Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Backpacking Jacket

I like the ingenuity. It's surely different. As a business owner myself who builds a proprietary product and caters to the outdoor/hunting community I love stuff like this. Good on you for putting your creative side to work.

Looks cool.

Pardon the pun.

But I do like it. My back has sweated too much with a backpack. This would help

Interesting idea, cool. Any possibility of having mesh/thinner material under the part that is removed to help keep the front of the jacket where it belongs? Maybe not an issue?

edit: Nevermind, I see you already thought of that too.

So, 90% of people that hear about this worry the jacket will fall off. Notice the Hiking and climbing that I'm doing in the video. We designed it to stay put. That's the Beauty :) There is a reason I paid $10,000 for a patent on this thing. Once people actually put it on, they realize it works well without the mesh back. 90% of the people after wearing it realize the potential of wearing it from the front and not having to remove the backpack. I figure it will take a few years to educate people.

If you sign up on the website I'll send out an Email before the Launch. The design is still being fin out but we are pretty sure we have it dialed into what we want inside and out.

People that buy my Camo ( Catch and Release Camo ) and fishing apparel ( C-SIK ) know I stand behind my gear 100% no questions asked. This jacket is no different and stepped up the product to the next level. This will be the Ferrari of Backpacking jackets and will have a life time warranty. We are still dialing in the price but will have a smoking deal on the kickstarter kick off this month.

For all you puffy wearers out there, Any thoughts on Primaloft ?

Here is a front yard Picture of a prototype with mesh though so you can see it.

PakJakMesh.jpg

Quite the thematic score on that vid... thought you’d get jumped by a lion and we’d see it’s made of rip stop as well😉. Interesting concept Oscar👍🏻

So we have several videos made and being made. Like on blades of glory (If you've seen that movie) The music gets you going !!!!!

I like the idea.
You should think about wearing it in orange because you move like a sasquach and some of those squach guys have vowed to bring one in dead or alive!
We are using Black Forest which is a Dark Green. If/When we hit our first goal we are adding a 2nd color. We haven't announced it and so many people are waiting to hear but Lets jsut say Orange isn't out of the top 5 choices. I don't worry about being caught by the Sasquatch crew though. Even in my older age I'm still agile enough to Elude chasers.

Interesting idea. What insulation are you using?

As of right now, the future is in breathability. I use this jacket and it is quite good https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/proton-fl-hoody.

Good luck with your project!

Man, that's a can of worms and we spent a lot of time sifting through what is best. Inside I'm pretty sure it's PrimaLoft I have found that to be what works best. they are recycling material better so its Eco Friendly, Its compatibility is great and even when it gets wet it doesn't leave you freezing like down does.

PrimaLoftGold.JPG

We are looking at several variety of jackets. There is a balance between waterproofing and breath-ability. We have come up with the best balance. Breath ability over shadows water proofing for sure.

You have to remember though. Your mindset is on a enclosed jacket. This breaths like no other in design, by design. The back is LITERALLY gone. Watch the video again and see the airflow though the back of the jacket. I wore a hoodie in the video because it was far below the freezing point but generally a good base layer shirt and you are set.

Full hoodies have the issue of the backpack sliding while you hike this eliminates that as well.

Now grant it, I'm bias seeing my baby I've created come to life, :) but hopefully the consumers in the backpack and hunter world think the same.

We are looking at several variety of jackets. There is a balance between waterproofing and breath-ability. We have come up with the best balance. Breath ability over shadows water proofing for sure.

You have to remember though. Your mindset is on a enclosed jacket. This breaths like no other in design, by design. The back is LITERALLY gone. Watch the video again and see the airflow though the back of the jacket. I wore a hoodie in the video because it was far below the freezing point but generally a good base layer shirt and you are set.

Full hoodies have the issue of the backpack sliding while you hike this eliminates that as well.

Now grant it, I'm bias seeing my baby I've created come to life, :) but hopefully the consumers in the backpack and hunter world think the same.

agreed, waterproof is usually overrated IMO because it also means you're actually wetter due to sweating more lol

how do you don the jacket? full zip seems pointless, but at the same time there is value in a zipper if you need to vent...i'm guessing a quarter zip would be really good with your jacket

edit- oh I just saw your other post. so it is, functionally speaking, a full jacket but with a different back. interesting!

