Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New addition to the family

Jape

5CF0CCAF-00DC-43B3-9BBA-433C377A4B70.jpeg
Finally found my daughter a gun with a shorter stock and barrel that she can use on her first hunt this fall. Went with the Browning AB3 micro stalker in 6.5 creed. Debated between that and 7mm 08, but ultimately decided on this one (haters gonna hate)! At $499 I felt it was a great buy for her first rifle. They even had some ammo when I picked it up! Now to get some glass from Schmalts!

Awesome! Let us know how it shoots, I've Been debating one for our house. I really like the older Abolt micro but haven't been able to find one in the cartridge/condition that I'd like.

I will say that I am still solidly a .30 cal range guy for my hunting needs...... BUUUUUTTT......almost all of the firearms brands we have been training with for my PT gig at Scheels have been bringing mostly 6.5 guns (a lot of them suppressed) and there is simply no denying the inherent accuracy. In fact I made a 1072 yard shot on a man sized target with this Browning in that chamber..... :)

Attachments

• 20210217_114349.jpg
    20210217_114349.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
I will say that I am still solidly a .30 cal range guy for my hunting needs...... BUUUUUTTT......almost all of the firearms brands we have been training with for my PT gig at Scheels have been bringing mostly 6.5 guns (a lot of them suppressed) and there is simply no denying the inherent accuracy. In fact I made a 1072 yard shot on a man sized target with this Browning in that chamber..... :)
There is no such thing as "inherent accuracy".

Accuracy is a function of bullet, powder, barrel and most importantly the shooter.

The cartridge, straight walled or bottle neck, has no accuracy affect at all.

And don't get me started on "tactical"! :rolleyes:

There is no such thing as "inherent accuracy".

Accuracy is a function of bullet, powder, barrel and most importantly the shooter.

The cartridge, straight walled or bottle neck, has no accuracy affect at all.

And don't get me started on "tactical"! :rolleyes:
That is simply untrue. There are cartridge (case, primer, powder, bullet) combinations that produce better accuracy (especially at distance) with all else being equal. Add to that that, in this case, the weapons I was using were suppressed with almost no recoil (also a function of cartridge performance in that platform). If you look at performance of specific rounds being selected for high accuracy demands it becomes very clear that cartridge choice does matter. Perhaps in hunting applications the differences may be "splitting hairs" but not in precision shooting.

Here are just a couple of discussions....

As for "tactical"....in what context? In the military it has a very specific meaning as opposed to the consumer "tacti-cool" application.

View attachment 174640
Finally found my daughter a gun with a shorter stock and barrel that she can use on her first hunt this fall. Went with the Browning AB3 micro stalker in 6.5 creed. Debated between that and 7mm 08, but ultimately decided on this one (haters gonna hate)! At $499 I felt it was a great buy for her first rifle. They even had some ammo when I picked it up! Now to get some glass from Schmalts!

Any update on the rifle? I took my son to the gun store to try out all the rifles. He said he liked the AB3 the best, so I’m interested in your review of the gun. I’ve never owned a Browning …

I've shot several AB3, an A Bolt, & an X Bolt.
The AB3 isn't bad for the money.
Biggest complaint is the bolt travel isn't the smoothest.
The Ruger American is just as accurate, with a better bolt travel.
For about $150 more, the Tikka T3 has the smoothest bolt travel in it's class, with the accuracy to boot.

I've shot several AB3, an A Bolt, & an X Bolt.
The AB3 isn't bad for the money.
Biggest complaint is the bolt travel isn't the smoothest.
The Ruger American is just as accurate, with a better bolt travel.
For about $150 more, the Tikka T3 has the smoothest bolt travel in it's class, with the accuracy to boot.

Great info - thanks!

I shoot a T3X and love it! I had my son shoulder eight or nine different rifles at the store the other day, and he said the AB3 felt the most comfortable. Kids these days ...🤷‍♂️

Any update on the rifle? I took my son to the gun store to try out all the rifles. He said he liked the AB3 the best, so I’m interested in your review of the gun. I’ve never owned a Browning …
It’s been excellent. You can see the first couple shots were low (bore sighted) but after we adjusted she shot a nice 3-shot group. Recoil is manageable, fits her well, and components are good. No complaints at all. May get a directional brake but haven’t decided yet.
82678026-A157-432F-833E-21DEE4D62E49.png

Put the rounds we will be using for her deer hunt through the gun this morning before she had to head to school. I like the groupings. Need to make a couple minor adjustments but it’s almost there. Just ran out of time. Impressed so far.
View attachment 197607
What factory hunting ammo worked best in the shorter 20" barrel your daughter is using. I am about to buy the AB3 micro stalker for mine and want a couple good syarting points if you wouldn't mind recommending them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back