a deer tongue. Vacuum sealed the left overs for boil-a-bags.

Wife will only eat it if I call it barbacoa, then she’ll hammer it down.
Ever serve somebody rabbitchicken? It’s terrific, especially pulled bbq rabbitchicken with same rationale as barbacoa.

Seen’t on LinkedIn a former ME recruiter talking about how it’s sad when companies lose their original passion or something along those lines. I wonder if there’s trouble in paradise? Probably not but I love to gossip.

Last edited:
They're looking at a yearly revenue of more than the entire game and fish budgets for many states, with a lot of content generated from utilizing public resources. I'd like to see some receipts on how much they're really giving back to conservation before I suit up with any more First Lite...

They're looking at a yearly revenue of more than the entire game and fish budgets for many states, with a lot of content generated from utilizing public resources. I'd like to see some receipts on how much they're really giving back to conservation before I suit up with any more First Lite...
Could that explain the recent trend to posh ranches?

Meateater being in Bozeman, I keep hoping to see a lot of the personalities within that company in Helena during the legislative session or at season setting meetings, EMP scoping, etc. They came from the “class” of hunting I still occupy, are business owners, and have reach. I haven’t really seen it yet, though I have appreciated Ryan Callaghan’s outspokenness on a pile of issues.

Only replying to this now as it was a “similar thread” on the Yeti/MR thread.

Having worked with Jason Bergsman, I can say he is a great fit for the MeatEater team. He’s been involved since the Chernin investment and while his pedigree may lead some to think he’s not relatable, that is not the case. Whatever his business is, he has proven to identify and address the target customer/market.

Back