Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Nevada 161-164 or 171-173 Archery

I would like to get on an out of state archery deer hunt this year and am looking at areas fairly close to where I am located in CA since I will also be doing an Elk hunt out of state later in the year .

I have no points in Nevada but am looking and it seems to be about a 50% chance of drawing with no points. Are either of these tags worth looking at?

From reading it seems the best hunting is either in the Table mountain or Arc Dome wilderness areas of these units. I am fine with doing the work and hiking in.

Any opinions on the overall quality of these unit would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Daniel

Sure, you can draw those units pretty easy, however, don't get your hopes up on actually filling the tag. The % success for the units is 15% and 4% respectively (including res and nonres). Who knows, maybe you might be one of the lucky ones.

Beautiful country with a tag in your pocket. How could you go wrong? Might as well fill in your other 3 choices as well since NV considers all five before moving to the next app. Also, you always have a chance to draw any tag in NV because bonus points only give you more chances to draw a low number, but there can be only one lowest number. Love the NV draw system. I'd put 231 as your first choice if you are only interested in archery.

You can't go wrong with either of those areas. 101-109 can also be drawn with about the same odds.

You can't go wrong with either of those areas. 101-109 can also be drawn with about the same odds.

I have noticed that looking more at the odds. About the same odds but alot more people it seems. If you get away from the roads a few miles in unit 101 are there alot fewer people?

Thanks

The harvest rate in 101-109 is higher also. I too looked at the units you are looking at, but I would have added four hours on my drive. You can get away from people in 101-109. It is a tough hunt though. Tough, but unforgettable.

101-109 is the Rubies...be prepared...very prepared. Very rugged terrain and during archery season....hot! Even at 10,000 feet you will be sweltering. This pic is in unit 102.

Attachments

• rubies.jpg
    rubies.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 645
Maybe last year was an anomaly, but I found the weather to be VERY pleasant. I don't think it got above 80 degrees at my camp, which was at 9300 feet.

Here is another pic of the Ruby's during archery season.

Attachments

• DSCN1041.jpg
    DSCN1041.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 604
Thank you guys for the replys. Are there places in the rubies in the lower elevation sage that hold deer, like the area in your picture gr8bawana? Trying to get a friend to go along but he wouldn't be willing to hunt the backcountry like I want to

Thanks

There are deer that go into the posted alfalfa fields down in the Ruby valley. Once they leave the fields and cross the dirt road they are on public land. Most of it is thick pinions and junipers so that is where they are beding. I have seen mostly small bucks in the fields but a couple of years ago I saw a heavy 4 point with a 26-28 inch spread after shooting hours on the posted area.

Unit 104 would be an option. Find the water sources and you will find some decent bucks

Back