Nevada Elk 072, 073, 074 Late Any Legal Weapon NR Antlered Elk tag

Depends on weather and snow level. We were in there two years ago and on election day it was 70 degrees and the bulls let a few bugles rip. We found plenty of elk (and some quality bulls) not terribly far, but extremely high on the mountains that time of year. Backpack or truck camp, be ready to hike your ass off.

My gal says I'm a chronic over packer. Yes, I always take an extra 10 gallons of fuel, 2 spares, full tool kit, twice as much food and supplies as I think I need as you never know how long you will be having too much fun to leave. A little moisture on that Jarbidge road and you might not want to drive down it either. In Nevada terms the towns are not far away but in Indiana terms they might be. I always come from the south. The town of Wells has everything you need. If you need something special then Elko has it which is another 40 minutes east. A few times I came across the north side from Jackpot and its similar to Wells as far as services go. Saw a moose and wolves up on the north side which was awesome as Nevada is not supposed to have either.

I will attach a few photos to think about. See the white truck that slid off the road? that was a decent road but just a little rain on it. That truck might still be waiting for it to be dry enough to get out. The moose I saw and the terrain we hunted in the flats, foothills.2017-11-24 09.47.33.jpg2017-11-25 08.46.41.jpg2017-11-25 10.09.57.jpg

Thanks for the photos. I have seen several moose in the lower 48 but not a wolf. I read that there are mountain lions also in this region of NE Nevada.

Yep, there are enough that I always keep a $30 tag in my pocket. Not sure the cost for NR tag but your unlikely to just run across them. Seems i do every time i don't have my gun or the tag in my pocket. I almost took this one home from that same area unit 73 but it had kittens. The rule book says if they are spotted you cant take the mother. These didn't have spots as seen in the photo but they were pretty small so i didn't shoot. That and i was a bit in shock from having the big cat staring into my eyes at 10 feet with its kittens now on the other side of me.
2016-10-31 08.23.54.jpg2016-10-31 08.23.57.jpg

We just got back from a week camped at Jarbidge. We saw moose marbles but no moose. We did see a lion on top of Copper Mountain though! That country is so amazing.

Nice. I cannot wait to run around the place. I have also read to be careful with your drinking water in NE Nevada because of grazing cattle and sheep. Filter everything?

That late in the season most the livestock should be off the mountain. Better safe than sorry. I always use a steripen if it's running water and clean.

Those of Us that hold a tag for 72 better say a prayer, There is a rapidly growing fire just north of Charleston Reservoir. I was up scouting a week ago and it was extremely dry.

FFA35496-1E7D-44F9-9D9F-4BDF65CCEA5A.jpg

It’s an amazing area and it’s like finding Waldo in the sticks that are burnt. I’d recommend a good spottting scope and a chair to sit on. When you find one they can could be in some steep wicked country acroos the drainage

Online programs show that much of the area burned in 2008. Probably not much tinder left to burn with only 10 years of new growth.

There are plenty of tree stands left to burn. Those don't worry me. its that yellow cheat grass everywhere. That stuff will burn an entire mountain side in just a puff of wind. Be safe with any open flames. Im going to try and get up there in a few weeks scouting. Maybe see if that white truck was able to be pulled up or if they had to cut a path through the trees down below him. Hunting season getting close and I'm getting antsy!

My son had a tag in that area in 2009 after the fire. The area to the west and south of Charleston reservoir burned so hot there was not even stubs of sagebrush left. There is some great country to the north of Charleston and I sure hope it doesn't burn up.

Fire 100% contained this morning. Now I have One in my backyard, Out here North of Reno in Palomino Valley. It,s going to be along Hot Summer...Can,t wait till Nov.

I think Nevada Unit 072 is shut down right now including all of the campgrounds. The SugarLoaf fire is out of control per the news reports that I just read online. One article online said big fines for violating the closure. Smoke everywhere. Wow.

Yes the Mountain Cty and Jarbidge Ranger districts are closed east to the O’Neil Basin. Today was supposed to be cooler with higher RH and less wind so they were hoping to get it slowed down. I sure hope so. The closure is until Sept 30 unless it’s lifted before then.

I would be scared to pack in if not on horseback. It can drop a foot of snow over night. Last year was a zoo 450 tags between early and late season. I've hunted in there a lot pm me and I'll give you my phone#
Hey Jeremy, I have the late elk tag for unit 072. Do you have any suggestions for the late hunt?

Congrats! That is one of my favorite places on the planet. As stated, start getting in shape now. It is steep and the elk know all the nasty holes. Scouting is a must to decide where you want to hunt, it's a huge area. PM me if interested and I'll be happy to share any information I know. Congrats!
Hey elksdog, I drew unit 072 late elk hunt this year. I’d like to pick your brain a little if I could

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back