Caribou Gear

Neighbor hunters vent.

williaada

I live in MI and hunt on family property with my brothers and extended family. The last three days two different hunters have come over and asked my father or my brothers for permission to try and track the bucks they each shot and did not find within 100yards.

Both hunters told my family members the deer were at 30 and 35yards respectively. Based on seeing where the two people were hunting and the initial hit location. My brothers and father were able to determine one hunterl hit the deer in front of the front shoulder, and the second looks like it was way back. Neither arrow passed through.

I wish people would be more realistic about what their true range is. Speaking from experience with a bow I was only good to about 10yards. The bucks were as large or large than the two posted below.

Rant over!

Attachments

• 56C7B44A-CAFE-4746-8C3B-C2029A9E5F0A.jpeg
    56C7B44A-CAFE-4746-8C3B-C2029A9E5F0A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 5087A73F-D1A8-4932-8DB3-BFE238DCB2FE.jpeg
    5087A73F-D1A8-4932-8DB3-BFE238DCB2FE.jpeg
    418.5 KB · Views: 26
In Iowa if you shoot a deer on property you have permission to be on whether public or private you have the right to track/retrieve that animal. I can see where if someone is purposely hunting the property line it could be frustrating but I think it’s a good law. I’ve had it work both ways, where I’m tracking on the neighbors and also where the neighbor is tracking on me.

When I lived in Illinois we had some good neighbors but we had one neighbor who was not helpful. My dad put a shot on the biggest buck he’d ever shot. The neighbor came to help track, but it ran onto another neighbor. This neighbor was an out of state land owner and, possibly,the heir to the king of beers. When my dad and neighbor went down to ask permission they saw the buck already hanging up in the guys shed.

We would all be better off if acted neighborly and allowed game retrieval on each other’s properties.
As far as hunting the property lines last I checked my neighbor owns his entire property just like I do mine for something like hunting I can’t blame anyone for utilizing their entire property .

I should of stated earlier we let both hunters and their friends come across and look for the deer for as long as they wanted. My family would rather have the animal found and not let it go to waste.

I should note we found out while we were getting into our stands to hunt the evening and the morning. These guys were wandering around/tracking the wounded deer. There was no phone call prior for a heads up.

Things happen, but still sickening. The ranch next to ours allowed day hunters last year; had to shoot multiple deer w blown off jaws n legs last year. Heart Breaking!!!

Things happen, but still sickening. The ranch next to ours allowed day hunters last year; had to shoot multiple deer w blown off jaws n legs last year. Heart Breaking!!!
Oh my goodness that's horrible. Do these people not practice during the off season?

In Michigan, you have no legal right to persue an animal or bird that runs/flies onto private property without the owner's consent. Being a property owner, I believe that is the way that it should be. Just remember, if you tell someone "no", it could come around to bite you if it happens to you! Best to have a reciprocal policy with neighbors.

In Michigan, you have no legal right to persue an animal or bird that runs/flies onto private property without the owner's consent. Being a property owner, I believe that is the way that it should be. Just remember, if you tell someone "no", it could come around to bite you if it happens to you! Best to have a reciprocal policy with neighbors.
It helps when the neighbor and the people hunting call prior to coming on the property before ruining your hunt for the morning or evening.

This stuff is all too common. Saw a bunch of buzzards working and found a gut shot doe on our place yesterday.
I set my stands a fair distance from property lines to avoid the scenario of my deer going to the neighbors whenever possible.

Have also seen "line sitters" on many occasions hunt an otherwise bald field with no habitat and hang a stand in the only suitable tree against the neighbors property line and good habitat. They know darned well in this instance, a hit deer is going to wind up running into someplace they do not have permission.

That’s how it is in KY as well. And as it should be IMO.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back