Caribou Gear

New Cabelas in Eastern Idaho

ERSS

Drove down to SLC yesterday and checked out the hunt expo, have not gone down for a few years. Haven't been missing much. 3 hours down, walk around for 2 hours and then 3 hours back, Did get to meet an OYOA TV star!

Got back home and heard this news. Will be kind fun having a Cabelas store less than a mile from my office. Hope it doesn't put all the local guys out of business.

(AMMON, ID) – Construction is scheduled to begin later this year and Cabela’s plans to open the location in spring 2015. The 42,000-square-foot store will be located in the Sandcreek Commons development near Hitt Road and Sunnyside Avenue, and will serve the greater Idaho Falls area. It will be Cabela’s third Idaho location, joining the Boise store opened in 2006 and the Post Falls store opened in 2007. Cabela’s expects the store to employ approximately 90 full-time and part-time employees, most of whom will come from Ammon and the surrounding area.

The Ammon store will be designed with a rugged look and feel and offer seasonal product assortments. In addition to thousands of quality outdoor products, the store also will feature museum-quality wildlife displays, innovative digital signage, an indoor archery range and archery tech room, gun counter and more. Customers will be treated to the exciting Cabela’s shopping experience with access to all Cabela’s merchandise via online order kiosks, as well as free shipping with an in-store pickup program. In-store pickup allows customers to order Cabela’s gear ahead of time and pick it up at their convenience at the store of their choice.

“It’s incredibly exciting to announce a third location in Idaho, a place Cabela’s loves,” said Tommy Millner, Cabela’s Chief Executive Officer. “The continued loyalty of Cabela’s customers across the state, coupled with the success of our Boise and Post Falls locations, made it an easy decision to open a store in Ammon.”

There goes Sportsman's Warehouse.
Why do you say that? On average Cabela's does not have better prices than our local sporting goods stores. We are about to get one North of where I live. Not really exited, but maybe they will have a better inventory on products I look for. Not holding my breath though. mtmuley

There's a Sportsman's Warehouse in Colorado Springs. A new Bass Pro Shop just opened up up there and it hasn't hurt SW business all that much.

The new Cabelas is basically going in across the street from Sportsmans Warehouse. Should be interesting.....

Idaho Falls is under 60,000 population and some local guys just built and opened a new Gun Shop across town that is pretty good sized and looking to cover all aspects of the outdoors.

Seems odd they would build the new Cabelas on the far side of town, a long ways from the interstate.

Surprisingly close to the Sportsman's Warehouse in IF. Idaho Falls and the surrounding areas have some great local gear shops, I hope they are able to survive. The service at some of them is outstanding.

This new store concept is referred to as a base camps. The will be smaller in sq ft and will often retro fit into pre existing buildings. Smaller stores with smaller inventories. They will be top seller, bread and butter inventories that are continually rolling over to mirror seasons. They will rely heavily on internet sales and kiosk orders, then offer free shipping to the store. Once there, the idea is to get you to buy more then just your orders. Gone are the flag ships, this is the new concept. That includes the nw mt store.

You've seen nothing til you've been to hamburger pa. Five yrs ago they had a three story building slated to go in that area but the numbers didn't make sense.

If what Redwood describes is true, I bet the new Cabela's in my area has minimal impact on the already established outdoor retailers. Especially since the ones established are in tune with the local consumer and offer what we need after many years of service. I'll still visit the store, I'm just not as enamored with Cabela's as I once was. mtmuley

Used to pore thru that big thick catalogue and order from the 800 number. Shipping was reasonable and before they built in state, no sales tax. Pretty easy to beat their prices and receive free shipping these days. I still find excuses to visit the Ft Worth location when in the area and pick up an on sale item.

That's gospel, I served to many years in that clink. Buy local; better prices and better service. Not just for the consumer but employees as well.

We got one of those "seasonal" cabelas about a year ago in central Ohio, smaller store,,,not impressed. It's ok to go walk around & check things out but seems every time I'm after something to see it, feel it or try it on they don't carry it. IMO the best cabelas is in Dundee Mi. I believe it's there largest store too. Overall, thanks to great info on this site I'm finding out about much greater quality gear at other company's.

I checked out The Gun Shop. They are good guys. The particular bullets I purchased were about 6 bucks a box cheaper at SW however. I do like that store though. On a different note, went to our local gun show yesterday. One thing that stood out was the ridiculous pricing still applied to .22 LR mtmuley

Cabela's opened in Richfield, Sportsmans Warehouse-gone, local shop-gone.... local shop owner now works for Cabela...... C's gets TIFs, Kansas City C's IS awesome but finding anything Made in the USA is rare to be sure. jm2c

I checked out The Gun Shop. They are good guys. The particular bullets I purchased were about 6 bucks a box cheaper at SW however. I do like that store though. On a different note, went to our local gun show yesterday. One thing that stood out was the ridiculous pricing still applied to .22 LR mtmuley

That .22 thing has gone on quite a while. Its not like there is a shortage due to military use or anything when it comes to .22's. I am not a big conspiracy theory guy, but the longer this goes on, I can't help but wonder if there is some industry based plan to keep the supply at a marginal level to maximize the price due to demand. I hoarded .22's a few years ago when I owned Elk Ridge Shooting Supply, so have not had to suffer the price gouging yet.

There is a Cabelas Outpost that recently opened in Kalispell. I walked through and walked out w/o anything. Glad to see some more people at work though aside from that I enjoy the Sportsman Warehouse that reclaimed it's home from that Canadian junk sales store in Missoula. Apparently there is another Outpost build in Missoula as well. I suppose it will help with pricing between Bob Wards, Sportsman Warehouse and the Outpost.

More work the merrier.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back