New Camera

jabber

Just received my new Nikon D90 and know absolutely nothing about it. Anybody got any shortcuts they can give me for getting started? I hate reading directions, but unless I can get some help, I may have to with this one.

Jabber, I was not a big fan of the D90 booklet either. Try youtube, I found lots of useful stuff there.

What about this camera, the Olympus SP-800UZ

Type Zoom lens - 4.9 mm - 147 mm - f/2.8-5.6
Focal Length 4.9 mm - 147 mm
Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 28 - 840mm (That's like the world's longest lens, eh? Plus, its faster than the Nikon, eh?)
Focus Adjustment Automatic, manual

With manual focus, you can override that autofocus mess up when they have trouble.

I'm about to order one of those, any critiques?

Last edited:
Are you looking for specifics on the D90, or running DSLR's in general?

Thank you mtmiller, watched a couple and learned a few things, looks like that will be a good source. Would have never thought to look there.

SoCalBowhunter, I will check that site out also, thanks.

And Carl, my first thought when I read your question was, YES.

Oh, and Tom....

See that dial on the top left hand side....Move it to auto and point the camera and push the button...LOL J/K...What I can suggest is figure out how to manaully adjust the camera's aperture....and stuff like that...Move the wheel to A and take some pictures and see how they come out...then to M and take some pictures....That is how I learned.

One feature I will tell you about it the autofocus mode..if you are going to be taking pictures of moving things change this so it's adjusting the focus automatically as the subject moves...it's called AF-A.

That's my tip of the day!

Miller should give us all a lesson on good photography.....i just bought a new Canon Rebel that is capable of way more than i know what to do with it. Got a few decent pics so far but not close to the league of miller and a couple others on here.

I've spent a lot of time looking for a good introductory dslr page on the internet since this thread started, to no avail. After I gave up on that hunt, I've spent some time trying to type something up, and have kept getting stopped short (apologies to frank constanza). Never the less, I'd like to help any fellow hunttalkers out with their fancy cameras, even though I may not be the best for the job (I'm thinking of you, Tony and Troy, and probably Craig).

If any of you would like to gleen any knowledge I have to pass on regarding cameras, feel free to pm me a phone #, I'd be more than happy to share my limited smarts.

I've spent a lot of time looking for a good introductory dslr page on the internet since this thread started, to no avail. After I gave up on that hunt, I've spent some time trying to type something up, and have kept getting stopped short (apologies to frank constanza). Never the less, I'd like to help any fellow hunttalkers out with their fancy cameras, even though I may not be the best for the job (I'm thinking of you, Tony and Troy, and probably Craig).

If any of you would like to gleen any knowledge I have to pass on regarding cameras, feel free to pm me a phone #, I'd be more than happy to share my limited smarts.

May very well take you up on that depending on how the following goes.

Nikon D90 for Dummies just came in the mail, I am going to give it a try.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back