Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New Bow for an old man

Rooster52

Looking at buying a new bow ,something with a peak draw weight of 50 pounds ,lite weght and not over 36 inch length. Any sugjestions ?
Something for elk hunting.
I have an older Bear bow but looking at something else.

Take a look at the Elite line. You can get them with a 50lb peak, and for all of the bows I have drawn, they have the smoothest draw cycle, so they are super easy on the shoulders. They are pretty good values as well (there top of the line is about 900 new), and you can find some great deals on Archerytalk on used ones as well. I picked up a new 2013 Answer last spring for $450, it outshoots my $1400 Hoyt Carbon Matrix, and is so smooth that 74lbs feels like 64 compared to my Hoyt.

I shot the Bowtech Prodigy and I love it. I'm also partial to Elites. You can pick up a 2011 through 2014 Pure for right around $400. You might have to dig around a bit for 50lb limbs (or you can buy them) but one with 60lb limbs will dial down very close to 50.

Emrah

I would shoot a Bowtech Prodigy, a Mathews Chill X and at least one other NON speed bow. There are some great deals on Bowtech Experience right now since they are being phased out so if money is a concern that might be a better fit than the Prodigy. Very similar bows.

+ 1 for Elite. I have an Elite Energy 32 and it sounds like it would meet all of your requirements. Worth a look.

Literally all of the MFRS make good bows now...the AT classifieds have some good used bows

The new Mathews No-Cam is a bow that has my interest. Reminds me of a very updated version of the older round wheel bows of the '90s. Smoothness of draw is something I really value in a hunting bow.

As a bow junky I would say to do a couple things before buying a bow. #1. Do not read about the new bows on the web. Between the fanboys and hype it will influence your decision. #2. Have a budget for bare bow when you walk into a shop. If you can't afford a certain bow do not shoot it and tempt yourself. Any hunting compound today will get the job done. #3. Shoot everything that the shop has to offer. If need be ask them to cover up the labels so you have no idea what brand you are shooting. If you skipped step one this will help with a realistic appraisal. #4. Shoot them one after another and start narrowing them down. When you get to the last two pick the one you like. A bow is a totally subjective feel thing. What is right for someone else on the internet or in person may not be right for you. Do not let them sway your opinion and shoot what you are comfortable with. When some clown tries to give you crap about the bow you shoot just smile and keep drilling X rings with the rig you are comfortable with.

Last edited:
I agree with shooting a bunch to see what you like. That said, I don't see how anyone could NOT like a Bowtech Experience, especially if you pick one up that's discounted for closeout.

I'm 62 and enjoy my 50lb 2009 Mathews HyperLite. It's about 30" long and I have no problem toting it around all day long. I advise going to several bow shops and shoot everything you can, and ask them about shooting used bows they may have.

Back