This is a good looking pack-able puffy. It's designed to wear in a boardroom and no one will notice it doesn't belong. You can wear it backpacking for which it's designed, and you can wear it hunting. There are 3 FULL LENGTH zippers. One in the front, 2 in the back. The beginning of the video at 12 seconds in shows me removing the BACK portion of the jacket. At this point, you can zip back on the mesh part but I don't use it that way. To me, it defeats the purpose of the jacket. The next part of the video is how it goes on and quickly attaches at the top.

Video found here : www.pakjak.us

The full length zipper in front allows the jacket to come apart in 3 panels. It also allows hunters to access bino harnesses and and pockets they have inside. There is also 2 inside pockets in the jacket.

Lets be honest. Anyone here that knows me knows I'm a redneck and I'm a simple man. Not big into complexity. Nothing is complicated about this jacket. It is a regular jacket with a removable back. That simple. I just own the design and patent on it. It stays on with straps that are universal and attach to any brand backpack you already own. I'm showcasing it with a Initial Ascent backpack in the video because I own one and they are great local company and I really like the owners. I own 15 backpacks in different brands. Attaches to all of them. Frame, Load lifters, existing straps or loops, etc.

The back is wide open so it is a different back. We have patented up to 10 different locations of attachments. The most common and my preference in the top. In the back, I have designed "Extension wings" that attach to close the body side if you want. Lets be honest. I made accessories to sell to people that like accessories. It has a snap connection in the back if you want to use it with the extensions. I have in the works a Orange snap clip panel that flaps over the backpack when hiking out game. (It's not ready yet for the launch but coming). We have about 10 more features that we won't be able to launch this year but will add them as it grows in popularity.

Interesting ? Yah, It's a whole new way of thinking. People that have tried it almost all have it on Pre-order. So we're expecting a good launch. This post comes across as a long sales pitch sounding post but I wanted you to know the whats and why's !!

Tossing out a stupid idea for you. One of the things that hits me when I look at your jacket is trying to zip the thing back up. It may not be an issue but heck, I struggle enough with a regular coat :)

Why not have it zip and unzip just like a regular jacket, meaning, just one zipper in the middle, then just roll it and have a snap on the left and the right to keep is away from your back (kind of like you do with a tent door)?

As a skinny guy who gets cold quick, but hot very quick, but also cold quickly, but very hot and sweaty, but cold, etc. This is a great concept. I'll be following this as it is a legit issue I have.

Edit: FYI, the puffy actually looks really good.

Tossing out a stupid idea for you. One of the things that hits me when I look at your jacket is trying to zip the thing back up. It may not be an issue but heck, I struggle enough with a regular coat :)

Why not have it zip and unzip just like a regular jacket, meaning, just one zipper in the middle, then just roll it and have a snap on the left and the right to keep is away from your back (kind of like you do with a tent door

That isn't a stupid idea. We looked at this from a good - better - best standpoint. There are several other good and better options but removing the back ultimately was the best. (In my/our opinion).

I looked at that option and a few others. The main reason I didn't do it was comfort. Having a zipper right down the back when you are wearing the full jacket and leaning on a Chair puts a zipper right in your back. The other reason was bulk. strapping the tent door (Jacket flaps) to the side made the sides bulky. It did have more material to block wind but the concept was to open the back up for air flow.

Another option was to leave it attached but roll it up like a garage door. The bulk at the top of the jacket was too much. Even with a packable puffy. I also didn't want to limit options so removable and a replaceable back actually oped up so much more.

As a skinny guy who gets cold quick, but hot very quick, but also cold quickly, but very hot and sweaty, but cold, etc. This is a great concept. I'll be following this as it is a legit issue I have.

Edit: FYI, the puffy actually looks really good.

Sask, You think it's tough on Skinny guys, man, us fat guys struggle with heat and cold and have sweat like buckets to deal with in the cold. But it's not a fat/skinny, tall,short, male/female issue. It's an Anyone that has ever back packed issue. That's how this concept and reality came to be. We would hike and be cold so we took the jacket and put it on backwards. This kept the arms and front warm but let the air get to the back. Almost the High school "I'm too coo to wear a jacket right" way except it was out of needing it, not trying to look "cool".

I am definitely not a puffy jacket guy when hiking, not even in cold conditions. I get WAY to sweaty. My suggestion would be to make this in fleece. It is much more breathable. I can envision getting overheated in this jacket even with the back gone. I sweat in front as much as I do down the back. It would seem unzipping the front would not be an option unless the mesh insert is zipped into the back. Even in fleece jacket I can get quite sweaty in front hiking with my small Browning Wasatch pack but fleece would still definitely be better than plastic and puff. For stationary situations I think the puffy stuff would be great but best pulled out of the pack when one gets to the destination.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back