PEAX Equipment

Neutered or not

BT_NVhunter

Curious if anyone has any negative side to a hunting dog being spayed or neutered? Has anyone ever had experience where it effected their drive just curious I just got my hunting buddy. This is for birds not a hound but I figured if anyone would know it would be an old houndsman. Thanks in advance.

I don't believe it does. I typically do not spay/neuter until after they are at least a year old. At that time their bird dog training should be well under way and by then,and their "drive" should be there already.

Just went through this myself. I don't have a solid answer or opinion. I have 2 labs in the house right now. 1 nine year old male. I believe I had him fixed to early. I don't think clipping him effected his drive. I do believe it effected his physical development and weight negatively. The second dog is an 8 month old female. I was leaning toward waiting for the reasons I listed on the male, until she'd been through a cycle or 2. My vet convinced me to do it before first cycle, mainly because of cancer concerns. She is growing well and has a ton of drive.

I think you can find info that will support your view no matter what it is. I do know I don't want to raise pups.

Too much missing information, particularly the size of data bases for these studies. We know that genetics plays a big role in dog bone disorders, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that altering sexual hormone production could contribute to early onset bone problems in dogs genetically predisposed ... like we see in human women after menopause. However, I have owned nothing but early spayed female Labs my whole life and never encountered any bone issues. I think the data for mammary cancer in later age spayed dogs is pretty much accepted. None of my gals had any shortage of drive or energy. Ellie certainly has a surplus! Particularly for a Lab. Given she also has incredible pointing skills I have to wonder if a GSP wasn't wandering loose in the neighbourhood of one of her ancestors.

I don't fix until at least 2 years old. There is growing evidence in animal health science regarding the benefits of waiting.
Particularly in regards to long bone growth rates

Thought about it with Hank as he can't sire pups within his breed (testing requirements). Won't now as I don't attribute any of his "problems" to him having balls.

My beagles have always been fixed. And house dogs to boot. Some guys say it negatively impacts a dogs' hunt and drive but I've never seen that in my experience.

-Z

Got mine cut when he was a pup. Five years later he still dives into the thick stuff after roosters. I guess I never saw him hunt intact, but I cant say I'm disappointed with his drive now.

We were told to wait atleast 1 year when we got our male lab 10 years ago, no affect of drive (from some of the research I did, it sounded like you wont see any affect if you find a reputable breeder with great pedigrees); We're getting a female pup this summer and was told to wait after their first cycle from the breeder.

It's funny that every other species is easier to handle when castrated. My father insists that he wants his male dogs intact.

I wonder if anyone has done TRT on a neutered dog and seen an effect?

It's funny that every other species is easier to handle when castrated. My father insists that he wants his male dogs intact.

I wonder if anyone has done TRT on a neutered dog and seen an effect?

a good buddy has an unfixed male beagle I run my girls with. All his dog does is pee on everything the first hour of the hunt.

-Z

I have had labs my whole life and every one of them was "fixed" they all made it to at least fourteen and had no noticeable drop in desire. We always waited until they were a couple years old before the snip.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back