New boot options?

Big news tonight from one of my "product knowledge" pre-grand opening training sessions at Scheels here in the Springs......as of 2022 Meindl will be in Scheels!!!!! Apparently after the BPS buyout fiasco Meindl saw the writing on the wall and pulled out of that deal. Big win for us as with them coming to Scheels you will be back to having them with a 100% satisfaction guarantee and trained footwear fittings in person!!!

Finding the boot that fits you best is more important than brand. Sierra does have some good deals.

As for Danner’s there really is no comparison between the US made ones and the less expensive imported ones. They have a 40 percent off sale at least once a year and makes the US made models easier to stomach.

And I own Lowa and Hanwag also, so I know the advantages of the European boots for true mountain hunting. Still something in me loves the all leather US made Danner models for certain situations.

Last edited:
I wear the Solomon quest 4D gtx and though they are not leather they are super light, breathable, and waterproof. I have 2 pairs and each has several hundred miles on them. They have a 2 year warranty that if they leak or crack Solomon sends you a full price refund at retail price, which typically means your getting more than you paid for them. I seen them recently for $169 online. Just have to do lots of searching to find your size on sale.

Oboz Bridgers. I have been sporting a pair of everyday walking and hiking. All leather, well made for its pricepoint, which was $150.

I wore Danners for work(Park Ranger) for 20 yrs and will now never buy another. Even the US made is junk compared to what they used to make. Rarley hunted in them.
Wore Meindels way before Cabellas had them and were my go to hunt boot for years.

Went back to my backpacking roots 10 yrs ago and wear Lowa's year round now. Tibet's in winter when needed and Camino's daily.
Knowing your proper size is key to deals.
Both NIB half price on EB. Sierra has deals,but rarely my size anymore. REI has deals too.

Wore out many hikers and tennis shoe styles in days before too.Wore every name work boot in my 66 yrs. None are what they were.
For general non hunting I am looking at American Made full leather to try next.

This topic comes up a lot and boots are by far the most subjective piece of gear one will ever own. A brand that one guy loves, may be hell on your feet. I have tried boots from cheap ones, to high end and the only ones that consistently do not hurt my feet are the Irish Setter Elk trackers which fall right in the middle. I run two versions of them in 400 and 1000 grams of insulation and use them extensively hunting in the northeast and on my annual hunting trips out west. These boots work for me and I doubt I will ever change as they are the only ones that don’t kill my feet after a couple of days of intense mountain hiking. They usually run for around $225. Some guys may balk at these, but my feet love them and I only listen to what they tell me. Everything else is just noise. Bottom line, you can try boots on at the store, but the true test will only come after a couple of days in the mountains. It’s a trial and error thing, at least it was for me.

Danner boots fit my feet better than anything I have ever tried. The problem is I never get more than a year out of them at work.

I have a pair of the Meindl Comfort Fit Hunters that I like a lot. A lot of folks say they don't require much break in but I did not find this to be the case. The more I wear them the better they feel.

Well I’ve got it narrowed down to Lowa Tibets, Hanwag Alverstones, Hanwag Alaskas, schnees beartooth 0g, and kenetrek mountain extremes. Any input on those options?

My Kenetrek 400 g Mountain Extremes are the best sidehill, steep terrain, mountain elk hunting boots I have ever hunted in. The ankle support and traction is the best. I have tried Danner, Red Wing, Vasque, and several others during decades of elk hunting. My Kenetrek Mountain Extremes clearly out perform the others.

BTW, my now third pair of Lowa Renegades are the most comfortable, stable hiking and backpacking boots I've owned.

Well I’ve got it narrowed down to Lowa Tibets, Hanwag Alverstones, Hanwag Alaskas, schnees beartooth 0g, and kenetrek mountain extremes. Any input on those options?
Depends on what you're looking for. The Lowa Tibets will be one of the stiffer boots in that lineup. The Beartooth probably one of the more flexible. You'll likely find some differences in fit and feel that will steer you one way or the other. The Beartooths are one a great sale right now, order fast and return them if you don't like them.

I wear the Solomon quest 4D gtx and though they are not leather they are super light, breathable, and waterproof. I have 2 pairs and each has several hundred miles on them. They have a 2 year warranty that if they leak or crack Solomon sends you a full price refund at retail price, which typically means your getting more than you paid for them. I seen them recently for $169 online. Just have to do lots of searching to find your size on sale.
Same here! I love those boots! Great option for non-insulated boots.

Another vote for Meindl. They are the best boots I’ve ever owned. I actually just got my new Vakuum Hunters today! They are the same as the Denali that Cabelas used to carry. They are above your price range a bit but well worth it IMO.

The Meindls are definitely on my list. Also looking Hanwag Alaska, Alverstone, and Tatra Top GTX

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back