Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New arrows

I'm shooting black eagle outlaw 300 spines. With a 100 grain insert and 125 grain broadhead with a FOC at 17%. Yardage gots to be dead on once you get out to 50-60 yards like someone else said... Not sure I really like that part, considering going with a 40 grain insert instead.. but then I lose do much FOC if I do that...

Are there any resources on how increasing FOC affects spine needs? Or does it not make a huge difference? I assumed more weight up front could have an impact.

Are there any resources on how increasing FOC affects spine needs? Or does it not make a huge difference? I assumed more weight up front could have an impact.
It makes a difference.

I have an app on my phone called qSpine that helps a lot in spine selection

Ashby Reports

You definitely need to consider stiffening your arrow if you have a weaker spine (more flex). All the spine charts don't show the kind of weight up front you need to increase FOC >15%. I'm just starting down the road of high FOC. Up until now, I was shooting a 400 spine arrow with 100gr+light insert. I didn't even bother with trying them out and went to a 250 spine as I'm testing things out in the 550-650gr total weight with FOC 18-22%, thereabouts.

So far, the heavy arrows are nicer to shoot and the bow is a little quieter. I haven't been able to run through all the weight possibilities to see what performs the best.

I know a guy that had a carbon arrow splinter. I know it doesn't happen very often, but hearing him tell the story, and seeing the scars sold me 100% on FMJ shafts after that. I figured it was worth the extra money for the peace of mind.
My counter to that is that I shot FMJs for several years, then started to struggle getting and keeping tight groups. It only got worse and worse. I was so exasperated as hunting season was only days away, I threw one of the arrows across the table, in doing so noticed it didn't roll right. I then took all my FMJ arrows and spun them, all but two were bent. That last thing I need to worry about is to constantly be spinning my arrows to make sure they're holding true and straight.

Went through this last year with a new bow. Ended up with Axis 5mm 300's 50gr insert, 100gr head. I don't remember the FOC is was like 12-15% or so. My buddy put it into that arrow app and it said it was good. All I can say is they fly great.

Anyone care to comment on the Gold Tip brand?
I’m shooing 4 fletch gold tips. I believe Valkyrie is the model. I like that fact that I’m able thread on extra weights to the insert through the back end of the arrow with a long Allen wrench. Right now I shoot 100 grain heads with an additional 50 grains of weight up front. I’m not the most experienced when it comes to the more technical aspects of archery but they shoot well for me.

My counter to that is that I shot FMJs for several years, then started to struggle getting and keeping tight groups. It only got worse and worse. I was so exasperated as hunting season was only days away, I threw one of the arrows across the table, in doing so noticed it didn't roll right. I then took all my FMJ arrows and spun them, all but two were bent. That last thing I need to worry about is to constantly be spinning my arrows to make sure they're holding true and straight.
Interesting. I've been shooting the same batch for a while with no problems

I recently switched from Easton Axis to Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce and I don't know why I didn't switched earlier! These arrows pack a wallop! The penetration on target from these easily surpasses Easton Axis. I am shooting a older Diamond "The Rock" rated at like 310 fps and my buddy shoots a Hoyt Nitrux at about 330 fps with FMJ Arrows, both Gold tip and FMJ are 300 Spine. I am routinely burying the arrow significantly farther into the target than he does.

Grant, I would probably start with a goal arrow weight, and base it off of what will keep your speed in the 270-280 fps range. Anything faster than this and your bow is going to start to get louder fast....

Once you know that goal arrow weight you can start putting together an arrow and components much easier. I am still shooting the same Goldtip Kinetic shafts I found I liked 6ish years ago. They were going to discontinue them when they came out with the new pierce model, so I bought 3doz bare shafts, and now I am just running out. To get the weight I want in a new arrow, I am looking at the FMJs, specifically curious about the T64 Tapered FMJ. The other one I am looking at is the FMJ in the old XX75 woodland camo, the nostalgia gets me....

Grant, I would probably start with a goal arrow weight, and base it off of what will keep your speed in the 270-280 fps range. Anything faster than this and your bow is going to start to get louder fast....

Once you know that goal arrow weight you can start putting together an arrow and components much easier. I am still shooting the same Goldtip Kinetic shafts I found I liked 6ish years ago. They were going to discontinue them when they came out with the new pierce model, so I bought 3doz bare shafts, and now I am just running out. To get the weight I want in a new arrow, I am looking at the FMJs, specifically curious about the T64 Tapered FMJ. The other one I am looking at is the FMJ in the old XX75 woodland camo, the nostalgia gets me....
They still offer the Kinetics and the Kinetic Kaos models with the 11.6 gr/in https://www.goldtip.com/Hunting/Kinetic-Series.aspx

No. But, then again, I really wasn't in expectation of anything. They were just what one of my local shops had on the shelf and I had never heard of them before. Yes, I guess that I'm that "out of it".

However, I will say that your post sold me on a new dozen in 400 spine. Going to match with 130-150 broadheads.

Thanks guys. So great discussion here. I've watched a few of Ranch Fairy...he's a tough pill to swallow but once I got past his BS he does offer a lot and does implement a ton of Ashbys ideas.

Ross, I saw those T64 FMJ and have considered those to get better FOC. Also am considering Grizzly Sticks. The price on both is a bit alarming.

I'm considering something in the mid 500s for weight. We have a new bow shop here in town so I'm doing a full tune and start over with arrows.

Is that a half out or an insert with collar?

it’s victory’s insert/outsert (I’m pretty sure that’s what they call it. I know it goes over the shaft like a collar.

I'm down to 6 "shooter" arrows anyway so it's time for a new dozen.

Had a bit of a giggle to myself. Just been putting my old Pile Drivers in a pile for an upcoming hog slaying trip - a little over 4 dozen And same for recurve. Most of them have a 100gn brass insert up front and a 125gn broadhead, but have never actually measured FOC. The hit hard, even on the big hogs.

I went to the Axis 5mm for my Montana elk trip and really like their performance on critters. I went a bit over board with these also. While the exchange rate was good, I bought 5 dozen - I’d rather be looking at them, then for them. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back