Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

new boot questions

Robertsj22

im looking for a boot that will be used in late season. I need something that will be warm enough to sit for hours in zero degree weather and still have the support that is needed for long pack outs. It seems like im asking a boot to do too much. i was thinking the kenetrek 1000 gram boots but they don't come in wide sizes.

It seems like im asking a boot to do too much
You are. ⬆️

You know that layering system we've all been taught about? Keep that on your feet, too. 1000gr boots are 100% bullshit.

1) It's too much insulation, so it packs out and doesn't retain its 'R-Value'.
2) IF you are sitting in a Treestand all day, they can help - that's why LaCrosse makes 1600gr rubber boots (Bubba's got cold feet)
3) The moment you start hiking, especially climbing, you're feet sweat like a fat kid at a buffet
4) The average foot sweats enough to fill a shot glass, in an hour, while watching TV. Imagine climbing vertically, how much more we sweat.
5) Go un-insulated- regulate w/ socks. Thicker or thinner, liner, change socks after the climb.

There is no magic boot, but foot management is key.

Best of luck.

You are. ⬆️

You know that layering system we've all been taught about? Keep that on your feet, too. 1000gr boots are 100% bullshit.

2) IF you are sitting in a Treestand all day, they can help - that's why LaCrosse makes 1600gr rubber boots (Bubba's got cold feet)
3) The moment you start hiking, especially climbing, you're feet sweat like a fat kid at a buffet
4) The average foot sweats enough to fill a shot glass, in an hour, while watching TV. Imagine climbing vertically, how much more we sweat.
5) Go un-insulated- regulate w/ socks. Thicker or thinner, liner, change socks after the climb.

Best of luck.
Very good advice. I wear Muck Boots all day long hunting pheasants in below freezing conditions but I'm moving all the time. Feet get sweaty but I have good socks and always a dry pair thrown in the game bag ... that I've yet to change into. If I had to stop for any time at all it would be trouble. So yeah, manage your feet for what comes up. Don't expect to drag a couple pairs of boots along for changing situations but you can certainly take a couple different pairs of socks. And I agree entirely that boots overstuffed with Thinsulate are bullshit.

A fella I know who does the treestand thing uses down booties to keep his feet warm while sitting for hours. Very compact and lightweight. I think someone makes those that fit over boots? Anyone else tried this?

You are. ⬆️

Best of luck.

I completely agree with this. I hunt down well below zero in uninsulated boots. Depending how cold it is, I may change socks for fresh dry ones when I get hiked into wherever. It's a weird feeling taking your boots and socks off when its below zero but it works.

On really cold days, say -30f, I'll pack in a set of insulated boots (the 1600gr ones you referenced) and change socks and boots when I get hiked in......and my feet have quit sweating. Warm feet all day.....if you can keep them dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back