Nevada Unit 31 - Pronghorn

j.kennedy25

This year I drew a Nevada Unit 31 resident pronghorn tag, actually my first ever speed goat tag. I'm doing my due diligence to understand the unit before hunting season opens, that way I'm not driving around for 5 days without finding a decent buck to harvest. I started by e-scouting and noticed a large historical 2012 burn area and was curious to see if anyone has hunted in the areas post fire? Are the rivers dried up at the end of August?

I would like to do DIY Public Land hunting, but I have read in multiple threads that the larger bucks tend to reside on the alfalfa fields during the summer months...can anyone confirm or deny this? Do they have Trespass Fee Hunting in these areas? In the next couple weeks I'll end up driving over there to do my boots on the ground scouting, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Rivers - they are there because if distance of the channel, not volume.

A lot will be associated with agriculture. Don't overlook hunting near agriculture.

Hunt the valley floors to mountain tops. You will find antelope.

The burn should be good. That was a big fire, but we have had some good winters lately and this spring was awesome. Burns in that time frame are looking real nice now.

I called a biologist for my unit. He was super helpful. When I went scouting, the area exceeded my expectations. I am sure you will do great! I am not looking for score rather, ”You know if when you see it.” hopefully you get a big or ugly one!!!

hunted it 2 years ago, it was a wet year and antelope were in the agriculture, but also as high as they could get. I hunted the SE corner of the unit. Spend some time looking on the east side of the unit, just south of the Oregon border.

Rich

Thanks everyone! Since I've never been to that unit, this weekend I'm driving out there to do early early scouting, mainly looking for viewing ridges I'll use in August, available free water / pit tanks, and status of the roads. Everything I've read in the last two weeks points to it being a difficult area to hunt, especially if you want to harvest a 13-15" buck.

@mevertsen do you know if they allow access on the agriculture lands (fee or no fee) or would I setup within the BLM. Also, I couldn't find any restrictions on discharging firearms. I know in Washoe county I cannot shoot my rifle within "5,000 feet of any occupied dwelling".

@LostinOregon1 did you see a lot of hunting pressure when you were out there.

@gjensen to contact the unit biologist did you call the regional NDOW office?

I am not sure about accessing the land. There are a lot of farmers in the area. My in laws get hay up in Orovada. I will give them a call and see if I can put you in touch. Worst you can do is knock on doors.

It's antelope hunting. Most people around here are going to be done by noon opening day, like 50%. Know the roads, drive around, find antelope, shoot antelope and go home.

13-15 should be easy.

ETA - Just out a call into my FIL. He knows there are a lot of deer, not sure about antelope. He put a call k to the farmer, left a message.

Pm sent.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Since I've never been to that unit, this weekend I'm driving out there to do early early scouting, mainly looking for viewing ridges I'll use in August, available free water / pit tanks, and status of the roads. Everything I've read in the last two weeks points to it being a difficult area to hunt, especially if you want to harvest a 13-15" buck.

@mevertsen do you know if they allow access on the agriculture lands (fee or no fee) or would I setup within the BLM. Also, I couldn't find any restrictions on discharging firearms. I know in Washoe county I cannot shoot my rifle within "5,000 feet of any occupied dwelling".

@LostinOregon1 did you see a lot of hunting pressure when you were out there.

@gjensen to contact the unit biologist did you call the regional NDOW office?
My unit was out of the Fallon area. I called the Fallon field office and they transferred me to someone! Good luck

Yes, there was a lot of pressure as the bigger goats were already scouted and then killed opening morning.

Rich

Back